• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kmoffett71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2015
    Plainfield
    I want the ultimate home defense weapon/firearm....nothing specific. I want options. My son says he wants theM134 GAU-17 “Vulcan”

His experience for this is Xbox....LOL

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    vo124lwa.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Having fired lots of military hardware, I can say with confidence that the M134 (MK44) is pretty cool, and everybody should fire it once in their life if they have the chance. That being said it's maintenance intensive, finicky, and not as "usable" as many would think. Because it has so much recoil and it's heavy it's limited to stationary or vehicle mounted use. Because of the recoil the mounts "kick back" a little after you begin firing, changing point of aim and you must correct for it; you will burn 50+ rds before you can even correct your POA after you begin firing. Even if you have unlimited lifetime ammo, the ammo boxes only hold so much and they are a MAJOR PITA to refill... the teams I worked with that were using them just used them for a show of force, suppressing fire, spray & pray type gun. Many preferred a weapon that could be dismounted from the vehicle and hand-carried if necessary. A dual M240 mount can put out about half the rate of fire of the M134 and it can fill the hands of 2 guys if the vehicle needs to be abandoned. Of course that's speaking of military tactics and not necessarily range-fun...

My personal choice would be a MK48 (lightweight 7.62 machinegun). Having fired the MK48, M240's, M134, M79, among other lesser known military hardware I always come back to the MK48 as just putting a smile on my face every time... it's recoil is predictable (easily corrected), it's effective, and it's reliable.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    5"/54 caliber MK42...my baby (NEC 0876) for four years.
    All ships that carried it are now decommissioned, so there should be plenty of spares lying around.
    Since ammo wouldn't be a problem, as per the premise, the one real stumbling block would be finding a big enough shooting range for it, since its range is fifteen (!) miles.
    Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Jefferson Provings Grounds, a little north of Madison, IN. My parents attended Hanover College and would hear the occasional big gun go off...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Jefferson Provings Grounds, a little north of Madison, IN. My parents attended Hanover College and would hear the occasional big gun go off...

I still have the audio recording I made of the one (a mod 9...my first ship had a mod 10) on my second ship firing, along with one of our M2s and our CIWS (Doppler radar controlled Vulcan cannon).

Top Bottom