• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That must be really frustrating for any department as handguns are so subjective.

I've often wondered why more departments do not allow the officer to purchase their own weapon with a voucher for X amount? But I know upstairs politics plays a big part . . . pity actually.

It simplifies training and policy. With 1600+ officers to train, 16 hours per officer per year minimum, having everyone on the same platform keeps it manageable. Throwing decocking levers or single action only pistols into the mix would require a level of attention we can't provide. I only have a staff of 10 conducting that training in addition to the patrol rifle schools and recruit training.

I would love to be able to carry a 1911, it's just not in the cards for us unfortunately. Gotta play the hand your're dealt.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Yes, yes, I saw this movie once, what if a Wing Chun trained Godzilla attacks, or, of course, 9/11.

When is the last time IMPD officer has thrown a mag to another officer after he shot to empty?:dunno:

As far as the armourer, why not just give vouchers? One more officer on the street, or eliminate the positions and save money on salary and benefits?

You wouldn't. A system like that would require more manpower than we use now to issue vouchers and ensure officers weren't running around with 2lb triggers or the latest, greatest whiz bang gizmo or modification that will fail them when they need it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Why can schools that accept non-badges train 100s upon 100s of people with a myriad of different platforms?:dunno:

Primarily because of lawyers and because they aren't training cops for street duty nor are they accepting the liability for the officers actions and proficiency (or lack thereof).

What happens when you issue officers vouchers to purchase a pistol of their choice, they bring it to training and it won't run? Suspend the officer until they get it fixed? Send them out to work with a busted piece of crap pistol?

Entirely different animal.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'll add that our officers are authorized a pretty wide variety of handguns that they may purchase and carry for off duty or back up use.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    It's rather interesting that the IMPD will sell the guns that they paid for, but won't sell the guns that they didn't (seized items).

The internal moral conflict must be making them insane.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It's rather interesting that the IMPD will sell the guns that they paid for, but won't sell the guns that they didn't (seized items).

The internal moral conflict must be making them insane.

Reading is fundamental. IMPD isn't selling any firearms. They are being traded to Kiesler's. What Kiesler's does with them is Kiesler's business and since Kiesler's is in the business of selling guns I'd expect they will be selling them.

Guns seized by IMPD are turned over to the Sheriff for disposal. What the Sheriff does with them is between the Sheriff and the courts.

The only guns sold by IMPD are to retiring officers who wish to purchase their duty pistol on their way out the door. They reimburse IMPD for the cost of a replacement pistol and the pistol is sent to a local FFL dealer to be transferred just like any other handgun purchase.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Phylo,

When doing your testing, and your familiarity with the .40 G22 system: Did you notice any percieved recoil difference twixt the Gen 3 and Gen 4 pistols?

The only thing I noticed was that the Gen4 recoil impulse feels different. I can feel a two part recoil, one movement back then another forward where the Gen3 recoil impulse felt more like one movement back and forth if that makes any sense. It doesn't feel any lighter to me, just different. I haven't seen any difference in speed with controlled pairs.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Primarily model 22's. We have a handful of 23's issued but there is already a scramble going on by those wanting to purchase a 23 that they aren't issued. I would be surprised if any of the 23's that go to Kiesler's aren't spoken for.

Im not buying my G23....Serial number IM0030PD. Has about 1000 rounds through it tops.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    The testing of the Gen4 pistols was my project. We received 4 T&E pistols, two model 22's & two model 23's. We fired over 10K rounds through those 4 pistols and they performed very well. The test protocol consisted of 7 types of ammunition, 50% of the rounds were fired with lights attached to the pistols, 50% without. The rounds fired consisted of:

I found no agencies having issues with Gen4 pistols chambered in .40S&W. The agencies having issues were using 9mm. My understanding is that the Gen4 was designed from the ground up for the .40 then modified for the 9mm. The earlier generations were designed for the 9mm and modified for the .40.

As is normal with Glock, it appears there are several versions of the Gen 4 being sold: early, mid and recent production with changes made with little or no notice as is also normal from Glock.

Were these pistols sent with the Milled or MIM extractors?

Which recoil spring was installed?

Any issues with switching backstraps or concerns with officers switching them out as reports are they are fragile.

What style of ejector?

I ask as I have a duty weapon that is 11 years old and has excess of 10,000 rounds through it. I may be asking for a new weapon soon and with all of Glock's issues it is hard to be confident in their weapons systems. It is hard to decide to either keep my current one, look for another original Gen III, go new or request to change manufactures.

Just for everyone's info, here is a comparison of three G22's purchased a few years apart just to show how changes are made over a short time even with in the same generation. This is why I ask the above questions as big changes can occur from one serial number group to another with Glock, but they claim them all to the same generation, which causes one serial number group of Glocks to run great and another group to fail.

DSCI0052-1-2.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom