• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    he did get tazed to and that didn't stop him........think the bean bags would have took him down?
    I think the counterpoint is that it would've been a good option to try. There was no middle step between tazing and real-shooting him. Bean bags may or may not have worked, but it would've been worth a try.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I think the counterpoint is that it would've been a good option to try. There was no middle step between tazing and real-shooting him. Bean bags may or may not have worked, but it would've been worth a try.

roger that......i never did understand why bone heads with a knife think they can win when the cops have guns.........when they are that ****ed up i guess they don't think of that...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

I can't remember where and I can't find it from a short search:
    There was a video of a prisoner on top of a wall in the prison courtyard after a riot or something and the
    guards shot the guy like 10 times and he was basically shrugging off the shots. Anecdotal. YMMV.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    There was a video of a prisoner on top of a wall in the prison courtyard after a riot or something and the
    guards shot the guy like 10 times and he was basically shrugging off the shots. Anecdotal. YMMV.

Its an option, not an end all/cure all. There are people immune toCS/OC and Tasers as well.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Absolutely. I don't think anyone expects this kind of thing to be a panacea. But, you know the old saw, "If it saves only one life...."

Which is also my point about diminishing returns. At some point - and I'm not saying these shotguns are there - additional tools for rare situations may not make a lot of sense.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Absolutely. I don't think anyone expects this kind of thing to be a panacea. But, you know the old saw, "If it saves only one life...."

Which is also my point about diminishing returns. At some point - and I'm not saying these shotguns are there - additional tools for rare situations may not make a lot of sense.

In online comments after the shooting I posted there were several people asking why the officers didn't shoot him with a net gun then tackle him. That would seem to fit into the category you're mentioning. The nice things about the bags is that they utilize equipment which officers have been using for decades. (I know you weren't arguing against them)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In online comments after the shooting I posted there were several people asking why the officers didn't shoot him with a net gun then tackle him. That would seem to fit into the category you're mentioning. The nice things about the bags is that they utilize equipment which officers have been using for decades. (I know you weren't arguing against them)

Yeah, the non-lethal tech is super-interesting, but the bleeding edge (<--- maybe not the best expression) stuff is expensive and untried. Focused sound energy, microwaves, sticky stuff, etc., all might be great solutions but impractical and overlap with existing tech.

Plus, from a former litigator's perspective, the more options an officer has, the opportunities to use the choose the wrong one (in hindsight, when described by a plaintiff's lawyer, in front of a jury).

And just to emphasize, we are far more in agreement on the bean bag thing than otherwise. You'll totally back the 2 bore idea, right?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In online comments after the shooting I posted there were several people asking why the officers didn't shoot him with a net gun then tackle him.

I'll answer that, because no one at IMPD has seen Fifth Element.

In some instances, bean bags are the optimal solution. Bag may break a rib, but better that into an EDP than a load of #00 into the thorax.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    If I understand this 'option', it consists of a regular SG with an orange stock/forearm w/"Less Lethal" printed on the side? So what happens when #00 is inadvertently loaded into this 'option'? Or when BB's are inadvertently loaded into a duty SG? I don't care much for either possibility.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    Bag may break a rib, but better that into an EDP than a load of #00 into the thorax.
    Reportedly, there are isolated cases where bean bags have broken sternums or ribs and caused lethal damage to internal organs.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/206089.pdf

Also, bean bags are reportedly not "accurate" beyond 20 feet and their effective range is about 70 feet. Does an officer want to get within 20 feet of a knife-wielding suspect with apparent mental or chemical imbalances just so he can make sure his bean-bag shot is on target?

While I understand the desire for non-lethal options, this sounds like just one more "damned if you do, damned if you don't" decision that LEOs are going to have to make in a split second.

Top Bottom