• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    THere are still people that believe David Olofson wasn't making and selling full auto ar15's.

I can;t speak for the other stuff, but Olofson (the Ret. Army guy from Wisconsin) was convicted of transferring ONE 'machinegun'. Not manufacturing it.

It was also a rifle he lent to a friend, he didn't sell it. Those were the facts at trial.

Defense showed it was due to a worn disconnector and it took the ATF hours to replicate the "full auto" that turned out to be a 4 round burst that left the rifle inoperable after several hundred rounds to recreate what the "range master" alleged.

I'm thinking you meant to put that in purple, but in case you didn't, there it is.

Had there have been one "gun guy" on the jury, he wouldn't have been convicted.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Personally, I hate being recorded... and I've been recorded a lot. It's not that I dislike it because it doesnt allow me to curbstomp grandmas and get away with either.
    The people that I've been recorded by do it, mostly, for the pure annoyance factor. I've been in an empty lot writing reports and someone pulls out a video camera. I've been eating lunch in my car, and someone pulls out a camera. I've had cars pull onto side roads so that they could film traffic stops.
    In the most recent example, I helped arrest a guy whole stole a Range Rover outside a club. The club empties out and one would swear they were paparazzi.
    I've actually come to expect it in certain instances. It's understandable if you are related to the instance in some way. A guy who sets up a voice recorder or camera on his dash, no real issue... but the people that gawk? I can't stand them. I've always found nosy people distasteful. Mind you own damn business.

Even though I have my opinion, I know that there not anything, for the most part, that I can do about people that purposefully try to get a reaction. So I typically just ignore them. And if someone has recorded me for 15 minutes during an arrest, don't come knocking on my window and ask what happened.
    I despise Gawkers...

I tend to ask the Deputies to remove them when I am on an Accident or Fire...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I can;t speak for the other stuff, but Olofson (the Ret. Army guy from Wisconsin) was convicted of transferring ONE 'machinegun'. Not manufacturing it.

It was also a rifle he lent to a friend, he didn't sell it. Those were the facts at trial.

Defense showed it was due to a worn disconnector and it took the ATF hours to replicate the "full auto" that turned out to be a 4 round burst that left the rifle inoperable after several hundred rounds to recreate what the "range master" alleged.

I'm thinking you meant to put that in purple, but in case you didn't, there it is.

But the ATF said......:rolleyes:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    First circuit court of appeals ruled IT is legal to photograph or video a cop in public.

http://www.ca1.uscourts.gov/pdf.opinions/10-1764P-01A.pdf
    Police performing their duties in a public place can be photographed.

The opinion notes similar decisions in the 11th, 9th and 7th Circuits (our federal circuit).

The new case addresses private citizens and notes that they have the same 1st A rights as news reporters, to document the police and other public officials.

"[t]he freedom of individuals verbally to oppose or
    challenge police action without thereby risking arrest is one of
    the principal characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation
    from a police state."
    However, the court opinion really only settled the issue of qualified immunity for the officers, finding that they did not have immunity under the facts of the case (meaning the suit against them could proceed)...:twocents:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Filming police | Cop Block its not just here its happening everywhere.

These guys do way more harm than good. And the people that try to mimic them are just as bad. Remember all those guys filming police officers as they OC'd to make a "point," in California? Well, that backfired big time.
    I betting a bunch of those vids got the wrong type of attention. Californians would still have their right to OC if it wasn't for some morons wanting a cool youtube vid.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    ^Absolutely. I think sometimes we gun owners are our own worst enemies. I constantly see threads here that say well lets carry this or that and see what happens and whoever doesnt like it can pound sand.

Truth be told you or anyone else may not like it but what people think about gun owners really matters and enables the gun grabbers to pass more legislation.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY

People of INGO i give you exhibit A.

FROM THE ACTUAL COURT DOCUMENTS

The "buyer's" testimony
    Robert Kiernicki saw a “for sale” advertisement for a Colt AR-15 rifle that David Olofson had posted at a gas station in New Berlin, Wisconsin

ATF testimony

using civilian-grade ammunition, he conducted two more test-fires of the weapon in the unmarked mode. In one of those tests, he held the trigger down and the gun fired all of its ammuni- tion (twenty rounds) before stopping. He also emptied two twenty-round magazines in five- or ten-round bursts by depressing, holding, and releasing the trigger several times. The government’s expert stated that such firing capabilities did not result from a “hammer-follow” mal- function but rather were intended features of the gun.

