• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So, what? Spend even more money on a failing system?

The relationship between money spent on K-12 education and the preparedness of its graduates for work, life or college seems inverse

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think your analogy works for someone with no kids. It doesn't work as well if your children are going to a private school.

Why? Will private school kids, and their parents, be in a bubble that is not impacted by society at large? No, you are directly affected by the level of education around you. You may not even have kids, it's irrelevant. You want people with enough education to do the jobs that need to be done, to attract businesses to your area, etc regardless of if you have kids or not or where your kids attend school, if they do.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Why? Will private school kids, and their parents, be in a bubble that is not impacted by society at large? No, you are directly affected by the level of education around you. You may not even have kids, it's irrelevant. You want people with enough education to do the jobs that need to be done, to attract businesses to your area, etc regardless of if you have kids or not or where your kids attend school, if they do.
    "No...I live in a trailer in the woods with solar panels and 600,000 rounds of ammo to protect me from public school graduates...get yer foot off my snek"

Lol

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    There were and are better ways to fix issues than to lock in a tax increase to EVERY SINGLE PURCHASE for every single person. Again, a deal with the devil that benefits property owners to spread their taxes to everyone, land owners or not.

Who is accountable? Why do we have surplus's, even with the broad govt waist that still goes on? Does our sales tax get reduced to compensate for the overpayment? Are we penalized for being efficient and having extra money to spend that overpays the govt?
    It's not every single purchase though. Most food isn't taxed, along with medicine and medical devices. Or labor. I've made a couple of sale tax free purchases this week alone.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    6% to 7% *is* a 17% increase.

6 * 1.17 = 7.02.

Signed - a public school graduate
    Yes, but you also know things get expressed in percentages when it is wanted to make them more impressive

Like 'eating more than one egg per day triples your risk of cancer' with no mention that it really means increasing your risk from 0.04% to 0.12%

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    Wasn't Mitch part of the IPALCO fiasco that screwed all the employees of the retirement ? As for the schools, it is long past time to just call them indoctrination and babysitting facilities

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Wasn't Mitch part of the IPALCO fiasco that screwed all the employees of the retirement ? As for the schools, it is long past time to just call them indoctrination and babysitting facilities
    If you are referring to what I think you are. No, that was the feds. When the auto makers declared bankruptcy the feds changed the rules for them. Well for the auto unions. The teachers union/IPALCO were "secured creditors" and should have been paid first, instead the feds said nuh-uh, the auto unions get it. Mitch and the state attorney general fought it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If you are referring to what I think you are. No, that was the feds. When the auto makers declared bankruptcy the feds changed the rules for them. Well for the auto unions. The teachers union/IPALCO were "secured creditors" and should have been paid first, instead the feds said nuh-uh, the auto unions get it. Mitch and the state attorney general fought it.
    Bingo…

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If public schools were providing the education we're told to expect from them, it might be worth paying school taxes while also paying school tuition for your own kids. But it's clearly evident we're NOT getting value from at least some school systems, and we're arguably not getting our money's worth from ANY public school system, based on graduation rates and the knowledge displayed by students and graduates in the service industry today.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's not every single purchase though. Most food isn't taxed, along with medicine and medical devices. Or labor. I've made a couple of sale tax free purchases this week alone.

You are right, the 17% tax increase did not make non sales taxed items taxed.

It just raised the tax on every other purchase. Clothing, vehicles, electronics, utility bills, etc...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...saying he instituted a 1% increase in the sales tax rate.

That was Mitch's selling point. "It's only one percent!"

In reality, it was a 17% tax increase. :xmad:

That is not what we elected "a conservative" for, and he will never be elected to office again, if the conservative vote matters.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That was Mitch's selling point. "It's only one percent!"

In reality, it was a 17% tax increase. :xmad:

That is not what we elected "a conservative" for, and he will never be elected to office again, if the conservative vote matters.
    And this thinking is why we can’t get anything done, ever. It was offset as I posted above. Are you going to figure the decrease?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You are right, the 17% tax increase did not make non sales taxed items taxed.

It just raised the tax on every other purchase. Clothing, vehicles, electronics, utility bills, etc...
    But you claimed it was on every single purchase for every single purchase. Also didn't IN balance their budget under his management?

Not to mention again as others have mentioned, capping property tax rates. Which effected property owners/renters/and those who shop at businesses that rent. Which the sales tax increase did effect those, but also tourists, people just traveling through the state, people that come here for business, etc.

Mitch isn't my favorite, but I'm not going to demonize him over this.
    There were and are better ways to fix issues than to lock in a tax increase to EVERY SINGLE PURCHASE for every single person. Again, a deal with the devil that benefits property owners to spread their taxes to everyone, land owners or not.

Who is accountable? Why do we have surplus's, even with the broad govt waist that still goes on? Does our sales tax get reduced to compensate for the overpayment? Are we penalized for being efficient and having extra money to spend that overpays the govt?
    Are land owners the only ones who benefit from infrastructure, fire depts, police depts, etc? Why should property owners be the ones to bear the brunt, shouldn't it be spread?

And nope, sales tax doesn't get reduce. But per the IC if the state has a surplus over X it gets refunded to IN tax filers.

Top Bottom