• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    This is long, apologies in advance, but I had to share this experience and hopefully save someone on here the same problems.

This morning I dropped off a box at UPS (not a UPS store, an actual UPS hub) containing a Pelican hard rifle case, which contained a completely disassembled Remington 700, McMillan stock, etc. (no ammo) being shipped to my gunsmith (a registered FFL) to assemble and accurize, as I have now done several times back and forth with FedEx.

He lives out in the sticks in Kentucky and FedEx had issues delivering the last shipment I sent him so he wanted me to ship this one UPS.

We have company accounts with both UPS and FedEx, and I created the correct priority overnight, adult signature required shipping label online last night (as per UPS regs on shipping firearms), stuck it to the box and threw it in the truck ready to drop off this AM.

I walked in, said hello to the guy standing there, load the box on the counter and told him this shipment was ready to go, have a good one and left. I got back to work and went into a meeting. I get back to my desk and I see that I've had 7 calls from the same number and 3 new voice mails within the past half hour.

I listen to the first voicemail - "This is Xxxxx at UPS and you need to immediately come back and pick up the package that you dropped off this morning containing a rifle".

Wait, this assclown opened my package??

Then I listen to the next voicemail - "This is Xxxxx at UPS again and you must come and get this package immediately before I am forced to call security".

WTF?!

Before I called this hyperventilating weirdo back, I decided to call UPS customer service and make sure I didn't do anything wrong or if there was any good explanation as to why this guy opened up a sealed, nondescript cardboard box and began tripping out when he saw a completely disassembled rifle.

The customer service guy said that if he was concerned that something in the box was dangerous containing flammable materials, etc. or improperly shipped (not air, sig required, etc.) they have the right to open the box to inspect the contents (hmm, good to know) but based on the contents and the way that is was shipped, he had no explanation as to why Xxxxx was so upset and demanding that I come get my package and threatening to call security. He apologized several times for his behavior and thanked me for using UPS. Right.

So now I'm completely annoyed and jump in my truck to drive all the way back to the UPS hub to retrieve my package. On my way there, Xxxxx calls again and I answer.

This is how this conversation went:

Me - Hello

Xxxxx - This is Xxxxx and you need to come and get this rifle as soon as possible.

Me - I'm not sure why you opened my package, but nonetheless I contacted UPS corporate customer service and they are confused as to what the problem is here? Per UPS rules and regulations I shipped the package correctly and it is perfectly fine to ship firearms and firearm parts via UPS, were you aware of this?

Xxxxx - I don't care what corporate said, I am not comfortable having this here and you need to come and pick it up immediately.

Me - Ok

I get there, grab my box, drive directly to FedEx and ship it off to my gunsmith. The world has lost it's damned mind. :xmad:

MG77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Ridiculous! Liberal media is doing a pretty good job pushing an agenda wouldn't you say.....:rolleyes:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm assuming you called corporate back and pitched a fit?

This lackey's discomfort with his employer's shipping rules should not be your problem. IF they can't train their people correctly, or their people don't like the job, then maybe they need to find other employment?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    That's about the most unprofessional behavior that I have ever heard of, Wow! I suppose that you could follow up on this with corporate, but to what end? You might get a small measure of satisfaction for yourself but no real benefit will be had for more effort. I would just walk away.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'd DEMAND a Manager-level (not supervisor) explanation why his or her employee opened your sealed package, and refused the shipment when it was clearly within UPS policy for shipment of a firearm.

Ask to speak to Mr. Assclown's supervisor and escalate the issue from there.

I've shipped about a dozen weapons via UPS and had no issues whatsoever.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    I'm assuming you called corporate back and pitched a fit?

Oh yeah, I'm not even close to done with this. I worked for UPS years ago when I was in college a couple of summers loading trucks. I am trying to get directly in touch with this guys supervisor to get an explanation of why he felt he needed to open my package in the first place.

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    The guy obviously didn't know his own company's policies. Another incompetent on the job. But I really doubt that the 'liberal media' were involved. Stupidity comes in all kinds of flavors.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Whenever I get a stupid person on the other end of a transaction the only words he hears from me from that point further are "I want your supervisor."

I refuse to deal with stupid people. Let their supervisor deal with them and correct them. I don't pay my money and time to manage them.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I feel your pain. I have shipped several rifles from the UPS hub in Hammond and so far have never had an issue, but I would be hot if I had to go back and pick something up. You've probably shipped more than I have. I don't even have an account. Amazing how one idiot can screw up the process. Even more amazing since its perfectly legal to ship firearms, and you would think UPS employees would be knowledgeable, at least the ones working at the hub! Not only shows a lack of knowledge about their own job, but shows a total lack of regard for your valuable time. I hope you get a positive response from the management. Please keep us posted on their response.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    The guy obviously didn't know his own company's policies. Another incompetent on the job. But I really doubt that the 'liberal media' were involved. Stupidity comes in all kinds of flavors.

I had an idiot working at my local post office give me a similar hassle because he was too stupid to know USPS's firearm shipping policies as well.

MG77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    But I really doubt that the 'liberal media' were involved. Stupidity comes in all kinds of flavors.

My point was the media is doing a good job in making the uneducated non-firearm owning folks scared of firearms and now civic duty is treating a firearm like a bomb..... I don't think the Liberal Media works at UPS.....

Top Bottom