If you worked downtown Indy...How/what would you carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RealTree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    Greenwood

To complicate matters further, what would you do if your employer has a no firearms policy inside the building?

Interested to see if any of you have run into the same issue as me.

Thanks in advance!

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I do work in downtown Indy. I open carry a Smith 642 everyday to work. My employer does have a no firearms in the building policy, but it is not rigidly enforced and everyone knows I carry because most of them also do so.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If one decided to go against the policy of their employer, they could carry a Bersa .380 in an ankle holster.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I work downtown and usually carry a S&W 638 IWB. Im not positive what my employers policy is on carrying while on the clock. He is a gun owner but right now we are using the dont ask dont tell policy I guess.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I think a large sword or battle axe would be cool. :rockwoot:

They'd be cool with non-firearms in the building, right?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

To complicate matters further, what would you do if your employer has a no firearms policy inside the building?

Interested to see if any of you have run into the same issue as me.

Thanks in advance!

Full-size M&P .45, IWB. Plus a pocket pistol for BUG and on-the-clock periods. When I get to my office, the M&P goes into my coat pocket and put in my office.

Any company's "no firearms policy" is trumped by my personal "desire to survive policy." I can find another job. My 7 year old can't find another daddy.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I work in the center of downtown. The two owners of the company both carry, and allow me to do so as well because of my position in the company. Yea, it's a tad bit elitist....

I usually just rock the LCP in my front pocket. I do have a lot of interaction with clients and occasionally have to physically RUN, so I fore-go attempting to carry my sr9c or any other fuller sized handgun.

On a side note, I've been within 15 feet to 50 yards of the last 3 shootings downtown. Once before I had my LTCH (the drive by shooting during EXPO), and the other after I had my LTCH (the two shootings 2 months ago on the same night... 15 minutes apart). It's amazing how differently you react to that scenario when you have better tools to deal with the situation.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    106mm recoilless rifle mounted on a mule (just like in the picture below). This was my favorite weapon in the USMC. The 50 cal spotting rifle on top is a plus also. I wouldnt let anyone get within a 1,000 yards of me.

106mmrecriflemule.jpg

Last edited:

MADMAN3374

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    I used to work downtown I was forced to resign because of a medical condition. If I have to go to town for any reason these days I carry my Kimber TLE2 and a least 2 spare mags. I carry in a Kirkpatrick Texas Strong Side.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Kel Tec P3AT in a pocket holster, strong side, or weak side ankle holster tucked inside a cowboy boot.
    PF9 (or other insert sub-compact handgun) under a button down with snaps weak side cross draw
    Glock 19/23 sized compact IWB at 5 or 7 O'clock.
    one or all of the above.

RealTree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    Kind of tough to carry IWB wearing a suit and tucked in shirt. I think ankle holster is the way to go. It's not so much needing the gun at work but the walk to and from the garage. I wish we had a don't ask and I won't tell you I'm carrying policy...would make things much easier. Thanks for the replies!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If I had to deep conceal...

I'd SERIOUSLY consider one of the pocket pistols from KelTec or the Ruger LCP.

The micro pistols from Kahr could also be an option.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I used to deep carry, until the new law made carrying on Lilly property a federal offense....

heh, now I work on a military base, zero carry.... but my neighborhood is much safer :)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I really don't know what I would do if I worked in a place where my employer didn't allow firearms.

My family likes to eat, so I would hate to risk getting fired. I would probably conceal a big ass knife instead.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Kind of tough to carry IWB wearing a suit and tucked in shirt. I think ankle holster is the way to go. It's not so much needing the gun at work but the walk to and from the garage. I wish we had a don't ask and I won't tell you I'm carrying policy...would make things much easier. Thanks for the replies!
    Have you loked into the tuckable IWB holsters? The MTAC I mentioned in the earlier post is available with Velcro belt clips and is made to carry under a tucked in shirt. Carrying that way does make for somewhat slower draw, but it will allow you carry a larger, more effective gun, and will still be faster then an ankle rig. I have carried a 5" XD Tactical under a dress shirt and tie and no one around me had a clue, even people that know that I carry didn't see it.

Top Bottom