Indiana deer rifle wildcats - the end of an era?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I will continue to use my 35 Remington Rimmed 1.8, because for where I hunt I don't need anything different. If a nice 260 Remington Encore barrel popped up though I would probably make an exception.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I enjoy deer hunting, period. I enjoy the hunt, the time spent in the woods, the time spent with family and friends. I also enjoy hunting with something "different". It changes every few years for me. The longest shot I have made on a deer in Indiana was three years ago. 135 paces with a .45 caliber flintlock long rifle. Been my experience that you can be toting a .50 caliber BMG and the deer will walk out at 35 yards or you can have a .45 Colt handgun and old mossy horns will walk out at 350 yards. That's hunting. That is what brings me out year after year.

REP'D! :)

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    We can use anything for a coyote but not for deer. If our dreams come true just remember what's beyond the target guys and gals! It's flat out here.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    My new banger is going to be a 38" long percussion barrel with a shallow groove .52 bore for paper patching standard off the shelf fifty caliber rifle molds. Should have it cooking next year. Think maybe I'll name her Navarone.

Won't be no brass to measure.
    :p

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Where I normally hang my climber, I don't have a shot past about 75 yards (if the trees and deer cooperate), and my rifled 870 is good to go for that.

Got some spots back along the river with a good trail both directions I could stretch out further, and if I hunted the edge of the woods on the field next to us, would have a chance at long shots I wouldn't even consider now...

And I've got a .308 AR lower... Easily available commercial ammo, easily available reloading components... Sounds like a win! Just need some longer range practice.

Or the change to take a deer with one of my 1937 Mosins...

I'm all for it.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I will have my rifled shotgun barrels up for sale the minute this would take effect. I like shotguns for shotgun things, and rifles for rifle things.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    If they change the laws I will keep using my 358 Hoosier. There is very little difference in it and the 358 Winchester. Where I hunt a 150 yard shot is a long shot. The Hoosier is good to 300 yards. I see no need to change rigs.

I do have a 308 that I could use or a 243. I just don't see an advantage in using them where I hunt. Then it is always nice to have choices.

As for how safe it will be to hunt with the new regulations past, only time will tell. I know that Kentucky hasn't had any more problems than we have had with hunters shooting people over the years and they have been using rifles for many years.

My biggest concern is the guy that just goes out and buys a rifle and then goes hunting. No safety training. No practice and the rifle has only been bore sighted at the factory. That is the guy I am concerned about.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If they change the laws I will keep using my 358 Hoosier. There is very little difference in it and the 358 Winchester. Where I hunt a 150 yard shot is a long shot. The Hoosier is good to 300 yards. I see no need to change rigs.

I do have a 308 that I could use or a 243. I just don't see an advantage in using them where I hunt. Then it is always nice to have choices.

As for how safe it will be to hunt with the new regulations past, only time will tell. I know that Kentucky hasn't had any more problems than we have had with hunters shooting people over the years and they have been using rifles for many years.

My biggest concern is the guy that just goes out and buys a rifle and then goes hunting. No safety training. No practice and the rifle has only been bore sighted at the factory. That is the guy I am concerned about.

On the plus side, if you ever get the opportunity to introduce a lady or youth Hoosier to deer hunting in Indiana, they would be allowed to shoot a low-recoil 243 Winchester and still get the job done.

One of the real problems with slug guns and muzzle-loaders is that they hurt hunter recruitment efforts because a lot of kids (boys and girls) and women simply will not tolerate that kind of recoil.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    On the plus side, if you ever get the opportunity to introduce a lady or youth Hoosier to deer hunting in Indiana, they would be allowed to shoot a low-recoil 243 Winchester and still get the job done.

One of the real problems with slug guns and muzzle-loaders is that they hurt hunter recruitment efforts because a lot of kids (boys and girls) and women simply will not tolerate that kind of recoil.

What recoil? Put the pumps down and pick up a semi-auto. I use a Remington 1187 12ga 2 3/4" Remington Copper-solid (sabot) and it sounds almost mattel like when the shotgun cycles after firing a deer slug. Cachink chink. Yeah they are loud but there is little recoil at all. Its all used up cycling the action and you can actually hear the bolt cycling. It aint nothing! Now those Remington core-lokts (12ga 3" deer slugs) are a different story but the trajectory on the box is printed out to 200yds! They hurt a little and I dont even like them and Im almost 200lbs.
    How ironic...this year if I stick a factory loaded .35rem in to my Marlin and take a deer with it, I am illegal. But next year it may very well be perfectly legal. What a crock...but hey, atleast they are moving in the right direction.

Dudelittle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Attica
    A guy at work just told me that his little brother took the HEC and " the DNR guy said we could use .243 and up when we hunt" . I don't know if i fully believe him or not. Has any one else heard this?

Dudelittle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Attica
    I am aware of the current regulations on cartridges. He was speaking like they had passed the proposal and put it in affect. I didnt think it would be in affect until next season. Nor had it even been passed yet

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I am aware of the current regulations on cartridges. He was speaking like they had passed the proposal and put it in affect. I didnt think it would be in affect until next season. Nor had it even been passed yet

It is still a proposal, is not in effect and has not been passed yet. They may have misunderstood the DNR officer to have said a 243 Winchester rifle may be legal for the fall of 2015, which seems fairly likely at this point.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Had this conversation with my dad... While I'm all for it, he's completely against it. He's more worried about range and hunters missing shots and hitting houses that they can't even see if they overshoot a target...

I believe that's all up to the hunter to take a responsible shot, I'm not sure I'd ever take a shot uphill with a rifle while hunting... Shotgun with shot for birds and squirrel, yes, rifle or slug, don't think so, but that's just me...

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Had this conversation with my dad... While I'm all for it, he's completely against it. He's more worried about range and hunters missing shots and hitting houses that they can't even see if they overshoot a target...

I believe that's all up to the hunter to take a responsible shot, I'm not sure I'd ever take a shot uphill with a rifle while hunting... Shotgun with shot for birds and squirrel, yes, rifle or slug, don't think so, but that's just me...

There are a surprising number of folks who still feel the way your dad does, despite the physics not supporting his concerns. Very few hunters shoot with a muzzle elevated enough to overshoot a deer or target and hit houses they can't even see. The fundamentals of safe shooting are, as you implied, exactly the same whether you are using a shotgun or rifle. Even if you're shooting uphill at a deer, you need to be sure there is a safe backdrop...doesn't matter what kind of gun you're shooting.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    If and when the new rules pass, the wildcats will be mild kitties. The guys with grunches of money in them will be stuck with rifles having diminished values. There will be a run on 243/270/30.30/30.06. You'll be able to pick up slug guns real cheap.
    It will be a whole new marketplace.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If and when the new rules pass, the wildcats will be mild kitties. The guys with grunches of money in them will be stuck with rifles having diminished values. There will be a run on 243/270/30.30/30.06. You'll be able to pick up slug guns real cheap.

I couldn't agree more, but it's also true that most of those wildcats will be exactly as effective as they were the year before, which is to say perfectly capable at the ranges most deer are actually harvested.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County

I guess I may want to think about getting that .243 youth(for the daughter) rifle sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom