• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    According to an article written by former U.S. Representative Bob Barr, hidden away in the recently passed infrastructure bill, the very one I warned before would negatively impact drivers across the country if it were to pass, is a measure to install vehicle kill switches into every new car, truck, and SUV sold in this country. The regulation likely won’t be enforced for five years, so maybe there’s time to do something about this.
    But wait, there’s more. This kill switch “safety” system would be open, or in other words there would be a backdoor. That would allow police or other government authorities to access it whenever. Would they need a warrant to do that? Likely not. Even better, hackers could access the backdoor and shut down your vehicle.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    According to an article written by former U.S. Representative Bob Barr, hidden away in the recently passed infrastructure bill, the very one I warned before would negatively impact drivers across the country if it were to pass, is a measure to install vehicle kill switches into every new car, truck, and SUV sold in this country. The regulation likely won’t be enforced for five years, so maybe there’s time to do something about this.
    But wait, there’s more. This kill switch “safety” system would be open, or in other words there would be a backdoor. That would allow police or other government authorities to access it whenever. Would they need a warrant to do that? Likely not. Even better, hackers could access the backdoor and shut down your vehicle.

I thought the Barr article was from November of 2021.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    Being in auto body I have seen many features that have been mandated by certain dates on cars that have come and gone without ever happening. It’s more common than you would expect. At one time cars were supposed to be radio and distraction free by 2020.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    It's odd to think about it, but I think that the ACLU would be on our (right to privacy) side on this one. Strange bedfellows and all that.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Years ago I helped an unfortunate boater pull his truck out of a lake where it had slid down and off the greasy boat ramp. The car computer had locked his doors and he could not retrieve his keys. When car AI makes mistakes, and people die, who gets the lawsuit?

Police chasing car in future, press "kill switch", people die, who pays? I think that switch will probably be a limited use feature at best.

Reactions: Leo

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    How many new cars don't have one already?

Onstar, FordPass, VM Car-Net, UCOnnect, etc..
    But does .gov have free access to them? Since it will be law you can bet your a** they will for now on.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Years ago I helped an unfortunate boater pull his truck out of a lake where it had slid down and off the greasy boat ramp. The car computer had locked his doors and he could not retrieve his keys. When car AI makes mistakes, and people die, who gets the lawsuit?

Police chasing car in future, press "kill switch", people die, who pays? I think that switch will probably be a limited use feature at best.

Like most things of this nature, it will probably be predicated on the ethical principle of "best overall outcome for the most people," and if you're the individual on the short end of the statistic, the loss of your ability to "go manual" and potentially save yourself through decisive action in a SHTF scenario will be written-off as a statistically-insignificant calculated trade-off in the name of progress.

...and I'm sure "lawsuit immunity" will be built into any legislation involving the technology. But since you're familiar with the need to follow the money, you knew that ;)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've mentioned this a couple of times last summer when it was first announced and didn't get much response.

Congress has passed legislation to study the feasibility of software that monitors you for impaired/drowsy driving and reacts by forcing you to pull over with a target date of 2026: https://apnews.com/article/coronavi...iness-health-068ee87392b0cca1444053b854a514dd There's also pushes to make cars more "pedestrian strike" friendly, as well as occasional calls for mininum volumes for noise from cars to alert pedestrians that ebb and flow.

Congress just mandated automakers to attempt to implement technology that detects if you are drunk or otherwise impaired...

Will it come to fruition like mandatory backup cameras or die due to lack of available technology, I don't know. What I can tell you is that the seed of the tech is already in some vehicles with self-driving features. An infrared camera is installed to track your eye movement to make sure you're still paying attention to the road while the car drives itself.

What is being requested is worse, IMO, than a simple "kill switch". Kill switches exist but don't shut the car off because that's dangerous and stupid (going 85mph and car suddenly shuts off is bad for everyone), but are more likely to keep the car from restarting once the key is turned off, like Onstar can. Even then a person is making a choice to do it. What they want manufacturers to do is use self-driving features and AI to *take control* of the vehicle from you *if the machine decides you are impaired*, turn on the hazards, pull over, and then stop. On the machine's own recognizance with no human verification.

I intentionally stepped up my schedule to buy a truck when this story first broke. No way I want my vehicle watching me and deciding I'm too sleepy to get home or whatever.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    As we’ve seen the last 2.5 years, it’s amazing what we’ll put up with if we’re properly convinced our safety depends on it.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've mentioned this a couple of times last summer when it was first announced and didn't get much response.

Will it come to fruition like mandatory backup cameras or die due to lack of available technology, I don't know. What I can tell you is that the seed of the tech is already in some vehicles with self-driving features. An infrared camera is installed to track your eye movement to make sure you're still paying attention to the road while the car drives itself.

What is being requested is worse, IMO, than a simple "kill switch". Kill switches exist but don't shut the car off because that's dangerous and stupid (going 85mph and car suddenly shuts off is bad for everyone), but are more likely to keep the car from restarting once the key is turned off, like Onstar can. Even then a person is making a choice to do it. What they want manufacturers to do is use self-driving features and AI to *take control* of the vehicle from you *if the machine decides you are impaired*, turn on the hazards, pull over, and then stop. On the machine's own recognizance with no human verification.

I intentionally stepped up my schedule to buy a truck when this story first broke. No way I want my vehicle watching me and deciding I'm too sleepy to get home or whatever.
    I think you were supposed to post that this is a nothingburger.

A couple of INGO'ers missed their money shot.

:):

Top Bottom