If you are asked to leave, do you have to pay?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DEstes001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Western Hendricks County
    LOL!!!!

That is some funny dung right there....

Umm.... 'we' are not a concealed carry State.

Are your rights contingent upon not offending the sensibility of others?

Please tell me, spammaster...... I am soooo interested.

Sorry to have appeared so ignorant there Johnny, I have never claimed to be a professor of Indiana law. I THOUGHT we were a concealed carry state, my mistake. Obviously offending someone else is not something that bothers you at all. I am NOT a spammer, I am a new member that was simply trying to contribute to a post but I will just hang back for a while and watch you to see how the pro does it. Sorry to have offended you. You were so worried about that 2nd amendment that you forgot all about the first one!! Go figure.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    If the server isn't willing to stand up and tell the manager to pound sand on this issue of fundamental Constitutional rights, screw `em.

So because the server may or may not be willing to risk his/her own job over an issue involving someone else, they deserve to not be paid? What about restaurants with a "server pays for walk-outs" policy that is a signed contract? So lets say both happen, you walk out and don't pay or tip, now they've paid for your free meal and got nothing out of it for your rights, seems fair in some sick twisted reality that I don't live in.

Basically what I'm saying is, doing the right thing is great and I'd love to stick up for you because I know what's right but in the end if you're willing to screw me over, why would I help you? My job isn't to defend customers to my managers, it's to serve my customers food and drink. If you want me to defend your constitutional rights, I'm going to require the fee of an attorney because I don't work pro bono.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    If I'm asked to leave (Which I've never been asked to do) I wouldn't pay.

Going out to eat is more than just consuming food. It's the atmosphere, a pleasant staff that says things like "right away/my pleasure/thank you", and it's the moment at the end where everyone you pass says "Thanks for coming, please come back soon!"

If I'm asked to leave, I'm being told that my absence is worth more than my money.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So because the server may or may not be willing to risk his/her own job over an issue involving someone else, they deserve to not be paid? What about restaurants with a "server pays for walk-outs" policy that is a signed contract? So lets say both happen, you walk out and don't pay or tip, now they've paid for your free meal and got nothing out of it for your rights, seems fair in some sick twisted reality that I don't live in.

Basically what I'm saying is, doing the right thing is great and I'd love to stick up for you because I know what's right but in the end if you're willing to screw me over, why would I help you? My job isn't to defend customers to my managers, it's to serve my customers food and drink. If you want me to defend your constitutional rights, I'm going to require the fee of an attorney because I don't work pro bono.
    If they signed such a contract, then it's incumbent on them to not serve any expensive food to people they know are likely to be asked to leave before completing the meal.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    If you ate the food, you should pay for what you ate. If you are asked to leave, you should verify why you are being asked to leave. Pay for what you ate and leave. You may not agree with the "rules" they are trying to impose upon you.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    the amount of people who complained that the last march on the capitol was on a week day end they didnt want to take the day off work to stand up for their rights and you want a server who is working a job to support their family or to put them self through school to loose their job to stand up for those rights for you?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I will confess I did not read all 130 posts, and I am only playing the devil's advocate anyway, but if we are a conceal carry state, we should be responsible enough to not even allow our firearm to be noticed in the first place. I wish I were more informed on our laws regarding this though. Is it illegal to carry a gun if it is visible to the public? I make sure mine is not as to not intimidate someone who may not like guns. Just curious. But as to the question at hand, I agree with the majority, pay my bill, leave a nice tip, and politely inform the management I will never be back.

LOL!!!!

That is some funny dung right there....

Umm.... 'we' are not a concealed carry State.

Are your rights contingent upon not offending the sensibility of others?

Please tell me, spammaster...... I am soooo interested.

Sorry to have appeared so ignorant there Johnny, I have never claimed to be a professor of Indiana law. I THOUGHT we were a concealed carry state, my mistake. Obviously offending someone else is not something that bothers you at all. I am NOT a spammer, I am a new member that was simply trying to contribute to a post but I will just hang back for a while and watch you to see how the pro does it. Sorry to have offended you. You were so worried about that 2nd amendment that you forgot all about the first one!! Go figure.

NOOB FIGHT!!!!! :rockwoot:

You're doing OK, DEstes001. Perhaps Johnny should sit back a watch a bit.

A lot of folks think CC is the only way either because of tribal knowledge passed down to them or they come from states like Texas where CC is the only way.

zombieglock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Always pay and tip. We are trying to set good examples regardless of how upset we are. Maybe that one time you do, could trigger a chain of good events for gun holders.

half-glocked

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    It would depend on a few things. Am I finished with my meal? If I am not finished with my meal I would not pay for it. In a restaurant you are not just paying for food. You are paying for time at a table, service, and atmosphere. You "just pay for food" at the grocery store. If I am finished with my meal and ready to leave anyway then I yes I would pay.
    To-go boxes would not really make a difference to me. I do not eat left overs very often. I prefer my expensive restaurant food to be warm.
    Tipping would depend. Did the waiter or waitress have anything to do with reporting the firearm? Were they polite and respectful? If they provided good service and were respectful I would tip regardless of whether I paid for my food or not.

