• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    What recommendations for outfitter stores are out there for good quality hiking and camping gear?

Went sledding with my son today and gave him my baclava so obviously wanted another one and stopped at Rusted Moon in Indy afterwards and had a really bad experience. Seemed like kind of a joke.

Does everyone buy their gear off the internet these days?

Thoughts and recommendations?

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Yes, Gander Mountain camping selection is pretty decent.

I was thinking along the lines of some place that may carry a little higher quality of gear than Cabela's, Gander, or Bass Pro. I have bought my hunting clothes from all but those stores don't usually carry the warmest or lightest gear available.

There is a nice small shop in Evansville off Green River Road but being a mom and pop its hard to stock much.

I just wish there was an REI close without having to fight Chicago.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I would like to see an REI. Its hard to find Mountain Hardware Gear around here. Plus it would give people on here another place to complain about there prices being to high. j/k.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    There is an outfitter in Carmel off 146th and US31 next to Best Buy that has decent prices, but they only sell top-notch gear; MSR, Mountain Hardware, etc.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    Extreme outfitters in Carmel is good and I do buy some goods from there from time to time.

What I really want is Galyan's back. The real Galyan's that was a great sporting goods store before it sold out to Dick's. Great prices and knowledgable staff for the most part.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I'd rather see a Scheel's than an REI. Almost as much top tier camping stuff but a better selection of everything else outdoors.

For clothing and packs you can also try Rusted Moon in Broad Ripple. They lean more toward climbing, skiing, that kind of thing, but they have some good quality stuff.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Miss Galyans - Hate Dicks - Need REI at Edinburgh Outlet Mall

Everytime I get dragged to the Edinburgh Outlet Mall I think of how much some place like REI could clean up if they came in and were the only "guy" store. I would bring my fishing pole and hit their ponds but they have the usual "NO FISHING" signs, so I mindlessly wander around as my eyes glaze over as my wife and daughter shop. There is a musky lake within a few miles...

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Everytime I get dragged to the Edinburgh Outlet Mall I think of how much some place like REI could clean up if they came in and were the only "guy" store. I would bring my fishing pole and hit their ponds but they have the usual "NO FISHING" signs, so I mindlessly wander around as my eyes glaze over as my wife and daughter shop. There is a musky lake within a few miles...

Agree completely. If you are referring to driftwood off of 31 I have been led to believe that it gets very little musky fishing pressure. Lots of bank fisherman but few going after the monsters.

I would love it if they would put an REI in at Edinburgh. What a great idea

jonkertb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Putnam County
    Yes, give me back Galyans before it went preppie.....especially the Plainfield store in the early days
    Dicks is no more than an expanded Walmart sporting goods section

would REI carry any firearms stuff???

Last edited:

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    rusted moon i didnt care for it had noting in stock like every store i go to for any thing. need to check out the carmel store. 1.5 hrs of driving though.

Rocko25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Indy
    REI is one of the best and they really need to open a store here. I love their selection and prices can be a bit high, but they have a great rewards system.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    No, REI does not carry guns or normal hunting gear. They are an outdoor recreation (camping, hiking, biking, climbing, etc.) store. They been around for over 75 years, and really made their mark as a mail-order company. I've been a member of their co-op since 1972, and normally get back a dividend of 10% +/- of purchases the past year. -- Greg

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    REI has some of the best service available. I would welcome them with open arms. Is the Cabelas or Bass Pro shop deal still in the works for Indiana? Or is it completely dead? While these two shops dont really compete to well on having the best price, they do have great selection. Add me to the Galyans fan...Dicks destroyed everything Galyans stood for...but the Castleton store is somewhat reminiscent of the old Galyans.

rtrouten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Fort Wayne Bike Depot has some good stuff and Terre Haute has a place called The Element, now that place is Awesome!!! They email you often (two or three times a month) with some deals and events if you sign up. and no I am not a private stck holder to either place :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom