• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2015
    Ludlow
    Hi
    I will be starting to load 45acp i will be using titegroup with 230 rnd fed primer
    is this powder a clean or a dirty powder i will be loading 4.4 grs an working my way up
    hodgdon load data start at 4.0 to max 4.8
    Thanks Joe R

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Sorry I can't help. I've only recently started reloading myself and I haven't used any Titegroup yet.
    Welcome to Ingo anyway.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Been reloading close to twenty-five years. In general, I don't recommend powders, such as Titegroup with a very narrow range between minimum and maximum charges, for new reloaders. Also don't like the fact that some of these powders could easily result in a double charge.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Good start...

Yeah, you are on the right track..You'll probably find that the TiteGroup load of around 4.6-4.7gr. will give the 230RN the best charge.

Try to seat these to an OAL of 1.260"-1.270" for the best operation of your Auto..Bill.

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    Keep in mind that no mater what powder you use a heavier charge will most always burn cleaner than a light charge.

Added
    When using cast bullets a lot of the smoke is from the wax bullet lube and not the powder.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's relatively clean, I load 4.6 gr when I used Titegroup. I prefer Winchester Super Target, though, and have recently started using Pistol CFE and am finding I like it quite well.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Titegroup works fine. The Hodgdon load data for that combination is reliable. The safety and quality is up to you. Pay attention. Any time you save with sloppy reloading will be used up by what ever time it takes to clear a stuck bullet, take apart bad rounds our maybe even picking up pieces of broken gun and fingers if you make a kaboom.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I will be using berry plated bullets
    Nice! I use a very similar bullet, Xtreme plated 230 gr. Careful on overcrimping. I made that mistake early on and would see inconsistent fliers as a result.

Other than that, I think you will be happy with copper plated rounds

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I use CCI small primers, in blazer brass (from retail rounds), and Indiana Bullet Co cast bullets. 4.2gr is what I load. Way too smokey, but that's the bullet, not the powder. In contrast, again using 4.2gr in my FMJ 9mm loads and I'm pleased with the results. So no negative to the IBC guys, but I'm done with cast bullets.

I am also pretty new to reloading and Titegroup is very narrow range. For me, it forced me to be cautious. But if you're not like me, it could be a bad thing.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Never noticed dirty or clean, except for PB powder where my fired cases were as clean as virgin brass.
    TiteGroup is among my least favorite powders. Narrow charge range, VERY hot burning, doesn't always play nice with cast or coated bullets, and can suffer pressure spikes. Not a powder I would suggest to start with, but it will go bang.
    Better powders are AA2 and 231/HP38, since you appear to be a "dirty" worrier. Other great and well-behaved powders for .45 Auto are Bullseye, Solo 1000, and Red Dot.
    Unique is great for near-max loadings and will also handle low target pressures fine. Been very disappointed with Universal.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    It's relatively clean, I load 4.6 gr when I used Titegroup. I prefer Winchester Super Target, though, and have recently started using Pistol CFE and am finding I like it quite well.
    :+1: I have to agree on the CFE Pistol powder. Good stuff. It runs thru a powder measure very well and shoots clean on mid to upper range loads.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I really like Titegroup. It was my first powder and I have loaded it in both 9 and 45 and I would say it is pretty good for both, but that depends on your purpose I guess. For me, it was something that meters well and more importantly,…. was available. Beyond that, I think it is really very good for shooting paper targets and it is accurate. It isn’t the powder to use to reproduce factory ammunition characteristics. It does meter really well for me too. I didn’t dare push anything very fast with TG, given how fast burning it is. I like the recoil characteristics of Titegroup better than some of the slower burning powders that push bullets faster though. Faster burning powders sortof become more logical with lighter projectiles, so consider that too.
    These other gentleman on here know more than I do,… a few of them helped me learn early this year, so take that into account.
    My guess is that, with your initial experience, you will think it is a “dirty” powder because you have to be more careful and start with lower charges on a fast burning powder like this. At those lower charges you will get more smoke, powder residue, and your cases will look like they have been held over a candle. BUT, as you dial in your charges, this should be remedied by increasing pressures and greater extent of combustion. The sweet spot, for me, with 230 RN FMJ was 4.65 gr with an oal of 1.250. I believe with the plated, it will require slightly more powder to produce the results you want, but you gotta start low for safety.
    Unique didn’t meter nearly as well as Titegroup in my Dillon. I don’t like it, my velocities were all over the place with it. On the other hand,… I think CFE pistol is “better” in every way except that I like shooting the fast powders better. My current favorite to shoot is VV310. It’s faster yet than Titegroup, but really fun to shoot. You get that nice snappy “pop” of a recoil that allows the handgun to settle back in pretty quickly. I shoot better, and I feel like my Wilson is more accurate, with faster powders. Have fun with Titegroup though, just recognize it’s strengths and weaknesses.

Top Bottom