• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Ya I can't find anything. The most I can find is IDNR says beware of your background and don't shoot towards a house. But I think thats more a safety awareness and not law. I think google just made this crap up now.
    I do believe I have read that Michigan has very specific distance from buildings and such. I used to waterfowl up there and read that rule somewhere back in the day.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I target shoot from my back porch, and have never found any law that would prohibit it. Maybe the law in question is regarding number of feet from someone else's property without their permission?

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I have seen episodes of COPS type programs where DNR arrests / tickets for people who shoot from a roadway- or to close to Houses - not sure what state it was

One episode even showed a Electronic Deer with a Radio Controlled Head ( swivels ) they planted in a Field to catch guys Road Hunting

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I have seen episodes of COPS type programs where DNR arrests / tickets for people who shoot from a roadway- or to close to Houses - not sure what state it was

One episode even showed a Electronic Deer with a Radio Controlled Head ( swivels ) they planted in a Field to catch guys Road Hunting
    Northwoods Law has one of those situations on almost every episode. New Hampshire and/or Maine COs seem to be very intrusive compared to our COs here.

My favorite line from that show involves road hunting. The COs (one is named Boudreaux) are hiding off the side of the road and a guy drives by real slow looking at the fake deer but doesn't stop. A few minutes later he drives by the going the other way and yells out "You're not gonna catch me today Boudreaux!".

I walk around the house and just intermittently call out, "You're not gonna catch me today Boudreaux!"

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Northwoods Law has one of those situations on almost every episode. New Hampshire and/or Maine COs seem to be very intrusive compared to our COs here.

My favorite line from that show involves road hunting. I walk around the house and just intermittently call out, "You're not gonna catch me today Boudreaux!"
    We watch that and Lonestar Law quite a bit. Seems like they probably have more to do than our CO's down here for sure.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    We watch that and Lonestar Law quite a bit. Seems like they probably have more to do than our CO's down here for sure.
    Texas must have a ton of Wardens. I just watched an episode where they showed recruits going through their final bit of class and there was something like 46 graduates for that year's class.

I absolutely love the episodes with Benny Richards. He just seems like a no nonsense **** kicker turned Warden. Randolph McGee is another favorite.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am sure it was not OSHA approved, but a couple houses ago I had a sand filled crawl space. There was a trap door on the floor of the pantry. When working on malfunctioning semi autos, I would open the trap door and blast into the sand to make sure the firearm was fixed. My wife hated when I did that, especially with rifles.

I wonder what the law would think about that?

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Setting in my swing overlooking the pond seen a buck with a big rack, 9 on left side and 8 on the right. Would have been a easy shot at 53 yards but no tag so he walked

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    How far away from a house can you hunt in Indiana?

Discharging a firearm (including a bow and arrow) is prohibited in or within 150 yards of a developed recreation site, a residence, or any place where people are likely to be. Shooting across bodies of water is also prohibited.

So my wife is in the house and from my back yard I can't shoot my rifle or bow at a target in the country? If I walk 125 yards from my house to the woods and shoot a deer thats illegal...? Just saw this today on internet and thought no way?
    I shot a groundhog last week while standing inside an upstairs room thru the open window.. Never heard of any state law restricting hunting in that way..

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've shot quite a few coyotes from my family room window. And squirrels, ground hogs, raccoons, my first (and only) deer...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

It is illegal to shoot into or across a body of water EXCEPT in the lawful pursuit of wild life.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I have family in rural Hancock county. His son-in-law was target shooting with a couple of buddies. Neighbor didn't like the noise, called LE. Copper said they couldn't shoot there because they were "too close to a structure". The structure in question was his FIL's house, not the neighbor's. The neighbor's house was about 100yd +/- away.

Top Bottom