• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I wonder who he was going to call when he said he was going to 'call security' and I wonder if said 'security' person would have been more aware of corporate policies.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Ironically I just stood behind a guy at a UPS hub this morning and watched him go through the process of shipping a firearm back to a manufacturer. He and I were both blown away at how easy it was, and in conversation came to realize we're both members on this website.

Due to my prior ignorance of this process, I asked a bunch of questions and now feel reasonably informed on UPS's policy of shipping firearms. Comparing what I learned a few hours ago against what you've explained, I see two potential issues. They must print the shipping & address labels on-site at the hub (I asked if I could provide the labels from my business, or have it picked-up from my location, and was told no to both). Also, that shipping label must declare a description of the weapon including caliber. I shipped ammo today, it too required a caliber description.

So, oddly enough, I had an experience today that proved how incredibly simple and non-confrontational it can be to ship a firearm through UPS.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Ironically I just stood behind a guy at a UPS hub this morning and watched him go through the process of shipping a firearm back to a manufacturer. He and I were both blown away at how easy it was, and in conversation came to realize we're both members on this website.

Due to my prior ignorance of this process, I asked a bunch of questions and now feel reasonably informed on UPS's policy of shipping firearms. Comparing what I learned a few hours ago against what you've explained, I see two potential issues. They must print the shipping & address labels on-site at the hub (I asked if I could provide the labels from my business, or have it picked-up from my location, and was told no to both). Also, that shipping label must declare a description of the weapon including caliber. I shipped ammo today, it too required a caliber description.

So, oddly enough, I had an experience today that proved how incredibly simple and non-confrontational it can be to ship a firearm through UPS.
    Can you link to the corporate policy or the law that states the outside of the package [you know, the label] must clearly state that it's a firearm and what the caliber is?

Seems to me that's just begging for it to get stolen or 'lost'.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Also, that shipping label must declare a description of the weapon including caliber. I shipped ammo today, it too required a caliber description.

Uhhh...not according to Federal law.

ATF FAQ said:
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I got some gun parts from Numrich last week. On the computer the first delivery attempt was marked "cannot deliver as addressed". I got it the second time. My regular mail carrier is not a problem, but 1 day a week, there is a different carrier- same person that one day, so they know my address. I suspect an attitude problem by the sub.

Oh, and the package consisted of 2 small bolts, a washer and 2 small screws for an obsolete shotgun....but the package was marked "Numrich Gun Parts".

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I got some gun parts from Numrich last week. On the computer the first delivery attempt was marked "cannot deliver as addressed". I got it the second time. My regular mail carrier is not a problem, but 1 day a week, there is a different carrier- same person that one day, so they know my address. I suspect an attitude problem by the sub.

Oh, and the package consisted of 2 small bolts, a washer and 2 small screws for an obsolete shotgun....but the package was marked "Numrich Gun Parts".
    Not that it will help... But have you discussed this with your normal carrier? It's often beneficial to have a positive relationship with your normal carrier that would allow discussion of such issues imo.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    I wonder who he was going to call when he said he was going to 'call security' and I wonder if said 'security' person would have been more aware of corporate policies.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing and I honestly just kept my cool. As nuts as this guy sounded on the voicemails and on the brief call I had with him, I didn't want to cause a scene and have him suddenly call the cops about "a guy with a rifle who is upset" etc. and get swat teamed over something this stupid.

He clearly has an agenda and had no reason to even suspect what was in the box other than it's shape and the recipient name which has the word "rifles" in it.

Oh well, I am going to file a complaint and let it go. Needless to say, neither myself nor any of my businesses will ever ship UPS again.

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yeah I was wondering the same thing and I honestly kept my cool. As nuts as this guy sounded on the voicemails and on the brief call I had with him, I didn't want to cause a scene and have him suddenly call the cops about "a guy with a rifle who is upset" etc. and get swat teamed.
    Yeah, I originally started my post with, "I know you wouldn't find it a good idea, but I wonder..." and then dropped it when I slightly changed my post.

He clearly has an agenda and had no reason to even suspect what was in the box other than it's shape and the recipient name which as the word "rifles" in it.
    Federal law seems to state, as stated above, that you must inform the carrier that it contains a firearm either way... I suppose that could have saved you the trip back as he could have thrown a pissy fit right then and there.

Oh well, I am going to file a complaint and let it go. Needless to say, neither myself or any my businesses will ever ship UPS again.
    Chase it up to corporate and make sure they know this. I would, personally, try not to come off as a jackwagon but I would make it clear that UPS isn't losing business due to issues such as these from you and you're certainly not the only one shipping firearms exclusively through FedEx.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I would like to say that this will cost him his job but I highly doubt that it will.

I don't like most of the policies of companies i've worked for but that doesn't mean I can go against them and keep my job.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    OP, it's obvious you're not familiar with the theory of evolution. UPS squid recognized your rifle for the freak of nature that it really is; a self assembling ebg chameleon gun. He was afraid, and rightfully so I might add, that your rifle was going to reassemble itself and start killing people. Obviously its ultimate goal was to take over the world. Thank goodness said squid stopped what had the potential of destroying mankind as we know it.

(Apply purple if needed)

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    Uhhh...not according to Federal law.

According to UPS...

"The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not identify the contents as containing a firearm. Labeling, including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document, must be non-descriptive."

Seems confusing.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    If it was corporate policy that u did nothing wrong and they are not against shipping firearms/parts I would have made the clown ship it anyway just to **** him off. But that's just me...... Lol

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    According to UPS...

"The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not identify the contents as containing a firearm. Labeling, including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document, must be non-descriptive."

Seems confusing.

That's not confusing. It says the same thing that the ATF FAQ says. "No identifying marks". The ATF even recommends abbreviating the name of the destination (e.g. "S&W" instead of "Smith and Wesson"). I don't know where Jason R. Bruce's guy got the idea that the label has to have a full description, including caliber, of any firearms shipped. That's just asking to have your stuff "lost in transit".

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    That's not confusing. It says the same thing that the ATF FAQ says. "No identifying marks". The ATF even recommends abbreviating the name of the destination (e.g. "S&W" instead of "Smith and Wesson"). I don't know where Jason R. Bruce's guy got the idea that the label has to have a full description, including caliber, of any firearms shipped. That's just asking to have your stuff "lost in transit".
    He got it from the guy shipping a firearm in line in front of him... He obviously took what he was told at face value.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    According to UPS...

Seems confusing.

Just pointing out that they want you to state/declare it's a firearm or firearm parts then hide it via the packaging and ship to address. I was not aware of the ATF regs on markings on the box either until today, so I've learned quite a bit through this mess.

I guess in my case after he cut my package open and determined the contents, why didn't he mark it as such in their system and carry on versus freaking out, demanding I come get the package, threatening to call security and refusing to ship it?

Lessons learned and UPS will never see a dime of business from me ever again, regardless of what I'm shipping.

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I don't use UPS to ship anything unless it's via a return label provided by a third party. FedEx gets all of my outbound shipping. I'd probably use the USPS if they offered the ability to create shipping labels online without going through some third party service and paying $$$ for such a privilege.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Call Corporate and get them involved. Let them know the names and location of the UPS facility. This same crap happened to my friend and fellow INGO poster. Corporate will smack some peepees and you'll be able to ship your rifle.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    noah.richey
    Top Bottom