• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you

I need a solid coffee maker (not brewing huge pots just 1 or 2 cups). I'm not looking for a space ship just something that gets the water nice and hot and makes good coffee.

I need a coffee grinder.

I'm not interested in any Keurig K-Cup stuff. kthnxbai

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I really like the simplicity of the Kuerig and only use the cup to put my Maxwell House in. However my choice is just the basic Black n Decker or Mr Coffee maker with a timer so its ready when I get up in the morning. It makes 12 or it makes 2 whatever amount of water I put in it. Grinder? I just grind it at the store.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    I know you said no to the keurig k-cups, but they have an insert thats a little filter that lets you put your own coffee in. Im not a huge coffee nerd but I do love me a good cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee or Honduran that comes in a burlap bag :) . I can grab a few beans throw it in the grinder and put in the little filter cup and have a really great cup o' joe in the morning , ..... just my $0.02

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Fenway Springfield made a carbine that had a coffee grinder in the stock. That would be my recommendation for a grinder. A bit expensive but dual use. And yes I also do the grinder at the store.

i have had a GE drip maker for two years now. At least 2 pots a day min 2 cups max 12. Programable but mine flashes 12:00 and has since last power outage. Like my a VCR. It is starting to wear out but it has been good for two years I got it as a Christmas gift so 2 years plus of higher than normal usage.

At work we have kurag brewers and for a cup or two they are the way to go. Faster, well brewed and rock solid. I fixed the one my co worker brought in. It seems they clog if you put coffee in where the water is meant to go into.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Sounds like a 4-cup MrCoffee model would be about perfect. Don't let the "4" fool ya. I only get two coffee cups out of one pot. Each "cup" is 5oz, but a standard coffee cup is about 8oz. Mine is 15 years old though. New ones might be different now. However, mine is 15 years old. So if you're looking for something with longevity, a Mr. Coffee model is probably a safe bet.

Anyhow, something like this would do you nicely.

I don't grind, so I can't help there.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Get a burr grinder, not a blade grinder. Worth the extra dough.

Speaks the truth. This is mine. Had it for years. And years.

grinder.jpg

Details here: Encore | Baratza

Coffee maker. Got nothing for ya. It's kind of a crap shoot. Right now I have a Starbuck Barista that does fine but I probably overpaid for it. (it's in the pic too).

I don't grind, so I can't help there.

And you expect me to keep a straight face just because it's a Fenway thread?

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I second the burr grinder option. I've worked as a barista for 3 years, so I am mainly familiar with industrial sized coffee equipment. I do repair work on coffee machines too that I learned through the family. Usually I work on espresso machines, but I occasionally have to fix grinders if someone gets something stuck in one. Burr grinders are definitely the way to go. When it goes to drip machines, I honestly haven't seen a "bad" type. I don't know any specifics, but you may be able to search around and find one that seems to make it hotter than other brands, seeing that is what it sounds like you are wanting.

If you are really wanting just a cup or two of coffee, and really like fresh coffee, looking into a small espresso machine and making Americanos (espresso and hot water) may be a good option. Yes the machine is a little more expensive, but your drinks will be a little stronger and fresher. If you have never tried an Americano before, find a local coffee shop (not Starbucks) and have them make one for you.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Couple of ideas:

If you are looking for a drip coffee maker that will make virtually any amount of good tasting coffee I recommend looking into something by Jura Capresso. They do make the coffee makers that Starbucks sells, and they do brand their own. Interestingly enough they do make grinders too. These machines make a great cup of coffee even in small amounts, and they have a permanent filter, so there us nothing to buy.

Several years ago my wife and I were on 2 completely different schedules. We both love our coffee, but is was a waste to make a pot, and it took way too long even for 2 cups. By the time we ground our beans, and got everything it took 10 minutes to have a cup of coffee. We decided to invest the money and buy a super automatic espresso machine...not to make espresso, or lattes, but specifically top make coffee. There is a water tank, a bean hopper, and when you want a cup of coffee, you turn the machine on, wait 30 seconds, push a button, and the machine grinds the beans, and makes a fantastic cup of coffee. The coffee is pressure brewed, so there is little waste. And, you can make the "fancy" drinks if you want...we don't.

The down side to this option is the initial cost. We started with a Saeco machine in the $900.00 range. We still have it at our other house, and even after 10 years it still make a great cup of coffee. That machine is a little more finicky unless you maintain it well. About 6 years ago we took it to the next level and bought a Jura Capresso. the machine at that time was around $2000.00. After 5 years, and almost 10,000 cups of coffee, we finally had to send it in for service. The flat fee was $300.00, which included shipping both ways, and repaired all problems that were apparent. I shipped it to New York on Monday, and had it back on Friday.

Bottom line, if you want the best coffee in small amounts quickly...super automatic is the way to go. It will pay you back in the long run.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    French press and an electric kettle.

Yep this^

If your just making a couple cups this is the way to go. I got a Mr. Coffee branded press at Wal-Mart for $20.00 and I just use my tea kettle on the stove to heat water. Makes ~4 full sized (8oz) cups and tastes better than drip coffee. I use it on the weekends when I don't have to get up early and don't need the half pot I normally drink.

Of course I have a Black & Decker 12 cup drip machine also that I've had for about 2 years now and I like it a lot for EDC (every day coffee) making.

Oh and just to add my dad and my brother both have Keurig makers and they actually are very nice as log as you keep them filled with purified drinking water and not regular tap water. To cost prohibitive for me though.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Sorry guys, but if it says "Mr Coffee" or Black & Decker on it, the machine is not capable of making a GOOD cup of coffee. Think of your coffee maker in firearm terms. When I see Mr. Coffee, I see HiPoint, when I see Black & Decker I see Cobra.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Sorry guys, but if it says "Mr Coffee" or Black & Decker on it, the machine is not capable of making a GOOD cup of coffee. Think of your coffee maker in firearm terms. When I see Mr. Coffee, I see HiPoint, when I see Black & Decker I see Cobra.

:dunno:

My Black & Decker coffee maker takes in clear water and spits it out black and strong. That's all I care for it to do most mornings.

My press is a Mr. Coffee branded press.... Kinda hard to screw up a French press. It works just fine and makes just as good a cup of coffee as the presses that costs $100.00. It doesn't look as fancy but it effectively makes clear water black.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas

This. I went with the Bodum french press to save space (I don't want to take up counter space with a coffee maker). I have a blade grinder (I've had for 8 years, so i'll upgrade to Burr when it dies). No kettle for me as I wanted less stuff, so I just use a normal pot. Very surprised with how much better the coffee is from the same bean. Grinding for each use also gives me much more flavor than grinding a pound at the store.

In all, a bit more work, but much better results.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

This is good advice. If you don't want to do the French press(which I don't know why you wouldn't. Just the amount you want, great taste, easy cleanup), then get a Cusinart regular coffee maker and brew 4 cups at a time. That is really a travel mug's worth.

Top Bottom