• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fergie22

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    walkerton
    i totally support the second amendment but the guy in new york is still arrested and will end up in court and possibly jail.

semper fi :patriot: :ingo:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Much as I hate to say this, here goes. Stupidity of the law is no excuse, especially when something as serious as a gun is involved. And just because we don't agree with the law all the time doesn't mean we can disobey it, it means we must do our best to change it.

And this is still a democracy so at some point when the law was made a majority voted that it was the right thing to do. And we must deal with those laws till we can change them. We don't get to just follow the laws we want to and disregaurd the ones that we don't want to follow.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Ain't it funny that a marriage license issued to a politically correct is to be honored, but a gun permit, or a Constitutional Amendment is not?

Article 4-

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof
    Not all legal marriage licenses are recognised by every state. Just ask a gay couple who married in one of the states where it's the law.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Much as I hate to say this, here goes. Stupidity of the law is no excuse, especially when something as serious as a gun is involved. And just because we don't agree with the law all the time doesn't mean we can disobey it, it means we must do our best to change it.

And this is still a democracy so at some point when the law was made a majority voted that it was the right thing to do. And we must deal with those laws till we can change them. We don't get to just follow the laws we want to and disregaurd the ones that we don't want to follow.

Actually civil disobedience is a great way to get laws changed. It is my hope that this guy did it intentionally and fully intends to take the New York banning of the second amendment to the constitution to the supreme court.

And yes I know that the Empire State Building is privately owned, but...

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana

Really, just like Obamacare, the majority of people in the US did NOT want it passed, but just like usual, Congress didnt listen to their constituents and passed it anyway, just like most gun laws on the books...

INGunGuy

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    If you believe that, then why wont they arrest a LEO for breaking the law by seizing a weapon from a LTCH holder using Washington v Indiana ?

INGunGuy

Do you mean in this situation, or in general? I'm not sure how you see these two things as being directly related. Am I missing a key piece of logic here? I agree that LEOs should be held to the law just as non-LEO citizens. I also agree that I would love to see Washington v Indiana used to support such an arrest and see where that goes :)

But as far as this gentleman's situation goes... It would have taken less than 5 minutes for him to look up the laws regarding fireams in NY. He would have discovered that this would be the likely outcome. So, yes, I do believe that, although it sucks that it's true, he has no one to blame but himself for his arrest. Any reasonable firearm owner wanting to avoid legal trouble would familiarize themselves with the law of a state in which they intended to carry. He's even a Hoosier and could have gone online to a certain forum and learned a lot more :) In an ideal America, the second amendment would be enough. we are far from an ideal America.

The thought did occur to me that, with a national CCW bill being considered, this could be a good way to call attention to that. Motivate the public through outrage to demand that their legislators support the bill by having an All-American good-guy Hoosier arrested in nasty NYC.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Carrying in New York is cool, but NYC issues carry permits (to some). Carrying in D.C. or Chicago, where no mortal man may carry, must be the coolest!:cool:

Carrying in Chicago is no big deal. From what I know, you get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside knowing that you can protect yourself from the ghetto trash. Then again, I would never carry in an unConstitutionally-prohibited area, so what do I know? ;)

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    What does this mean? "Permit holder must be a resident of the state they honor"
    Does that mean a non resident permit will not keep you from being arrested? I live in Indiana so in Florida my license is good correct? Not trying to ask a dumb question but I would rather do that than be arrested.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    What does this mean? "Permit holder must be a resident of the state they honor"
    Does that mean a non resident permit will not keep you from being arrested? I live in Indiana so in Florida my license is good correct? Not trying to ask a dumb question but I would rather do that than be arrested.

