• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Due to the Illinois laws, I always transport guns unloaded & in cases out of reach while on the road.

Correct me if im wrong, in Illinois with a FOID card you can have your gun loaded and say...in the center console and be legal....or even the glove box.

No?

And Welcome to INGO!

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    As far as I know the FOID does not act as LTCH, it it what is required by the State of Illinois to purchase/possess firearms if you are an resident of IL. It's basically the State Police saying "Yeah, you aren't a criminal, you can buy guns."

But please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going off my experiences when I lived there a little while ago.

Until the people of Illinois pull their heads from their respective "polling places", and changes the state government that creates such laws....you are correct.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Correct me if im wrong, in Illinois with a FOID card you can have your gun loaded and say...in the center console and be legal....or even the glove box.

No?

And Welcome to INGO!

From Handgunlaw.us

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Note: The Illinois Supreme Court ruled on 10/8/2009 (Docket # 106367) that the Center Console of a vehicle was a case and anyone with a FOID Card could carry an unloaded firearm in the closed Center Console. This applied to one case and other laws also apply to carrying firearms in vehicles. I would use extreme caution when carrying firearms in vehicles in Illinois. If you are a non resident of Illinois you do not have a FOID Card issued by the State of Illinois. Those with a FOID Card can transport a firearm differently than those who do not. I would follow the wording in the Q&A below. You can Read the IL Supreme Ct Decision Here.

I have also been informed that carrying a firearm in a center console would violate 520 ILCS 5/2.33 of the game laws and is a minor non-criminal citation. This law is very specific on transporting firearms and has stood up in the courts. If you are charged under the game law for not having a cased firearm you can not continue your journey with it as you would still be breaking the law. The firearm will be taken and you will have to go to the authorities to get it back.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    I'm not familiar with that range, but barring any restrictions of THEIRS, you should be good to go.

I'm fairly certain your FOID card acts as LTCH here. I could be wrong on that point, and if I am I'm sure others will be by shortly to let both of us know.
    That is ABSOLUTELY FALSE!

It even says, right on the FOID card, that it IS NOT a permit to carry a firearm. If the card doesn't allow carrying a firearm in the People's Republic of Illinois, the state that issued it, it certainly does not allow carrying one here.

Why would you even think that it does?

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    Illinois residents shoot at Redbrush all the time!

QUOTE=.Bear.;2863775]Hello all,

I'm an Illinois resident with an FOID card. (I know that means nothing to the rest of the country, lol) In the past I would drive to the Winamac outdoor range and target shoot with my rifles & handguns. I've recently heard that I'm not allowed to shoot handguns there (rifles only)? :dunno: Is this the case?

Thank You,
    Bear[/QUOTE]

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Hello all,

I'm an Illinois resident with an FOID card. (I know that means nothing to the rest of the country, lol) In the past I would drive to the Winamac outdoor range and target shoot with my rifles & handguns. I've recently heard that I'm not allowed to shoot handguns there (rifles only)? :dunno: Is this the case?

Thank You,
    Bear
    IN law used to have a stupid prohibition on carrying even an unloaded&cased handgun in your vehicle unless you were taking it to a gunsmith, or home from a gunshop, unless you had a license or were traveling through the state (Volkmer act). That idiocy was scraped this year in a bill that reinforced the existng state pre-emption law.
    Without a carry license, your handgun will still have to be unloaded/cased in the trunk, but there's no other issue with bringing it--double check what I said. I'm not a lawyer I'm just playing one online:):

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    IN law used to have a stupid prohibition on carrying even an unloaded&cased handgun in your vehicle unless you were taking it to a gunsmith, or home from a gunshop, unless you had a license or were traveling through the state (Volkmer act). That idiocy was scraped this year in a bill that reinforced the existng state pre-emption law.
    Without a carry license, your handgun will still have to be unloaded/cased in the trunk, but there's no other issue with bringing it--double check what I said. I'm not a lawyer I'm just playing one online:):

Lots of people stayed at Holiday Inn Express lately ;)

http://youtu.be/ZlCLuIwuVgQ

ILFarmer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    EC IL
    Until the people of Cook and DuPage counties pull their heads from their respective "polling places", and changes the state government that creates such laws....you are correct.

