• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ
    I love the story of the lady who shot the bad guy in this church shooting...

The Heroine Of The Colorado Springs Church Shooting Nice Deb

Exuse me, but, WOW! What a woman! No seriously, what a woman! Is she single? (...just kidding.) We need more people like her EVERYWHERE! I don't mean that to be sexist but, unless children are involved, its usually not that way. Women do a great job of protecting but going on the assault? Unusual. Strong women fascinate me. Must be why I'm married to one.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Your father-in-law may have believed that most people, seeing your choice of carry piece, would lose their appetite and leave in disgust. The thought of a great big guy with an itsy-bitsy .25 kinda makes me queasy. :puke:

Last edited:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Exuse me, but, WOW! What a woman! No seriously, what a woman! Is she single? (...just kidding.) We need more people like her EVERYWHERE! I don't mean that to be sexist but, unless children are involved, its usually not that way. Women do a great job of protecting but going on the assault? Unusual. Strong women fascinate me. Must be why I'm married to one.

:yesway: Thumbs:yesway:Up:yesway: on all counts :)

ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ
    Your father-in-law may have believed that most people, seeing your choice of carry piece, would lose their appetite and leave in disgust. The thought of a great big guy with an itsy-bitsy .25 kinda makes me queasy. :puke:

A great big guy (which I'm not: 5'9"/230) with a 25 is worth a whole lot more than an unarmed great big guy against someone else armed with anything. Frankly, my choice would be one of my 9mm's but I don't like the bulk. Besides, I'd bet on me with my 25 up against an untrained thug with a 44mag since I would put 7 in him before he even knew I had a gun even if I have to rack one to pull it off.

In essence, having it is better than not having it, regardless of your need or druthers.

(I know you're just funnin' me but I had to respond.)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Were those "armed members" a bunch of self described novices with 25's? ROTFLMAO

Some people need some education around here that's for sure LOL.

He is a self described novice at carrying in public, if you've read the one thread he started, he has stated that he has had years of experience with shooting and carrying on private property. And whats wrong with a .25? I'd prefer something a bit bigger myself but its better than bare hands usually.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Understand, my father in law is by no means antigun.

Think about this statement some more. Think about his reaction.

New conclusion: yeah, he is anti-gun under some circumstance, which means he's not solidly pro-RKBA. He doesn't sound like a hopeless case, but he's misguided to say the least.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I know I am a n00b here, but one thing I don't get is all the hate towards smaller calibers. ntrngr didn't come in here to ask our opinion on his carry choice, he posted asking for advice on OC at a church event. oy

Have you SEEN the thread on what a .22 can do to a turkey at 200 yards, I believe it was? Would YOU want to be shot with a .25, .22 etc?

Heck, some of the people here make fun of me for carrying "only" a 380. Sheesh, I thought we were all in this together?

:ranton:

ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ
    Think about this statement some more. Think about his reaction.

New conclusion: yeah, he is anti-gun under some circumstance, which means he's not solidly pro-RKBA. He doesn't sound like a hopeless case, but he's misguided to say the least.

Yeah. Uh, you know, I appreciate the point. On as scale of 1 to 10, 1 being me and 10 being Barack Obama, my FIL is probably a 3 or a 4. Carrying sidearms makes him nervous.

His "You don't need that here!" comment lacked forethought. Isn't that really what RKBA is about? Forethought?

My FIL basically isn't paying attention to what can happen. Hes the first one to make sure he had jumper cables even though hes maybe only needed them twice in his life. He ALWAYS has a pair. If he were to witness a mugging, repelled by the RKBA or not, I bet he'd change his mind in a flash, but, he never has. I haven't either. I'm just a thinker, a what-if-er.

Its the sheep syndrome: grazing in the pasture. Soft, green, lush grass tastes so fine. Nice cool breeze coming up the hill. Unfortunately the sheepdogs don't see it that way. Every rock and every bush could conceal a wolf. The wolf gets hungry, here he comes. The sheep may never know the wolf is there because the sheepdogs go around behind the rocks, causing the wolves to flee. Hows that mental picture/analogy for you?

