• Is 300 Blackout Deer Legal

• Total voters

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Digging thread out of graveyard.. Anyone see actual law or can tell me where to reference, as I found this synopsis from DNR own page, they specifically call out all .30 caliber ammo as illegal.

Some handgun cartridges that are illegal for deer hunting are .38 Special, .38 Smith and Wesson, .38 Colt New Police, .38/200, .38 Long Colt, .38 Super, .38 ACP, .38 Colt Auto, .45 ACP, .45 Automatic and .45 Auto Rim. All .25/.20, .32/.20 and .30 carbine ammunition is prohibited.

Read it again.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Keep in mind that for next years deer season the max case length for a pistol caliber rifle will be extended to 1.8" vs. the 1.625" we currently have. I'm going to wait to see what the new offerings are before I have any custom rifles built.

I was going to reply that it already happened then I saw how O-O-O-L-L-L-L-D-D-D this thread was.

Yes, I think that the DNR is boiling a frog with piece meal steps to full centerfire inclusion. Gonna take awhile though..

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Mag capacity has no bearing in IN. SOME states, of course, limit mag capacity.

General rule of thumb for a handgun: overall length under 26"

In IN, to hunt deer with a handgun: Bullet diameter over .234", Min case length 1.16", min barrel length of 4.0", and must use hollow point ammo. And it can't have a stock, obviously.

-J-

Old post but still in need of correction:

There's no mandate on using hollowpoints in a handgun for deer.
    The rules just say no FMJ.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Old post but still in need of correction:

There's no mandate on using hollowpoints in a handgun for deer.
    The rules just say no FMJ.
    You beat me to it. I was gonna say that.

Last gun show I had 5 people ask if 300 AAC blk was legal to hunt deer with. I told them all the same thing I have been saying for 2 years. There is a rumor that DNR is going to change the rules again but I have not seen anything in writing for 2014.
    If you have some information about new updates let me know.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I use JHP on deer, 180, 200 and 240 gr in .44 handgun.
    Ran 240 JHP in sabots in my MZ's for a spell.

Used a 236 gr Norma factory load in my dad's fingergroove Ruger .44...............but that bullet was notoriously stiff. It zings right through......but takes a chunk out of anything solid along the way ;)

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    ...I take the 115 lead gr spitzer that the Marine Corp used to use in 30-40 Krag and put it in a ought six case...

please educate me - when was the 30-40 ever loaded with a 115gr spitzer by the military?

Everything I have ever read states that the cartridge was initially developed with a 230gr bullet, which was soon abandoned for a 220gr bullet, which served for the remainder of the Krags relatively short service life.

Even antique commercial ammo from remington and winchester was loaded with a 220gr soft point.

Top Bottom