• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .Bear.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Hello all,

I'm an Illinois resident with an FOID card. (I know that means nothing to the rest of the country, lol) In the past I would drive to the Winamac outdoor range and target shoot with my rifles & handguns. I've recently heard that I'm not allowed to shoot handguns there (rifles only)? :dunno: Is this the case?

Thank You,
    Bear

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    As long as you are transporting the guns properly I see no reason why you could not shoot a pistol there. Since Illinois does not offer a carry permit you do have to have the guns locked up and out of reach while transporting. Also welcome to the forum.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm not familiar with that range, but barring any restrictions of THEIRS, you should be good to go.

I'm fairly certain your FOID card acts as LTCH here. I could be wrong on that point, and if I am I'm sure others will be by shortly to let both of us know.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Reliable hearsay is great. Hearsay in general is fraught with mis-information.

Who imparted this gem to you?

Relevant law in a nutshell:

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by a person convicted of domestic battery; exceptions
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (5) the person carries the handgun: (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    IC 14-22-31.5-3
    "Shooting range" defined
    Sec. 3. As used in this chapter, "shooting range" means an area designed and operated for the use of archery, rifles, shotguns, pistols, muskets, or similar firearms that are fired at silhouettes, skeet, trap, paper, stillboard, or other similar targets.
    As added by P.L.134-1996, SEC.4.
    I would guess Winamac falls under the above. The law does not stipulate you must be an Indiana resident, or even an Earthling, to carry (and fire) under the law.

I would NOT assume that a FOID would be recognized as an LTCH here. It doesn't impart that privilege to an Illinois resident in Illinois, so why would it here in Indiana?

.Bear.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Due to the Illinois laws, I always transport guns unloaded & in cases out of reach while on the road.

.Bear.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    There's a guy I work with here in Illinois that lives in IN.. He said Winamac had signs up stating IL residents could not use their handguns in IN while at the range.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The hearsay, if nothing has changed, was correct.
    In fact at another close by F&W area (JP) the person on duty checked for handgun permits (this a few yrs ago).

In the old days one (IN res) had to have a hunting and target or personal protection permit to bring a handgun to the range.

Indiana law has supposedly changed.

The changes may apply to IN residents only, dunno.

My brother lived in Illinois and when we went to BP to look at a Browning OU for him he had to show a FOID card. The gent behind the counter asked where my card was and I told him I was an IN resident and he just handed me the shotgun (dunno the legalities of that, just relating what happened).

There may be special conditions at State ranges if Illinois has issues of reciprocity.

Last edited:

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    IL citizens may NOT shoot guns ...

... while at IN gun-ranges. Winamak is specifically posted, although the note is continually defaced. NO IL bullets allowed into Winamak backstops, pistol or rifle. I assume it is an IN law. EBG

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

IL citizens may NOT shoot guns ...

... while at IN gun-ranges. Winamak is specifically posted, although the note is continually defaced. NO IL bullets allowed into Winamak backstops, pistol or rifle. I assume it is an IN law. EBG

This should have been qualified in purple text.

The hearsay, if nothing has changed, was correct.
    In fact at another close by F&W area (JP) the person on duty checked for handgun permits (this a few yrs ago).

In the old days one (IN res) had to have a hunting and target or personal protection permit to bring a handgun to the range.

Indiana law has supposedly changed.

The changes may apply to IN residents only, dunno.

My brother lived in Illinois and when we went to BP to look at a Browning OU for him he had to show a FOID card. The gent behind the counter asked where my card was and I told him I was an IN resident and he just handed me the shotgun (dunno the legalities of that, just relating what happened).

There may be special conditions at State ranges if Illinois has issues of reciprocity.

The recent changes in Indiana law applies to everyone. If you are able to possess a handgun, you are so permitted to shoot the same at a range within the Hoosier state.

Have fun shooting your pistols at Winimac.

.Bear.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Another hurdle to legal, responsible gun owners in America.

IDNR is in the process of suing Buffalo outdoor Shooting Range in Ottawa. I can't shoot anywhere anymore.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Another hurdle to legal, responsible gun owners in America.

IDNR is in the process of suing Buffalo outdoor Shooting Range in Ottawa. I can't shoot anywhere anymore.

What are you talking about?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I like Winamac range, but I can't control who uses it..........like my dad said last week, he and a bud were shooting and another guy and son showed up, went to far bench to set up and the kid just walks down range to hang a target.

Pops yelled to the other shooter to hold and they both did.

Kid never broke stride.

Pops and his buddy just moved to the hundred to get away from the morons.

Missed a teaching opp, so he says.

Told him I wouldn't have wasted the breath, the kid's old man saw it and did nothing.

.Bear.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    What are you talking about?

I was posting wile you posted. I didn't see your reply until after I posted mine.. So... You say the IN laws have changed & I am allowed to shoot my handguns at Winamac?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I was posting wile you posted. I didn't see your reply until after I posted mine.. So... You say the IN laws have changed & I am allowed to shoot my handguns at Winamac?

Go to post no. 4 in this thread, and read the relevant law upon the subject.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    This should have been qualified in purple text.

The recent changes in Indiana law applies to everyone. If you are able to possess a handgun, you are so permitted to shoot the same at a range within the Hoosier state.

Have fun shooting your pistols at Winimac.

Yeah, if you're a "person" you're covered under the law. Don't let your dog carry, however.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    I'm not familiar with that range, but barring any restrictions of THEIRS, you should be good to go.

I'm fairly certain your FOID card acts as LTCH here. I could be wrong on that point, and if I am I'm sure others will be by shortly to let both of us know.

As far as I know the FOID does not act as LTCH, it it what is required by the State of Illinois to purchase/possess firearms if you are an resident of IL. It's basically the State Police saying "Yeah, you aren't a criminal, you can buy guns."

But please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going off my experiences when I lived there a little while ago.

Top Bottom