That's correct. Florida does recognize Indiana permits. For states that issue non-resident permits/licenses, Florida will only honor a permit of a resident of the issuing state. If you hold a non-resident permit/license it is not recognized. For instance, if you did not have your Indiana LTCH but did have a non-resident Utah permit, it would not be honored in FL because you are not a resident of Utah.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Didn't he know about NY tough gun laws:dunno::dunno:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...1943-armed_hoosier_held_at_chicago_event.html
    [img}Aw geez not this s*** again[/img]

Just because the photo is of a middle-aged white guy in clean clothing is no reason to assume this guy is some sort of 2A freedom fighter. I certainly hope ignorance is this fellow's only crime, but not everything is always as it appears. The thread above is not one of INGO's proudest moments - lots of assumed guilt for what turned out to be a law abiding fellow ignorant of(or indifferent to) carry laws.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...1943-armed_hoosier_held_at_chicago_event.html
    [img}Aw geez not this s*** again[/img]

Just because the photo is of a middle-aged white guy in clean clothing is no reason to assume this guy is some sort of 2A freedom fighter. I certainly hope ignorance is this fellow's only crime, but not everything is always as it appears. The thread above is not one of INGO's proudest moments - lots of assumed guilt for what turned out to be a law abiding fellow ignorant of(or indifferent to) carry laws.

i don't think NY will give this guy any slack, NY will make an example of this guy, a don't think a lawyer will be able to get him out of this mess:twocents:

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    I travel a lot and need my sidearm for work. I use the NRA list at http://www.nraila.org/recmap/recguide.pdf. I've pretty much memorized it by now but I keep a copy of the PDF on my laptop just to be sure. Its not just about where you can carry or not but how. Texas, for example, will recognize Indiana's permit but all handguns must be concealed. Also, when you can carry is another variable. You don't need a permit to open carry in Ohio unless you are in the car. Then you need a resident permit or you have to store it like you would in Illinois.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO

First off, an unconstitutional law is sort of automatically nullified. Secondly, we're not a simple democracy where majority decides everything. The constitution specifically outlines what the majority can and cannot do. There is absolutely zero legal authority for any government in the United States to in any way restrict or limit gun ownership or carry. Any law to that effect is contrary to the constitution and therefore void. Until enough of a majority votes to amend the constitution, I don't care how a majority wants laws to be, they simply don't have the legal authority to do so, and ignoring a void law shouldn't carry any penalty.

However, that is not reality because we like to ignore the constitution whenever convenient or expedient. Because of that, it's the responsibility of the individual to make oneself aware of such laws, legal or not, and either follow them or expect to receive the penalties.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    When asked about off-duty out of state officers carrying in NY (pre LEOSA), a NYPD patrolman once told me "Who do you think enforces those laws? The more good guys with guns, the safer it is for us." Oh, for the good ol' days.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    When asked about off-duty out of state officers carrying in NY (pre LEOSA), a NYPD patrolman once told me "Who do you think enforces those laws? The more good guys with guns, the safer it is for us." Oh, for the good ol' days.
    Yup, if you knew one, it would not be unusual for them to loan you a pistol while you are visiting.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    As to what Pocket and Denny say about the line patrol officers in Eastern Megaopolis, I have spent a lot of time in Boston and have found the exact same attitudes.

When hooligans in mid-Dorchester attacked my hotel airport shuttle van (they ran up to it and started beating on it with baseball bats), the two BPD officers who responded both asked me, once they found out I was from Indiana, if I was carrying a gun. I said no as I was not legal in Boston (no badge then).

In an accent so thick that it came from central casting the officer asked/told me, "what's the mahtta wit yoze?":D

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Not surprising at all. Everyone I know personally that has a LTCH was completely ignorant of most of the carry laws. I still can't convince my older brother that carrying a handgun in the open with out a LTCH is illegal (luckily he doesn't own a handgun) and no matter how many times I tell him he still thinks his guns are registered to him.

I wonder how many people are caught in IL and OH carrying and the LEO doesn't even realize their breaking the law, or how many OH,IL LEOs just let LTCH holders slide.

I worked with a guy 4 or 5 years ago that was caught in OH, the officer nicely updated him to the law and told him to make a bee line for Indiana.

Top Bottom