As a former waitress, just to let you know, in every restaurant that I ever worked at in my 6 years of serving, for any customer that you wait on, it is your responsibility to collect the money from the customer. If the table leaves without paying, that total does not automatically get deleted from your running tab for your shift. It takes a merciful manager to delete it (especially restaurants with electronic systems). Any tip you, as a customer, leave would just go towards the bill that had been left unpaid.

Also, you have no idea how much damage can be done to a group's character by an unwitting patron in a restaurant. I beg of you, as a gun-owner, if this kind of situation arises, respond with more class than any one-upping, gun-fearing, and uneducated Manager that would ask you to leave when you had broken no law could ever possibly hope to muster.

And please do not punish the staff. Waitresses make $2.13 an hour.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    As a former waitress, just to let you know, in every restaurant that I ever worked at in my 6 years of serving, for any customer that you wait on, it is your responsibility to collect the money from the customer. If the table leaves without paying, that total does not automatically get deleted from your running tab for your shift. It takes a merciful manager to delete it (especially restaurants with electronic systems). Any tip you, as a customer, leave would just go towards the bill that had been left unpaid.

Also, you have no idea how much damage can be done to a group's character by an unwitting patron in a restaurant. I beg of you, as a gun-owner, if this kind of situation arises, respond with more class than any one-upping, gun-fearing, and uneducated Manager that would ask you to leave when you had broken no law could ever possibly hope to muster.

Then what is your suggestion to counter?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

So, if I'm told to leave but choose to go look for my waiter/waitress to pay the tab instead, will they come bail me out of jail and cover my legal fees after I'm arrested and charged with trespassing? If I'm asked to leave, for any reason, and don't, I am trespassing. Sorry, but I am not going to jail because you chose to work for an idiot.

joemich1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    no way I'd pay for my meal. As soon as they said leave I would leave. if you don't leave you are now trespassing, let them deal with the food cost. And if they seen you come in with it i'm sure they would not wait till your finished eating then ask you to leave.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I went to a restaurant that serves chips and salsa as an appetizer. After eating about half of the chips I notices dried salsa on the chips at the bottom. Needless to say I left.

Should I have paid for the chips I ate or for the chips the last customer didn't eat?

Seriously, I would be surprised if any restaurant that told a customer to leave for any reason would ask to be paid or even expect it. One might tip the server since it isn't her fault.

half-glocked

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    So, if I'm told to leave but choose to go look for my waiter/waitress to pay the tab instead, will they come bail me out of jail and cover my legal fees after I'm arrested and charged with trespassing? If I'm asked to leave, for any reason, and don't, I am trespassing. Sorry, but I am not going to jail because you chose to work for an idiot.

I would counter with I wouldn't ask you to go to jail (nor would any waitress in that situation). All that I was answering was the one scenario that I quoted, where it seemed that there was a willful intent to "stick it to the man".

I was pointing out that there are more factors in play if paying is an option. Now if your server isn't around and the manager is forcing you to leave (this happened to me only once when a clearly inebriated regular decided it was okay to call me the "c" word, obviously nowhere close to an open carry issue on the spectrum of disruption) then obviously the restaurant's number one priority is to get the unruly customer out and the tab would be deleted from the server's final check out.

But if, as I took the scenario I originally quoted, the whole exchange is more civilized and not paying the tab was a way to try to register protest, I have had a hard-ass manager make me cover a bill that was left unpaid by unsatisfied customers. And you are correct, after that happened, I did chose to end my employment, but that was a steep $100+ lesson to learn.

All I meant to say was greet any situation with class, but for goodness sake don't go to jail over it! :twocents:

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany
    If I'm understanding you right you're saying if they ask you to leave because you are carrying? If thats the case they can go to hell, because if it is that big of a concern to them they need to have domething posted on the front door stating that no one is to carry while inside. If they don't then they really don't have the right to ask you to leave. So, if they are willing to make me leave then my money is leaving with me.

So if I'm understanding YOU right, we have the right to carry, but an owner of a restaurant does not or should not have the right to ask you to leave for whatever reason he wants?

If its my business I may toss someone out for having pink hair, this is as much my right as it is my right to carry. On a side note, if I ran my business that way, I wouldn't be in business long. However, it is also my right to run my business right into the ground, we should be respectful of that right and help this business along :)

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So if I'm understanding YOU right, we have the right to carry, but an owner of a restaurant does not or should not have the right to ask you to leave for whatever reason he wants?
    Not at all. We have the RKBA, including CCing or OCing. You also have the right to eat the cost of the meal you interrupted or denied us in whole or part when you invoke the criminal trespass statute by you or your designated agent (waitress) asking us to "leave".

If its my business I may toss someone out for having pink hair, this is as much my right as it is my right to carry. On a side note, if I ran my business that way, I wouldn't be in business long. However, it is also my right to run my business right into the ground, we should be respectful of that right and help this business along :)
    Absolutely, just don't be expecting those you toss to pay up.

Top Bottom