I'll never carry a copy of my LTCH again!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    As for not carrying your SSN, at least in Indiana, you also need to get it off of your drivers license. Unless requested, the DMV will use your SSN on the license, and of course, the bad guys know that. Also wanted to check on carrying your LTCH, so I called a friend who is a deputy. He said if you are carrying and cannot show your LTCH, you will immediately find yourself in the back seat of the cruiser; cuffs optional. Probably not a good time to pose an attitude, either.
    SS numbers haven't been on drivers licenses for nearly ten years. And the practice of the BMV using your SS number as your DL number stopped before that. So no worries on that method of someone getting your SSnumber.

Stay safe.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the update Flannel. I got rid of mine a long time ago and was not aware they don't do that anymore. As for the folks who do not want to carry their LTCH, you have every right to feel violated and pushed on. However, do you really think a cop that has just found you armed, and unable to prove you have a LTCH, is going to leave you alone while s/he checks you out? I believe you will be in the back of that car faster than you can stand on your soapbox. "Well, your honor, I found Mr. Smith armed without a permit, and he was increasingly belligerent, so to insure his safety, and mine, I placed him in the back of my cruiser."

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    A long time ago I got into the habit of making a photo copy of everything I have in my wallet, about every 3-6 months or so. I put that in a safe place. That way if my wallet is ever stolen, or I lose it, I can at least call everyone that needs called.

I have never owned a debit card and never will. No way am I giving the keys to my checking or savings account to some stranger to pay for a Big Mac.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    As for not carrying your SSN, at least in Indiana, you also need to get it off of your drivers license. Unless requested, the DMV will use your SSN on the license, and of course, the bad guys know that. Also wanted to check on carrying your LTCH, so I called a friend who is a deputy. He said if you are carrying and cannot show your LTCH, you will immediately find yourself in the back seat of the cruiser; cuffs optional. Probably not a good time to pose an attitude, either.

Malarkey....Indiana stopped using SSNs on DLs a couple decades ago. Your cop buddy can pull your LTCH info up on his laptop too.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Thanks for the update Flannel. I got rid of mine a long time ago and was not aware they don't do that anymore. As for the folks who do not want to carry their LTCH, you have every right to feel violated and pushed on. However, do you really think a cop that has just found you armed, and unable to prove you have a LTCH, is going to leave you alone while s/he checks you out? I believe you will be in the back of that car faster than you can stand on your soapbox. "Well, your honor, I found Mr. Smith armed without a permit, and he was increasingly belligerent, so to insure his safety, and mine, I placed him in the back of my cruiser."
    Man you have a bad perspective on people. You think all cops are jackbooted thugs and don't know the law and you think all open carry carriers are douche bags. I have been stopped twice out walking in public. All I've ever done was tell LEO my name in my LTCH number. It took them a few minutes to verify it and I was sent on my way with no problems. If the officer does not know now to confront a OCer in the first place you having your LTCH really does not matter.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Why?

Just make a bunch of copies and file them in a drawer...
    and you have missed the point of the OP. if you lose your wallet with your LTCH in it now the bad guy knows you have a handgun and has your address. He may just come looking for it. That's why the OP said he will never carry his LTCH again.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Can you simply a carry a copy that you have redacted your address from? Still has your name and LTCH number on it, but less of a threat if it is dropped/found . . . just wondering.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Ive lost 2 pocketknives and a bit for a screwdriver at work, thats it. Im a clepto with my own stuff... It goes right back in my pocket, before anything else, Its a good practice. Sorry to hear about your situation, thats not good at all, and its so easy for *******s these days to steal from you. Im giving serious thought to ditching the debit card due to having my debit card info stolen most likely at a restaurant. Luckily the fraud dept put a stop to it. They got 3 purchases under 10$ one for 50, then one for 150, after that, they locked the card, and called me to ask me if I was spending money in Texas. I told them no, and they closed the account and issued me another, and am told I will get my money back. First time Ive ever been taken in this fashion, and its a vulnerability that is not pleasant..

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Can you simply a carry a copy that you have redacted your address from? Still has your name and LTCH number on it, but less of a threat if it is dropped/found . . . just wondering.

I would want to avoid carrying blatantly altered identification but maybe that is just me.
    ^This^ I think you would be better off carrying a piece of paper with your LTCH number written on it.

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    Wow. Did not know you didnt have to carry your permission slip with you as long as you know your name, address and date of birth

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Wow. Did not know you didnt have to carry your permission slip with you as long as you know your name, address and date of birth

It's really hard to believe that...

I tried searching, and reading the IC, but I'm having problems trying to understand it.

But if INGO says you don't have to carry your LTCH, then I say ok.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    It's really hard to believe that...

I tried searching, and reading the IC, but I'm having problems trying to understand it.

But if INGO says you don't have to carry your LTCH, then I say ok.

They removed language in 2011 that stated you had to carry a LTCH "on your person" and changed it to "a licensed person."

Effectively eliminating any consequences for not carrying your LTCH on your person. Most people want to avoid jail time for a misdemeanor to check your legal status so identifying yourself by name, address and DOB is sufficient to bring up the info for your license.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Used to, you had to have it on you when you applied for a job, I carried it with me everyday cuz there were a handful of times Id see a place hiring, and they wanted a drivers license and SS card copy, and I didnt have it at the time. Dont think they do that anymore, mostly cuz when you show up, they tell you to go home and apply online.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    The thing I don't understand is the card being physically swiped in Zambia? I understand they can just clone the card, but I doubt that the person that stole your wallet sold your info, and someone cloned the card number that quickly. It's possible, but not likely that the person that stole/found your wallet would do that, and do it that quick. Most dirtbags just use it up until they cant anymore, most don't sell info or know how, that is usually an intended purpose. Meaning they stole your wallet for the sole/main purpose of cloning your cards. It is possible these are two separate dirtbags. One dirtbag stole the wallet, another dirtbag that has nothing to do with the other dirtbag, stole your info in a separate incident and is now cloning your cards. I don't know, but that is weird. Sorry it happened brother, definitely put a freeze/stop on your credit.

The card merely contains digital information encoded magnetically.

Decode, transmit electronically anywhere in the world, encode on a new card, swipe to the point of refusal.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    Used to, you had to have it on you when you applied for a job, I carried it with me everyday cuz there were a handful of times Id see a place hiring, and they wanted a drivers license and SS card copy, and I didnt have it at the time. Dont think they do that anymore, mostly cuz when you show up, they tell you to go home and apply online.

Now you need this ID, or other certain ID shown to a new employer within the first three days of employment, or the company will be considered by the feds to have hired someone not legally allowed to work in the US. It is for the I-9 form

Top Bottom