Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Any DT or swingers in the plans? I tend to hate them, so that probably means I should practice them.

I can't wait to see some metric targets, I'm still kinda turtled-out from Warsaw!

I will work some activating targets into the mix.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Going to design the two field courses in the next couple of days. If there is something specific that you want to see and you are signed up let me know.

Apparently Steel. Apparently I can hit it well about 50% of the time :rolleyes:

DISTANCE pretty much hosed the rest of my match.

Any DT or swingers in the plans? I tend to hate them, so that probably means I should practice them.

I can't wait to see some metric targets, I'm still kinda turtled-out from Warsaw!

Well the answer to that, is turtles on a swinger.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    That's good because I'm going to be there. I'll be shooting my first production batch of reloads. Maybe I'll blow up a Glock.

I have been ROing a few people that have blown up guns. I can think of three off the top of my head. I would rather not have it happen again this week.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    We loaded and shot about 400 rounds in the testing and learning phase without issue[SUP]1[/SUP]. About 50% of those went over a chronograph. We measured powder charges at a 3-4% sample rate during the first production run. OAL at a 8-10% sample rate. We chamber checked every round that went in the can. I have a detailed spreadsheet of all testing phase measurements along with ranges and standard deviations to gauge the consistency and precision of the data we collected.

I am relatively confident in our QC process. That being said, I am an amateur and this is really the first serious use of my reloads. So anything is possible. I might bring my face shield and some gloves. :)

Edit: 1. Well, not completely without issue. Without any pressure issues or questionable velocities. The testing phase number is so high in part because we had primer seating issues. Then, without researching the problem, adjusted the wrong way and completely baffled ourselves for awhile. Later, we got smart and started measuring primer seating depth and working to a standard. We also had depriming issues, but that was a separate boondogle altogether.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Any injuries as a result of these over-pressure incidents?

I've seen multiple minor injuries with some blood, but nothing life threatening.

When they are genuinely over-pressure, the work done by the expanding gases to damage the barrel often uses much of the energy. The two Kimber Kabooms I mentioned above were of this variety. The barrel was split almost all the way from the chamber to the muzzle and the slide separated on one side from the frame (don't know if the rails were permanently damaged or not). Since it was a .45 (relatively low pressure) my guess it that it was a combination of an overcharged round firing behind a bullet from a squib maybe 2/3 of the way down the barrel.

I've witnessed more instances of rounds firing out of battery, which isn't really a failing of the ammunition. This tends to exhaust the gases through the grip/magwell area from what I've seen. We saw this happen with a Glock 22 a few years ago at Riley that was kind of exciting. A little blood, a ruined magazine, and some raw nerves were the results. I think some damage was done to the trigger group as well, but I'm not sure.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I've seen multiple minor injuries with some blood, but nothing life threatening.

When they are genuinely over-pressure, the work done by the expanding gases to damage the barrel often uses much of the energy. The two Kimber Kabooms I mentioned above were of this variety. The barrel was split almost all the way from the chamber to the muzzle and the slide separated on one side from the frame (don't know if the rails were permanently damaged or not). Since it was a .45 (relatively low pressure) my guess it that it was a combination of an overcharged round firing behind a bullet from a squib maybe 2/3 of the way down the barrel.

I've witnessed more instances of rounds firing out of battery, which isn't really a failing of the ammunition. This tends to exhaust the gases through the grip/magwell area from what I've seen. We saw this happen with a Glock 22 a few years ago at Riley that was kind of exciting. A little blood, a ruined magazine, and some raw nerves were the results. I think some damage was done to the trigger group as well, but I'm not sure.

If I make it out with 10 functioning fingers and two usable eyes I'll be happy. Anything short of that and well... Chicks dig scars, right?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If I make it out with 10 functioning fingers and two usable eyes I'll be happy. Anything short of that and well... Chicks dig scars, right?

I tried to use that theory when I split my forehead open. I got some sympathy, but no play!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Just had two last minute cancellations. There are two spots open at the moment.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I blew up my first M&P. I had the round until recently.

The only thing was a small nick on the finger and charcoal black hands.

Smith diagnosed as a compressed round.

Well, I'm shooting a Glock and they are known for massive Kaboom-like failures. So I'll probably lose a finger and an eye. That's about the kind of luck I have anyway.

I guess if I leave with my genitals intact I should be thankful.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Well, I'm shooting a Glock and they are known for massive Kaboom-like failures. So I'll probably lose a finger and an eye. That's about the kind of luck I have anyway.

I guess if I leave with my genitals intact I should be thankful.

Your just a figment of optimism, aren't you.

Top Bottom