verdict
    After the close of the evidence, the court used the definition of a “machinegun” from 26 U.S.C. § 5845(b) to instruct the jury and chose not to define the word “auto- matically” from that statute as the defendant had re- quested. Following deliberation, the jury returned a guilty verdict.

essentially robert sees an ar15 for sale and calls olofson. Olofson shows him that he makes ar15's with safe semi and auto functions. Roberts trades him a marlin 30/30 and promises to pay him the remainder $550 when the parts come in to assemble his AR. Olofson loans Roberts the rifle to use until his comes in. Robert takes the gun with him to the conservation club with some ammo. He rips off some 3 round bursts and the range staff and patrons say WTF? The police are called and robert tells them the above info. They serve a warrant on olofson who has full auto manufacturing manuals, tools and parts. The atf takes the gun, uses military ammo and gets it to fire in 3 and 4 round bursts and jam, they then use civi ammo and it does several mag dumps without issue. They interview Olofson's captain who stated Olofson said If they (atf) think the olympic arms AR is something they should see the other 100's of firearms he has. Robert states that Olofson sells guns on the internet.

Of course, people believe his BS and don't follow up with any fact checking. You'll see david olofson ex military father of 3.... they leave out that he doesn't pay taxes, likes to take out loans then not pay them...and makes machine guns.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I despise Gawkers...

I tend to ask the Deputies to remove them when I am on an Accident or Fire...
    I hate gawkers on my homicide scenes. I remember one scene where a guy was shot/killed in his car in a shopping center parking lot up in the ghetto. People were bringing their kids trying to let them see the dead body. It was morbid. Damn straight we wouldn't let these mopes get withing 100-200 ft of the crime scene.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

You left out a few salient parts:

1. A transfer doesnt necessarily mean sell. It also means to give or lend.
    2. He sold the transferee an AR15 but had not yet delivered it.
    3. The transferee had no experience with an AR15, let alone a machine gun.
    4. He lent the transferee an AR15 (a transfer).
    5. He told the transferree not to flip it over to auto because it would shoot in bursts (thereby being a machine gun) and jam.
    6. He possessed machine gun parts and manuals on how to convert semi-auto rifles to machine guns.

See how much more interesting the story is when you include the facts?

PS: I was going to contribute to his appeal fund after his conviction. Before I did I read through the pleadings, trial transcripts and looked at the evidence that was available. After that research I decided not to. This is one gun guy who would have voted for conviction.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I presume you mean язык and not язиk? I didn't dream it up, thanks. Did study the lingo for four years and researched the journals of the Российско-Американская Компания for a dissertation. But don't have a degree in Russian per se.

По легенде, фраза была произнесена при следующих обстоятельствах. Во время похода Ксеркса I в Грецию в ходе греко-персидских войн Ксеркс прислал к Фермопилам гонца с двумя словами: «сложи оружие». Леонид ответил лаконически: «приди и возьми». Приди и возьми — ВикипедиÑ

Когда персы от имени своего царя Ксеркса предложили спартанцам сдать оружие, царь Леонид дерзко ответил: «Приди и возьми!» 300

Во время похода персидского царя Ксеркса I на Грецию, Ксеркс прислал к Фермопилам (месту битвы) гонца с двумя словами: «сложи оружие». Царь Спарты Леонид ответил - «приди и возьми». Фраза используется и в греческом произношении - Молон лабе. Фраза была использована в фильмах «Триста спартанцев» (1962) и «300 спартанцев» (2007). Ïðèäè è âîçüìè - dslov.narod.ru

Приди и возьми (иноск.) попробуй — удастся ли. (Отвѣтъ Леонида, царя Спартанскаго, Персидскому царю Ксерксу, требовавшему выдачи оружія).
    Ср. Plut. Apophtegm. Iacon.
    См. Лаконизм.

Русская мысль и речь. Свое и чужое. Опыт русской фразеологии. Сборник образных слов и иносказаний. Т.Т. 1—2. Ходячие и меткие слова. Сборник русских и иностранных цитат, пословиц, поговорок, пословичных выражений и отдельных слов. СПб., тип. Ак. наук.. М. И. Михельсон. 1896—1912. ????? ? ??????

[URLs butchered by INGO server, but links should work]

Good enough for the Rooskies, good enough for me.

I know, I know, get a room. But he started it!!

I tried to read this outloud....Then I spent the next 5 minutes figuring out how to wash off all the saliva from my keyboard and screen without shorting out my computer. :D

Top Bottom