• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's really not preaching safe gun handling that's grinding nerves. On that front, you're fighting the good fight.

It's the lumping INGO'rs together as the example of ignorance and dangerous gun handling that's pissing people off and clouding your otherwise sound advice.

This.
    Safety is important. Needs to be stated.
    But when the messenger insults the student.....

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I'm gonna go on a.limb here then and say never served in the military And had a.drill instructor or other cadre up your ass?
    OR, maybe you have and it still hurts. Lol
    Or played on a football team, had a good boxing coach ride you or had a sex ed class where they show all the nasty diseased pictures and tell you that's what you'll get for being stupid

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    INGOer Teaches INGO Why Loaded Guns Matter

Why all guns are always loaded. Don't let the next bloody paw we on the Internet see be yours.

The only error I see is she misspelled, "eet taint low-dead!"

INGOer Tamara schools you:

Not This Again! (A Handy Reminder) | Breach Bang Clear

I really don't see the problem here. If you feel as though Kirk is talking down to you or INGO in general I believe that is your perception and a misconception.

She is an INGOer and so am I. All I see is a reminder to be safe. That is how I take it.

He IS a 4 rules guy and that is a point of contention with some. My personal belief is that every group has to make their own set of rules thet "they" teach are the "only" rules and they can sell them. As Leadeye says follow the money.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's really not preaching safe gun handling that's grinding nerves. On that front, you're fighting the good fight.

It's the lumping INGO'rs together as the example of ignorance and dangerous gun handling that's pissing people off and clouding your otherwise sound advice.

That's pretty much where I'm at with it. I'm fine with Kirk bringing up these kinds of threads and reminding people to be safe. It mostly gets people talking about safety, and that's certainly not a bad thing.

But it'd be nice if he'd not act like everyone on INGO is as unsafe as the person in whatever example he posted, and especially that he's the guy to save INGO from itself. That just comes off as arrogance.

+2, although it doesn't get under my skin all that much, so much as make me wish for an end to the collective guilt trip over the basic safety rule violation from one bozo.
    I haven't done any of these things, and the muzzle is never pointed in an unsafe direction the entire time leading up to before, during, and after magazine (if any) removal, opening the bolt, and verification that the gun is fully unloaded...twice.
    Even when preparing to fire for the first time with a cased gun at the range, the first thing that happens immediately after uncasing the gun is seeing that the muzzle remains in a safe direction as it's uncased and stays that way, even as the chamber and magazine are checked to verify that it's unloaded.
    I'm OCD about the Cooper Rules, and I see that anyone I train has that instilled to the point of following it being a reflex action.
    It's for that reason that, spot on as preaching how crucial never veering from following the rules is, it actually detracts from the message to just assume that we're all yahoos.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Ouch, reminds me a lot of pictures of an EOD guy off one of our ranges and the outcome of biting a blasting cap; I'm guessing he didn't need that lower jaw. I don't care how many numbers you think are in the rules just follow them.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Why all guns are always loaded. Don't let the next bloody paw we on the Internet see be yours.

The only error I see is she misspelled, "eet taint low-dead!"

INGOer Tamara schools you:

Not This Again! (A Handy Reminder) | Breach Bang Clear

I am so offended that I shared on fb and tagged my niece who will shoot her first gun tomorrow.

Maybe using reminds instead of teaches would have changed the tone but some seem to look for something to be offended by.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I can't speak for Mr. Freeman and whether or not he is arrogant. I'm thinking that he is just like the rest of us and knows that without being constantly aware of gun safety, he, like the rest of us, will end up a statistic (not a good one). For those whose mighty egos are poked by his posts, all I can say is, if it gets and keeps your attention, he has done some good. When I really got interested in guns, decades ago, safety practices were drummed into me. That doesn't mean that I've never gotten lax, especially when something unusual happened. I think it does us all good to have someone really get our attention, when it comes to things as important as gun safety. Whether or not you like his demeanor, he gets and keeps your attention. I'll tell you a little true story. When I was sitting in a waiting area at the Phu Bai airport, a young lean soldier dressed in tiger stripped fatigues (pre-BDU) and wearing a beret and a large knife on his chest came up to me and said, "Excuse me lieutenant, but you were my training officer in basic training!" I immediately thought he was going to slit my throat! He said, "You were a hard-ass, but some of the things you taught me, have saved my life here! Thank you." He said, "You always told us that not all of us were going to end up in combat in Viet Nam, but you were training all of us to that standard." He went on, "I didn't understand it then, but I do now." We shook hands and I never saw him again. I had many training cycles at Ft. Campbell, but one incident really stands out. After a very long day of training and a long march, the trainees were beat. It was dark. I walked along the company area and noticed that there were some rifles abandoned. I started recruiting trainees (before they could run back and spread the alarm) to start gathering rifles. We got them back to the company orderly room. I told the trainees who helped me to remain. After a little while, a trainee reported to the orderly room and said that his rifle had been stolen. I had him pick out his rifle and remain. After all the owners had reported. I gave them a chewing out, emphasizing how important it was to always have their rifle with them. I then had them go outside and do push ups with their rifles over their knuckles. Apparently it did at least taught one soldier a lesson, and he thought it was an important enough lesson to thank me over a year later. I hope some of you, who are upset with Mr. Freeman, will be able to stop before doing something dangerous and think back to something he posted that you hated at the time and at least say to yourself, "Thank you Mr. Freeman!"

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have some with actual AND potential decockers!

Yep. That's one of my favorite things about my Walther P99, a striker fired pistol with a decocker. I don't have to actuate the trigger to break it down. And since I also respect it's potential as a "decocker" I don't point it at my junk. Ever. (sorry, I just can't get there mentally for appendix carry, but I am not built for that regardless)

Top Bottom