• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The most likely person to replace Mubarak would be Mohamed ElBaradei, the oppositions leader and the former UN inspector. He'd be a welcome change for the country, despite his UN back ground. Much more a secularist, than an Islamist, (of which there are few in Egypt and none in positions which would catapult them into a position of power).

Curious why you don't think he is an Islamist. I heard on NPR that he appears to be the hand picked rep of the Muslim Brotherhood. Not exactly a group of Boy Scouts.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Curious why you don't think he is an Islamist. I heard on NPR that he appears to be the hand picked rep of the Muslim Brotherhood. Not exactly a group of Boy Scouts.
    The only reason the MB supports him is because he's the face of the opposition in Egypt and the MB have no place at the table, as a political entity. They're forbidden by law from participating in the political process and many have been imprisoned for trying it. Some supporters have managed to run as independents, but they're on the margins and only a bare handful have been elected, (most quit in protest after the last "elections" and the voter fraud that occurred). The MB, in Egypt, just isn't a viable force to be reckoned with today. Most Egyptians don't embrace radicalism of that sort.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    The MB, in Egypt, just isn't a viable force to be reckoned with today. Most Egyptians don't embrace radicalism of that sort.

I have been carefully reviewing video of the protests, well more specifically I've been examining the audio of the videos, and unfortunately the all of the crowds seem to be chanting in concert, chants of "Allah Akbar!" as they riot.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have been carefully reviewing video of the protests, well more specifically I've been examining the audio of the videos, and unfortunately the all of the crowds seem to be chanting in concert, chants of "Allah Akbar!" as they riot.
    So? It's a common phrase for them. They're also yelling "Down. Down. Mubarak", "Change", "Peace" and many other phrases. Unfortunately, the only one you recognise is that one.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    So? It's a common phrase for them. They're also yelling "Down. Down. Mubarak", "Change", "Peace" and many other phrases. Unfortunately, the only one you recognise is that one.

And the reason I recognize it? could it be because it's one that is always chanted when non-Muslims are beheaded, passenger jets are flown into buildings & suicide vests are detonated?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    And the reason I recognize it? could it be because it's one that is always chanted when non-Muslims are beheaded, passenger jets are flown into buildings & suicide vests are detonated?
    Last time I checked Mubarak was a muslim and wasn't being beheaded. None of the protesters have flown anything into anything. And no-one's been blown up, (altho the police there have managed to kill more than a few people). Using your logic we should arrest Glenn Beck for all of his Jesus and faith talk and toss him in prison, he might be a terrorist with all that religious talk.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Last time I checked Mubarak was a muslim and wasn't being beheaded. None of the protesters have flown anything into anything. And no-one's been blown up, (altho the police there have managed to kill more than a few people). Using your logic we should arrest Glenn Beck for all of his Jesus and faith talk and toss him in prison, he might be a terrorist with all that religious talk.

Non sequitur argument.

Someone doesn't always get bit every time a rattle snake rattles it's tail, however a wise man instantly becomes very aware of his surroundings when he hears one being rattled.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    STRATFOR has a report (unconfirmed) saying sources inside HAMAS claim that they are assisting MB supporters in the protests. Since HAMAS and HEZBOLLAH are wholely-owned subsidiaries of Iran, I think it's a good indication Iran is helping to push this revolution. DRUDGEREPORT headline says US is quietly aiding revolution. Oil prices are supposedly rising on fears that the revolution will shut down the Suez Canal - which would hinder the shipment of oil to a good part of the world.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If I would hazard a guess I think this mess could be laid at the feet of any combination of 3 countries of the top of my head...
    The US...
    Iran...
    And the Saudis...

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If I would hazard a guess I think this mess could be laid at the feet of any combination of 3 countries of the top of my head...
    The US...
    Iran...
    And the Saudis...

Won't argue about Iran (since that's who I think is behind this) but both the US and Saudi Arabia have more interest in things in Egypt staying the same than in a change of government.

Do you see any gain for the US if one of our long-time allies gets run off?

Saudis are fighting an internal battle against the Wahabists; the Muslim Brotherhood getting control of Egypt will just increase pressure on them. What's in it for the Saudis?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Won't argue about Iran (since that's who I think is behind this) but both the US and Saudi Arabia have more interest in things in Egypt staying the same than in a change of government.

Do you see any gain for the US if one of our long-time allies gets run off?

Saudis are fighting an internal battle against the Wahabists; the Muslim Brotherhood getting control of Egypt will just increase pressure on them. What's in it for the Saudis?
    I cannot think of a reason for US to be mixed into the BS there.
    However, We have done far stupider things for a far vaguer reasons...

The Wahhabi are spending HUGE sums of Money in Egypt buying up everything they can get there little mitts onto...
    You left out the most likely and logical culprit. The Egyptian people.
    I was just using an educated guess at the additional Players in this arena. Very few People in History have truly acted like this on their own accord. There usually is someone in the Shadows that will stand to gain... ;)

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    That's real nice..If you just have an opinion and not talking crap about anyone. they send you negative rep,just for stating your opinion. very classy LOBO. maybe you can get some neg rep for no reason. Thanks you tool.

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    :rolleyes:
    You got negative rep for your "READ THE BIBLE" comment. Apparently, "READ THE BIBLE" isn't a religious post to the mods, so here's another non-religious suggestion. Keep your fairy tales to yourself. This is the politics section.

I don't need any non-religious suggestions from you. but thank's anyway.
    I'm not your child. and nobody has made you god. so don't tell me to keep anything to myself. you can only boss people around when you pull them over. not on a gun board.:nono:

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    :rolleyes:

I don't need any non-religious suggestions from you. but thank's anyway.
    I'm not your child. and nobody has made you god. so don't tell me to keep anything to myself. you can only boss people around when you pull them over. not on a gun board.:nono:
    If I had rep. I'd give it to ya.:D

Top Bottom