There ya go, fixed it.:D

EAGLE115

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    HAMMOND
    Hello all,

Thank You,
    Bear

Deb s gun range, in Hammond, has no problem w/IL. residents shooting at their range. I don t think they evenask to see ur FOID unless U want to rent a gun.

So I doubt that their is any law against it. My friend from IL. told me he saw a sign saying IL. res. could not use handgun range at Willow Slough when we were their w/our muzzleloaders awhile back.

I never noticed it. I d call & ask. Maybe it s some stupid IDNR rule. :ar15:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    It's my understanding, knowing a few Illinois gunowners, that taking a class then obtaining a Florida or Utah concealed carry permit allows them to carry a handgun once they leave Illinois.

Concerning Indiana residents, does Indiana not still require a hunting and target permit, with which you must have a handgun unloaded, in a case ect while you transport it and if you have it on your person it cannot be concealed? That was the law at one time, in fact several years ago I had a hunting and target permit. That may have changed.

Last edited:

EAGLE115

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    HAMMOND
    Maybe DNR dosen t want people on their property using handguns w/out a permit.

I don t know what the exact law is but last year, during firearms season, I was walking back to my truck, from my stand, and a Conservation Officer pulled up to check my hunting license & also asked if I had a permit for my .357. Which was in a cowboy style holster on my hip out in the open. :ar15:

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Do you have a source for these rules?

The last time I was at a DNR range it was in the posted rules for the range.I copied and pasted this from the Indiana Code for the DNR. It is also referenced in the Indiana Firearms law IC 35-47-2-3.
    312 IAC 8-2-3
    Sec. 3. (a) A person must not possess a firearm or bow and arrows on a DNR property unless one (1) of the following
    conditions apply:
    (1) The firearm or bow and arrows are:
    (A) unloaded and unnocked; and
    (B) placed in a case or locked within a vehicle.
    (2) The firearm or bow and arrows are possessed at, and of a type designated for usage on:
    (A) a rifle;
    (B) a pistol;
    (C) a shotgun; or
    (D) an archery;
    range.
    (3) The firearm or bow and arrows are being used in the lawful pursuit of either of the following:
    (A) A wild animal on a DNR property authorized for that purpose.
    (B) A groundhog as authorized under a license.
    (4) The person possesses a handgun on a DNR property other than a reservoir owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
    or Falls of the Ohio State Park:
    (A) with a valid unlimited license to carry a handgun:
    (i) issued under IC 35-47-2-3; or
    (ii) recognized under IC 35-47-2-21(b); or
    (B) pursuant to an exemption to handgun licensure requirements as authorized under IC 35-47-2-2.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (a)(1) or (a)(4), a firearm or bow and arrows may not be possessed on DNR properties

Illinois doesn't issue permits for handguns.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The last time I was at a DNR range it was in the posted rules for the range.I copied and pasted this from the Indiana Code for the DNR. It is also referenced in the Indiana Firearms law IC 35-47-2-3...

Thanks. They obviously hadn't caught up with the changes Indiana enacted a year ago.

IC 35-47-2-1 (b)(5)(A) now specifically excepts a person to carry a handgun at a shooting range without a license.

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks. They obviously hadn't caught up with the changes Indiana enacted a year ago.

IC 35-47-2-1 (b)(5)(A) now specifically excepts a person to carry a handgun at a shooting range without a license.

Thank You, I havn't been to a DNR range in a few years since I belong to a local pistol range. The DNR rules are in a pdf file and I had to do some digging to find them, but I do remember the permit thing being posted. It appears they haven't caught up.

Top Bottom