• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I was speaking with an IMPD officer who works our hospital security on weekends. He said they are upgrading to the 4th gen glocks and they are being offered the ability to purchase the current ones.

What will IMPD do with the quantities that the employees choose not to purchase? Is there a civilian sale to offset the buy-back programs in the community? I wouldn't mind picking up a nice cheap glock that was used by our city's finest.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have no idea what will happen to them but I do know that 1700 new guns were ordered. My guess would be that they will end up at a distributor or wholesaler somewhere....

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Chances are decent that whatever retailer/wholesaler they bought the Gen4 guns from has worked a deal to "trade" the older guns that they want to turn back in.

This can work out to be rather decent cost savings for the Department...as well as a MAJOR boon to the re-seller when they finally have the Gen3 pistols to re-sell.

-J-

jlgray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    Clarksville
    a dealer close to me keisler's takes in pd trade-ins every once and a while the get in a few pistols and shotguns. my first glock was from a texas pd and i picked up a s&w3000.

mwg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    east side indy
    when the impd got the glocks , they offered to let the officers buy the s&w 5906 that they carried . I bought one off a friend who didn't want it . I don't remember how muck but it was a good deal .

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    If they are smart they will keep them around as the Gen 4 are showing more issues than the late Gen 3s. Several dept around the US have found themselves needing their Gen 3 guns back after purchasing Gen 4s.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    THe excess will go to kieslers. The price they're selling them for really isn't that great considering they can buy a new one for $100-150 more. Many are over 8 years old with thousands of rounds through them. They aren't marked in any special way like they used to be (raising the collector value).

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As mentioned, all of the Gen3 pistols are being traded to Kiesler's Defence in Jeffersonville. Officers have the option of purchasing their pistol but the purchase is made from Kiesler's, not IMPD.

The testing of the Gen4 pistols was my project. We received 4 T&E pistols, two model 22's & two model 23's. We fired over 10K rounds through those 4 pistols and they performed very well. The test protocol consisted of 7 types of ammunition, 50% of the rounds were fired with lights attached to the pistols, 50% without. The rounds fired consisted of:

20% both hands on the gun, strong hand primary
    20% both hands on the gun, support hand primary
    20% strong hand only
    20% support hand only
    20% intentional limp wrist

The results of the testing yielded an overall malfunction rate of .053%. The Gen4 pistols offer several advantages to our officers including a larger mag release which can be switched for left hand use, improved frame texture, newly redesigned trigger connector and a smaller frame with the ability to add backstraps to fit the individual officer.

I found no agencies having issues with Gen4 pistols chambered in .40S&W. The agencies having issues were using 9mm. My understanding is that the Gen4 was designed from the ground up for the .40 then modified for the 9mm. The earlier generations were designed for the 9mm and modified for the .40.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Thanks for sharing this, very informative.

As mentioned, all of the Gen3 pistols are being traded to Kiesler's Defence in Jeffersonville. Officers have the option of purchasing their pistol but the purchase is made from Kiesler's, not IMPD.

The testing of the Gen4 pistols was my project. We received 4 T&E pistols, two model 22's & two model 23's. We fired over 10K rounds through those 4 pistols and they performed very well. The test protocol consisted of 7 types of ammunition, 50% of the rounds were fired with lights attached to the pistols, 50% without. The rounds fired consisted of:

20% strong hand only
    20% support hand only

The results of the testing yielded an overall malfunction rate of .053%. The Gen4 pistols offer several advantages to our officers including a larger mag release which can be switched for left hand use, improved frame texture, newly redesigned trigger connector and a smaller frame with the ability to add backstraps to fit the individual officer.

I found no agencies having issues with Gen4 pistols chambered in .40S&W. The agencies having issues were using 9mm. My understanding is that the Gen4 was designed from the ground up for the .40 then modified for the 9mm. The earlier generations were designed for the 9mm and modified for the .40.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

20% strong hand only
    20% support hand only

Well that's reassuring. :D

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Primarily model 22's. We have a handful of 23's issued but there is already a scramble going on by those wanting to purchase a 23 that they aren't issued. I would be surprised if any of the 23's that go to Kiesler's aren't spoken for.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    a dealer close to me keisler's takes in pd trade-ins every once and a while the get in a few pistols and shotguns. my first glock was from a texas pd and i picked up a s&w3000.

That is the LEO dealer the ISP uses. They normally offer the officer first choice to buy the duty weapon and then they sell the rest.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well that's reassuring. :D

An important part of my job is in selecting the best equipment for our officers whether it's issued or authorized for officers to purchase and use. I take it very seriously. It makes me an unpopular guy at times but I do the best I can. Our staff had some blisters on their trigger fingers after that testing and Glock was very complimentary of our testing protocol. I'm confident that we made a good choice.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    An important part of my job is in selecting the best equipment for our officers whether it's issued or authorized for officers to purchase and use. I take it very seriously. It makes me an unpopular guy at times but I do the best I can. Our staff had some blisters on their trigger fingers after that testing and Glock was very complimentary of our testing protocol. I'm confident that we made a good choice.

I am too! My issued firearm for the last year has been a gen4 G22 with light attached and I have put a couple thousand rounds through it without any issues. I am sure my next one will be just as good. I am still not a Glock fan in general but it is a great, reliable tool that gets the job done.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That must be really frustrating for any department as handguns are so subjective.

I've often wondered why more departments do not allow the officer to purchase their own weapon with a voucher for X amount? But I know upstairs politics plays a big part . . . pity actually.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That must be really frustrating for any department as handguns are so subjective.

I've often wondered why more departments do not allow the officer to purchase their own weapon with a voucher for X amount? But I know upstairs politics plays a big part . . . pity actually.

All in the name of "same-ness"... So the dept. mechanics don't have multiple systems to work on. So that officers in the field don't have to possibly run another platform in the field when SHTF. So that mags/ammo is compatible between everyone...

-J-

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So that mags/ammo is compatible between everyone...

Yes, yes, I saw this movie once, what if a Wing Chun trained Godzilla attacks, or, of course, 9/11.

When is the last time IMPD officer has thrown a mag to another officer after he shot to empty?:dunno:

As far as the armourer, why not just give vouchers? One more officer on the street, or eliminate the positions and save money on salary and benefits?

Top Bottom