• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I personally think a CMP Garand is both a great shooting rifle, a good collector piece with great history, and one that will certainly increase in value in the future. I purchased a (non-CMP) at a GS a few years ago, then my youngest son and I managed to "qualify" for the CMP a couple of years ago and went to Port Clinton Ohio and purchased one for each of us. We bought the CMP special grade except both had Springfield original barrels that gaged as in "new" spec for $950 each. All of the Garand's we have are great shooters! We buy 30-06 ammo from the CMP every year to keep our qualification current.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I'm in a good place right now, there is nothing I want in guns or add ons. This is after several years of hard work and I no longer cruise the classifieds. All but a few are private sales and I am happy where I am. I don't own any firearm that is over 1k, though are few are close, but with 2 exceptions all have been good buys (the 2 that were not are not really far off) and the itch is gone. ;) ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I found a 20" barreled AR that caught my eye. That will complete my list at least for a while. If I sell anything it will be one of the 1911's and I will build up another one. Just for fun.....:)

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I recently visited 21st Century Firearms in Bluffton Indiana again this weekend, wished I had your dough, as there were some very nice toys in there.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    ^^^This. If you don't believe in safe queens, then buy ammo and training. It is better to own just one gun and be really good with it. Mind you, this is not what I do, but I don't mind safe queens and I keep practicing with the same few guns. It makes more sense to me than worrying about whether everything gets shot. Just my :twocents:

This talk about safe queens is always interesting to me. Many here seem to have rather large amounts of firearms. Unless you are retired and/or just have a lot of time and money I find it difficult to see how you can be shooting all of them on a regular basis.

I only own a few and many of them hardly ever see the light of day.

For example since I bought my RO in 9mm, my M&P 9 has not been shot. Not once. I keep thinking that if I was to decide to try USPSA, it would be good for that. Other times I think of selling it. I consider that a safe queen for at least right now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This talk about safe queens is always interesting to me. Many here seem to have rather large amounts of firearms. Unless you are retired and/or just have a lot of time and money I find it difficult to see how you can be shooting all of them on a regular basis.

I only own a few and many of them hardly ever see the light of day.

For example since I bought my RO in 9mm, my M&P 9 has not been shot. Not once. I keep thinking that if I was to decide to try USPSA, it would be good for that. Other times I think of selling it. I consider that a safe queen for at least right now.

The RO has a way of putting guns on the back burner. No knock on the M&P at all. I just love me some RO sweetness.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    9mm RO would be legal for USPSA single stack division. No need to have an M&P just for a gun game. My M&P only comes out once a month so I can let other people try it to see if they like it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    9mm RO would be legal for USPSA single stack division. No need to have an M&P just for a gun game. My M&P only comes out once a month so I can let other people try it to see if they like it.

They allow a 9 in ss? Do i just load 8 rounds? IDPA won't let me compete in ss with it. Something to do with power factor, i think.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    A heirloom/hand-down gun should, IMO, be something timeless and proven. Something like an AR is cool now, but eventually it will be replace by a new service rifle, and the "cool" factor would diminish. Same thing with most polymer pistols. Sure they are nice now and what everyone carries, but there are always newer guns coming out that make your old Gen 2 G17 look dated.

If it were me, I would look at something like a Henry Repeater. A design that has been around longer than most of us here. If you want a pistol, a higher end 1911 would be cool, or maybe a big ol revolver.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom