• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    Kouts
    I,m told Indiana residents arnt able to apply for an out ofstate Illinoisccw yet. Their working on it. Oh and yess I,m 57 miles one way to work. And worth every mile to come home to Indiana where things make sense.

J480

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    Griffith IN
    i work off 87th and stony island,pilsen area. i carry everyday,keep section 40 of HB183 in my vehicle. The winter beater car is an illinois registered vehicle previously in my name/Indiana plated(illinois now because of emissions). Seems this is fine after reading the bill,however i may be asking for trouble. Then again,dont give them a reason to pull you over and initiate a traffic stop. Chicago also updated its AWB to allow 15 round mags.

J480

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    Griffith IN
    when i do drive home at 1am,i usually always get a CPD cop that pulls to the side,slows down oppisite me on the street i may be traveling. always puts me on alert to watch them turn the cherries on and bust a U. With over 17,000 open cases of police abuse,i watch for police like i watch the peddlers/beggars on 95th and stony island.

J480

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    Griffith IN
    if i understand correctly,C(r)OOK county has a 10 round mag limit,only if a town didnt exempt or enact thier own limit on mags. so you could effectively be a criminal in lansing,but be ok in calumet city(just an example,i have not found the individual towns laws)

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I,m told Indiana residents arnt able to apply for an out ofstate Illinoisccw yet. Their working on it. Oh and yess I,m 57 miles one way to work. And worth every mile to come home to Indiana where things make sense.

There is one person in Fort Wayne (NIFT) that has a class for this license. I am not sure if there are more but I am sure there will be more soon.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    There is one person in Fort Wayne (NIFT) that has a class for this license. I am not sure if there are more but I am sure there will be more soon.

Correct; we do.
    HOWEVER, the current status in the La-La Land of Lincoln is other states must have laws "substantially similar" to those of Illinois, and the IL State Police site goes on to list those states, which consists of precisely one: Hawaii.

Hawaii is a discretionary issue state, and my understanding is Hawaii has not issued a carry permit to anyone in many, many years. If a Hawaii resident wants to apply for the carry permit, he will find it difficult or impossible even to obtain the application, which doesn't matter as it would be denied, regardless.

To apply for the IL out-of-state CCL, one must have a carry permit from one's home state. Therefore, since Hawaii, for all practical purposes, does not issue carry permits, it is impossible for Hawaii residents to get the IL CCL, even if desired.

Now we know why Hawaii is "substantially similar" to Illinois. :):

I expect this will all change over time, but it remains anyone's guess as to when that may happen. As a result, we are not actively promoting the IL CCL classes for now.

Here is the IL State Police language:

In accordance with 430 ILCS 66/40 (b), out of state residents may be eligible for an Illinois Concealed Carry License if your state meets the definition of substantially similar as established by rule. See 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.10. Currently, the states identified below have been determined to have laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under Illinois’ law; and, therefore, may apply for an Concealed Carry License. This list will be updated as additional states are identified as substantially similar. Further Information concerning the regulations for non-resident applications can be found at 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.110.
    • Hawaii

Last edited:

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    if i understand correctly,C(r)OOK county has a 10 round mag limit,only if a town didnt exempt or enact thier own limit on mags. so you could effectively be a criminal in lansing,but be ok in calumet city(just an example,i have not found the individual towns laws)

The Cook County restriction, and virtually all other restriction on magazine capacity relative to handguns was pre-empted with the new concealed carry law. Chicago has a restriction on handguns with "military" features, which seems to be designed to include MAC 10's etc, and AR pistols.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I work alongside off duty cops hired as private security guards several times per month. I have engaged a couple dozen of them in conversation regarding the new Illinois gun laws and how they relate to LTCH cardholders. They are all over the place in their knowledge of the new laws. Based on my conversations this is how I see it. Cops that work near the border are very familiar with the law and how it applys. I get the feeling that they have been letting Indiana guys go when they have been caught in close surrounding areas even before the new laws. This is for Chicago cops that work on the SE side of the city as well as Lansing, Lynwood, etc.

Chicago cops that don't work near the border are all over the place. Some were aware of the new law, some virtually unaware, and many didn't really understand the law or know that it went into effect last November. I had a great conversation with a cop from Lake Forest that knew it seemingly as well as anyone who has read all the discussions here.

I haven't asked anyones opinion of concealed carry, and don't plan on it. Many volunteered their support for concealed, none voiced concern. I made it clear that I had my carry card and by implication that I had a piece in my car. I recommend that anyone from Indiana venturing into Illinois have a copy of the new law and copys of the relevant info from the Illinois state police website.

Top Bottom