IN SB 0130 Firearms Freedom Act. Let's get this passed!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Hell yeah I like this... Is the concept actually being practiced in the other 8 states and if so is it holding up against Federal pressure?

It's about time the Fed realized powers not granted specifically to it are reserved for the states and the Interstate Commerce Clause is a total joke. SCOTUS used that one to ram ObamaCare down our throats and it's time we spit some of this crap out and right back at them.

It is in he courts being fought. Currently waiting to get on the schedule for the 9th circuit court of appeals.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Hell yeah I like this... Is the concept actually being practiced in the other 8 states and if so is it holding up against Federal pressure?

It's about time the Fed realized powers not granted specifically to it are reserved for the states and the Interstate Commerce Clause is a total joke. SCOTUS used that one to ram ObamaCare down our throats and it's time we spit some of this crap out and right back at them.

SCOTUS used the the constitutional power of the Congress to tax as the basis of their opinion, not that of the commerce clause.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Thanks for the correction. And thanks, Chief Justice Roberts. Sleep well.

LOL. I wish I had the legal mind of John Roberts.

Though he is correct in that Article I, Section 8 provides Congress the power to "lay and collect taxes, duties, imports, and excises", regardless of how despicable the rationale by those pushing the tax for their own nefarious purposes.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Thanks.

Also, what are some of you including in your letters? I don't really know how to approach an issue like this.

Simple and straight-forward is the best approach.

Dear Assemblyman John Doe:

I am contacting you to enlist your support for Assembly Bill X, the whatever named bill, in which whatever your rationale is for it.

Car Ramrod

rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Here is my letter Ramrod, plagiarize as much as you wish :

I am writing to urge you to support SB0130, the Indiana Firearms Freedom Act.

It is clear that leaders in our Federal Government are intent on violating our liberty to self defense. We need to make clear that our State and our people will not give up those liberties under any circumstances.

Since it is abundantly clear that gun control doesn't work, the only other possible purpose is to further enable tyranny.

With a $16T+ debt, growing at $1.5T+ per year, and funded primarily by abuse of our monetary system rather than the open market, it is an unfortunate reality that Hoosiers need to think clearly and proactively about maintaining our liberty now and in the future.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Simple and straight-forward is the best approach.
    How did you know John Doe is my rep? :n00b:

Here is my letter Ramrod, plagiarize as much as you wish :

I am writing to urge you to support SB0130, the Indiana Firearms Freedom Act.

It is clear that leaders in our Federal Government are intent on violating our liberty to self defense. We need to make clear that our State and our people will not give up those liberties under any circumstances.

Since it is abundantly clear that gun control doesn't work, the only other possible purpose is to further enable tyranny.

With a $16T+ debt, growing at $1.5T+ per year, and funded primarily by abuse of our monetary system rather than the open market, it is an unfortunate reality that Hoosiers need to think clearly and proactively about maintaining our liberty now and in the future.
    That helps, thanks.

nkdninjafrog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Muncie
    so techincally speaking, if this gets passed, does that mean private citizens and companies in indiana can start producing machine guns? thats how i read it anyway, "a firearm, a firearm accessory, or ammunition that is manufactured commercially or privately in Indiana…and remains within the borders of Indiana; is not subject to federal law or federal regulation,..."
    or in my mind, Hughes amendment undone

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    so techincally speaking, if this gets passed, does that mean private citizens and companies in indiana can start producing machine guns? thats how i read it anyway, "a firearm, a firearm accessory, or ammunition that is manufactured commercially or privately in Indiana…and remains within the borders of Indiana; is not subject to federal law or federal regulation,..."
    or in my mind, Hughes amendment undone
    It depends on how the actual Indiana law is written. I do believe Montana excludes machine guns.

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    There is one section of the bill I read that mentions things you can't do or have. One of those such things was firing two or more bullets with one trigger pull or something worded closely to that.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Arguments of being a test case and federal law aside.

Does this mean one could manufacture an SBR on any AR lower since the manufacturing of the SBR would be taking place in Indiana? Or, would they need to build it on an Indiana manufactured lower (i.e. Delaware Machinery)? From my understanding, as per ATF definition, the manufacture of an SBR is creating a new firearm. So I would think the fact that the lower was not forged and machined inside state lines would not matter. The only issue I would see is "(B) without the inclusion of any significant parts imported from another state;". Under this bill, at what point is the rifle considered an SBR? Would it be when you attach the 10.5" upper? If so, would that upper be considered a significant part imported from another state? The lower is the firearm, I would think anything else attached to it is just an accessory.

Also, I saw no listing of prohibited weapons in the bill, other than those that shoot two or more rounds per single pull of the trigger.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Arguments of being a test case and federal law aside.

Does this mean one could manufacture an SBR on any AR lower since the manufacturing of the SBR would be taking place in Indiana? Or, would they need to build it on an Indiana manufactured lower (i.e. Delaware Machinery)? From my understanding, as per ATF definition, the manufacture of an SBR is creating a new firearm. So I would think the fact that the lower was not forged and machined inside state lines would not matter. The only issue I would see is "(B) without the inclusion of any significant parts imported from another state;". Under this bill, at what point is the rifle considered an SBR? Would it be when you attach the 10.5" upper? If so, would that upper be considered a significant part imported from another state? The lower is the firearm, I would think anything else attached to it is just an accessory.

Also, I saw no listing of prohibited weapons in the bill, other than those that shoot two or more rounds per single pull of the trigger.

One would think, however since the lower moved across state lines at *one time* the feds try and claim it will always be under their purview.

I say that because we saw them basically attempting that to try and regulate yard sales.

If it came down to it, I could see the feds claiming that because the raw metal was sourced from <insert location>, that even though the lower itself was made in Indiana, the metal was moved across state lines.

This won't be an easy fight... but it's a fight we must win.

Top Bottom