• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well now I know who won't be getting one

As big as you are, couldn't you just throw the bag at them? Probably hit harder.

Dude. Those beans aren't going to grind themselves.

They're filled AFTER the beans are ground. I think Javan Mystique is the flavor the mayor chose for 2017.

I figured the force of hitting the guy would be enough to grind the beans. Fresh ground is better you know.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I didn't read through the 12 pages of this so if this has been covered I apologize.

I don't know why this is such a big shock to everyone. I've been carrying a less lethal shotgun for almost two years now. And a lot of guys on my department are getting less lethal shotguns and carrying rifles as the lethal option.

One major part of the training was never use or pull your less lethal shotgun unless you have lethal coverage next to you. So for people that think the police are gonna start running around with no lethal options that's just absurd. And if the situation turns lethal then there is always the option of taking a heart or head shot, which can kill, which is why they are called less lethal not non lethal.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Everyone, or just SWAT?

Along with SWAT, there are several per shift. Not everyone has one, but everyone trains with them.

Due to the recent climate surrounding law enforcement related shootings I've seen the bean bag rounds used when they definitely should not have been ( using less lethal on someone carrying a lethal weapon ). There was a lot of patting each other on the back after those incidents, which set a terrible precedent for future similar encounters. As much as I tried to explain that they were successful only due to pure luck, not tactics, it was like preaching to a brick wall.

They're great when you need them, but they have their place just like any other tool.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Along with SWAT, there are several per shift. Not everyone has one, but everyone trains with them.

Due to the recent climate surrounding law enforcement related shootings I've seen the bean bag rounds used when they definitely should not have been ( using less lethal on someone carrying a lethal weapon ). There was a lot of patting each other on the back after those incidents, which set a terrible precedent for future similar encounters. As much as I tried to explain that they were successful only due to pure luck, not tactics, it was like preaching to a brick wall.

They're great when you need them, but they have their place just like any other tool.

Question, does lethal weapon include knives? In my uneducated opinion, bean bags would be a good option for that (assuming good distance), but I could be wrong?

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    Yeah, we're slow learners. We finally have cars with fuel injection and disc brakes.
    You gave me a flashback to the late 1970's when IPD officers jammed the streets around the City-County Building with all those light-blue Fords with sirens running. Those cars were pretty primitive by today's standards.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    I don't know why this is such a big shock to everyone. I've been carrying a less lethal shotgun for almost two years now. And a lot of guys on my department are getting less lethal shotguns and carrying rifles as the lethal option.
    I started the thread with a link to a recent local news story about IMPD getting the bean-bag shotgun rounds. The media source seemed to think it was newsworthy.

If the bad guys aren't complying with your attempts to take control of a situation, then I'm OK with you having whatever it takes to get the upper hand (you = LEOs).

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I didn't read through the 12 pages of this so if this has been covered I apologize.

One major part of the training was never use or pull your less lethal shotgun unless you have lethal coverage next to you. So for people that think the police are gonna start running around with no lethal options that's just absurd. And if the situation turns lethal then there is always the option of taking a heart or head shot, which can kill, which is why they are called less lethal not non lethal.
    It is newsworthy for Indianapolis because we have had several justified shootings of persons that the public didn't think we needed to shoot. As far as I know only IPD/IMPD SWAT has been able to utilize the beanbag rounds, unlike MCSD before the merge where road deputies that were not SWAT members had them. This is a big deal, even though it isn't.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Gotcha. I like the fact that everyone trains with them so that if ever needed, anyone can pick up the shotgun and utilize it. And I'm clear on the back-patting stuff.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    You gave me a flashback to the late 1970's when IPD officers jammed the streets around the City-County Building with all those light-blue Fords with sirens running. Those cars were pretty primitive by today's standards.
    That was way before my time, but there are still a few of the old-timers around that participated in it.

Top Bottom