His comment may have been more of a "Don't remind me that the wolves are out there!!! I don't WANT to know!" more than a "I'm scared of that gun." But, you're right, at some place on that scale, he's not a 1 and he's not a 10. Frankly, I don't think everyone should carry. There are people where the risk is way more that the benefits. Does that make me a more than a 1? I don't think so. Its not about the gun. I'm not anti-airplane and I know of many people that shouldn't drive, much less, try to fly a plane. Were I more familiar with airplanes, maybe I would feel less that way.

Dang! Why do all of my posts end up being a book!

I feel about guns the same way I feel about drivers: Regardless of how bad you drive the knowledge of your limitations is very important. Unless you have a blatant disregard for safety of people and property, you should be able to drive.

ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ
    I know I am a n00b here, but one thing I don't get is all the hate towards smaller calibers. ntrngr didn't come in here to ask our opinion on his carry choice, he posted asking for advice on OC at a church event. oy

Have you SEEN the thread on what a .22 can do to a turkey at 200 yards, I believe it was? Would YOU want to be shot with a .25, .22 etc?

Heck, some of the people here make fun of me for carrying "only" a 380. Sheesh, I thought we were all in this together?

:ranton:

Indy,

He was just funnin' me. It was was a bit dry, admitedly. He was working the "Penis Substitute" angle. Now, thats a story I'll have to thread out! Alt.Alien.Visitors and how I started the "Guns are just a penis substitute" controversy. (...and got banned...)

Camel: Now see what you've started!

:)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yep. Next time you have a discussion, raise the point that you wear your seatbelt even though you do not intend to crash your car. You have a fire extinguisher even though you do not intend to have a fire. Maybe it will help!

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    You did nothing wrong..... if your FIL wants to have a stick up his arse, then let him! It is that very attitude - "You Don't NEED That Here" - that put us where we are today as armed citizens. 80 years ago it was damned near a requirement to leave the house with a pistol strapped on your belt. Not only because it was considered fashionable, but it was also considered part of your civic duties as a grown-ass man to help protect those around you; in the event that police presence was not available. It was about then that bleeding heart liberals began protesting the violence showed toward felons - "What about THEIR rights" - and so on. And slowly, but surely, it was ingrained into the sheeple that OC was a BAD thing, and for that matter, gun ownership was too. And so here we are today...... the few of us sheepdogs huddling together, fighting for the right to keep doing what this beautiful land of ours was founded on - neighbors looking out for neighbors. I for one will heed the words of Mr. Heston...... "FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS!!!!" :patriot:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Were those "armed members" a bunch of self described novices with 25's? ROTFLMAO

Some people need some education around here that's for sure LOL.

Indy,

He was just funnin' me. It was was a bit dry, admitedly. He was working the "Penis Substitute" angle. Now, thats a story I'll have to thread out! Alt.Alien.Visitors and how I started the "Guns are just a penis substitute" controversy. (...and got banned...)

Camel: Now see what you've started!

:)

My apologies Jack. BAD day at work (see my "Accused of being a racist" thread in the Breakroom) oy

Madmax

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indy Southeast
    I look at it more to conceal and not bring attention to yourself, to then be able to react against a threat when you feel the time is right to engage.

If they see your hardware then you will be the first person that they will confront, dis-arm and dispose of. Your gear will probably be better than theirs and be used against you with those man-stopper that you filled it with...

Something to think about...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...If they see your hardware then you will be the first person that they will confront, dis-arm and dispose of...

For an oft-quoted hypothetical, this really never happens to citizens.
    The majority of felons polled admit that a citizen packing hardware will be the last person they want to deal with.

I believe that an ounce of prevention is generally the best solution. I have no desire to use my fire extinguisher or seatbelt if it can be avoided.

Top Bottom