• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It's a simple supply/demand thing. If there are more hunters than pig damage, the hunters will end up paying. If there is more pig damage than hunters, the property owners will be thrilled to let you hunt for free. Of course, it is more likely that the government will get involved and none of the preceding will be correct while it costs the taxpayers, hunters and property owners much more than it would have otherwise.

Lived in Texas for several years, I don't share your optimism. You couldn't throw a rock and not hit a farmer/rancher down there who wasn't complaining about the damage the hogs were doing. You also couldn't find one who didn't want to charge people to allow them to hunt.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I live down here in the hog area but have never seen one on a game camera. From what I'm reading in this thread, it sounds like if I do, I won't have any trouble finding exterminators.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    It's amazing that at the end of the DNR blurb, they posted the question "what should I do if I see a wild pig?" and answered their question with "report it to us at..." Just shoot it wasn't considered.

They've completed the circle around the sheeple.

See a terrorist? say something; see a common criminal? say something; see a destructive wild animal? say something...God forbid you'd DO anything.

I think you missed the whole point of that section. How else is the state supposed to have an idea of where and how many are out there if nobody tells them? Be kinda dumb for the state to spend money on eradication efforts in, say, Allen Co. where there aren't any and not have the money to use in, say, Pike, Spencer, and Warrick Counties where there is a known population.
    Especially when the section immediately above that stated you could hunt and trap them anytime with just the permission of the landowner, no license required.

RickyG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I think this sounds like the beginning of more government overreach. It may not look that way on the surface, but it's happening all over Michigan. It's an attack on local small hog farmers.

A farmer (and veteran) that I know who supplied beautiful Mangalitsa hogs to a restaurant I worked in became victim to Michigan DNR. He stood up for his rights and won. The sad part is that he's about the only farmer that DID stand up. Many other farms were unconstitutionally forced to shut down.

This is a video from a few years back when the whole thing started

https://youtu.be/lBdU1_Y82HY

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If landowners/farmers/tenants are also deer hunters - chances of getting permission to hog hunt until after the deer seasons are over is slim.

Since I missed my opportunity this summer, I now have to wait again until the temperatures are palatable for ME to sit out in the woods and wait.

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    When they get up here if they start doing a lot of crop damage the only thing I'll charge you guys is leave me a little meat. We make our money farming not nickle and diming people to hunt.

P.s. we don't have any extra places to deer hunt.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As phylodog says, it's not as easy as finding deer on public land. My understanding is that hogs are mostly on private land. Our Indiana property owners have gotten used to hunting leases. The days of finding spots and just asking permission are nearly gone, if not all the way.

Greyson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2016
    Irvington/Indy
    This is so very rong! DNR says that the hogs are a huge problem yet they don't even mention a County. These animals do all sorts of damage but the people who can do something about it (us) are left in the dark. They should be sending us invitations!

OBTW: These critters run fast and have tusks and teeth. They can kill us if we miss, malfunction, or panic. Still, I'd love to give it a shot (so to speak).

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    ^^^Lawrence, Jackson, and Washington counties, there have been some sightings in coal mine country. The hogs started out just up-stream from my farm. I first hunted them in 1996. Back then they were concentrated to two areas, you could go in one creek bottom and see 30 in a cut corn field. People hunted the time out of them and pushed them out.

Here we are 20 years later and the USDA is trying to do something about them. In my opinion they should have been here 20 years ago. Over the last 2 years they have been trying to shoot them out of a helicopter. One weekend they killed 8 hogs, at $750/hr for the chopper that is some tax dollars pissed away. They will never eliminate them.

To the guys that want them.....you don't. They are hell on crops and the deer don't like them, if you are a deer hunter. They are a blast to hunt I must add. No regs on what or when you can kill them.

Top Bottom