• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Anybody wonder whatever happened to common sense? Why bother charging Liberty?

The situation turned out okay, it doesn't sound like the shot was reckless and everyone (and animals) lived for another day.

Good luck with your court hearing.

marine4life

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    South Indy
    I've said time and time again. If you pull your gun, you better kill whatever you point at. Or you will be on the wrong side of the law. Deadly force is the only justication. " I felt like my life was in grave danger." Any other reason, you are wrong. There is no such thing as a warning shot, only citations and criminal charges. They will always find a way to get you.

djjdnap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    the polis of indiana
    Or just dont call the popo and leave it as a civil matter;if I remember the story right, he called to report it.

If neighbors asked say your had some fireworks, lol. Well even then they got cited too, so im sure they wouldn't have said anything either anyway.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I don't understand why situations like this continue. The man was attacked, he protected himself, was a good neighbor, and they Carmel still wants to press the issue? What a foolish waste of taxpayer money and government time.
    I hope common sense prevails and everything turns out for you Liberty.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Common Sense is the most uncommon resourse on earth today!

I dearly hope that the you are given the option to present you case to a jury.

Question: Is the city prosecutor an elected position in Carmel? Maybe it's time he/she gets a wake up call and looses the cushy position. Someone who fails to look at the totality of the circumstances in deciding whether to procede with prosecution isn't one that needs to be in that position.

Best of luck to you Liberty! I hope someone along this line starts to see the light.

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    What a joke. I think the Carmel PD is mad because they had to leave their speed trap patrol posts up and down 31 to deal with an actual issue so they are getting back at Epic Stache Man.

It will be an outrage if he is not found innocent and cleared of any wrongdoing.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Thats Carmel for you....

Two summers ago, the fuel pump on my truck went out and stranded me on 116th St. I was on the phone lining up a tow and a buddy to come save my hind end when up roll Mr Carmel PD, and he was P I S S E D. No offer to help, no "are you ok", no "let me sit here with until your tow gets here, to make sure you don't get hit" Just "how long till you get this damn thing out of here?" A tow is on the way, sir "thats not fast enough, i need this gone NOW"

Now, my truck isn't a juck ole jalopy, its a newer nice looking vehicle, that during most days would fit in just fine in Carmel, not that day, a bit of bad luck, and Mr Fancy Pants with a badge give me a sour opinion of Carmel PD.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Anybody wonder whatever happened to common sense? Why bother charging Liberty?

The situation turned out okay, it doesn't sound like the shot was reckless and everyone (and animals) lived for another day.

Good luck with your court hearing.

Bigum, I agree with you. However, what would have happened if the officer just said, "Brother, I see this was necessary, so go on home" and the neighbors called the news about the incident? I can almost guarantee there would be accusations of fraternal nepotism because Liberty is a retired officer. Society forces common sense to be ignored in cases like this, because someone will complain and call the department corrupt and ask for the officer's job, because he would be labeled a bad cop.

I would have thought the prosecutor had something better to do, but he/she probably moved on it for the same reason. Now, we can only pray that the citizens of the great city of Carmel will use their common sense and trust the decision of an experienced officer who cut his teeth in the streets of Cincinnati(?) over that of a relatively new officer who probably encountered his first firearm call.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Bigum, I agree with you. However, what would have happened if the officer just said, "Brother, I see this was necessary, so go on home" and the neighbors called the news about the incident? I can almost guarantee there would be accusations of fraternal nepotism because Liberty is a retired officer. Society forces common sense to be ignored in cases like this, because someone will complain and call the department corrupt and ask for the officer's job, because he would be labeled a bad cop.

I would have thought the prosecutor had something better to do, but he/she probably moved on it for the same reason. Now, we can only pray that the citizens of the great city of Carmel will use their common sense and trust the decision of an experienced officer who cut his teeth in the streets of Cincinnati(?) over that of a relatively new officer who probably encountered his first firearm call.

You are 100% wrong in your assessment. By your logic, every time a person uses a firearm in self defense, they should be charged with a crime no matter what the circumstances. And then hope and pray the prosecutor doesn't pursue it.

No, this guy should be labeled a "bad cop", because he is. I don't want to talk out of turn, but LS told me the last thing the Carmel LEO told him was "I'm going to do everything in my power to have your LTCH revoked!"

Does that sound like some one who is fair minded or objective? This guy needs to find a new line of work....

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

Calling neighbors should have been told he acted within the law protecting his property ...himself!

The prosecutor is backing Officer Miller who lied on his report.

A judge will be deciding not 'the citizens" .

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You are 100% wrong in your assessment. By your logic, every time a person uses a firearm in self defense, they should be charged with a crime no matter what the circumstances. And then hope and pray the prosecutor doesn't pursue it.

No, this guy should be labeled a "bad cop", because he is. I don't want to talk out of turn, but LS told me the last thing the Carmel LEO told him was "I'm going to do everything in my power to have your LTCH revoked!"

Does that sound like some one who is fair minded or objective? This guy needs to find a new line of work....

I'm not sure what logic you used to reach your "100 wrong" determination, but I was not aware of what the officer said or his desire to to have Liberty's LTCH revoked. However, I came from a different approach in order to interject another point of view, as this is what occurs in mature conversation.

I'm presenting a viewpoint strictly from the information provided in this thread and what inference could possibly derive from a cop letting another cop "off" for "allegedly" illegally discharging a firearm in Carmel. Now, someone could, and most likely would, scream the police are corrupt and "If that were me... "

Say what you will, but I stand by my words and I stand by Liberty and continue to pray he is vindicated and the CPD is made to extend an apology to a man who served his community in the way he did.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Calling neighbors should have been told he acted within the law protecting his property ...himself!

The prosecutor is backing Officer Miller who lied on his report.

A judge will be deciding not 'the citizens" .

Again, there is no disagreement, just another point of view. Thanks for point #3. I forgot there wouldn't be a jury in this matter.

Top Bottom