• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    ps this is a common topic on most the bushcraft forums lol. you will always have some who are all the way for it, some all the way against it, and some like me who see both sides of the sword. either way it's always a option for splitting wood in a pinch

Batonning v. Axing

I must be in the minority. The only time I split wood is at home for the furnace and I use a hydraulic splitter :D

When I am camping or otherwise in the woods and I have a fire, I use the fire to do the work for me. I burn in half longer pieces too big to break, then again as needed. I can't think of the last time I split wood in any fashion for a campfire. I don't carry a hatchet or axe either.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I must be in the minority. The only time I split wood is at home for the furnace and I use a hydraulic splitter :D

When I am camping or otherwise in the woods and I have a fire, I use the fire to do the work for me. I burn in half longer pieces too big to break, then again as needed. I can't think of the last time I split wood in any fashion for a campfire. I don't carry a hatchet or axe either.
    You and I both apparently...

I do occasionally carry a Tomahawk on my pack, usually in the winter time...

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I would think that axes have a lower hardness so they are more malleable if you hit something swinging it around fast the edge will roll instead of chip? also you can realign the edge.

Would you take a kitchen/carpet/utility/filet knife into the woods to use in a survival scenerio? If its all you got then its all you got but I would prefer a larger knife.

You can get a knife that will chop, slice, baton, pry, dig all in 1 package... what are you giving up?

That's one reason the edge of an axe is softer but not the main one. By the way, you keep say "swinging it around" as it the axe can be handled no other way. Don't you know axe swinging technique? It's not rocket science. I learned how to do it in about half an hour when I was a kid. This argument is that a person should look for a different kind of compromise tool rather than simply learn a technique. I don't accept that position. I think a person is better served by learning.

I would be fine with a butcher knife, especially the old hickory style. Trappers did it for years.

You are giving up a lot of cutting efficiency, wood shaving efficiency, resharpening efficiency, weight efficiency and to make a knife good for batoning, you have to make the cross section a splitting wedge. Plus to get a knife that you can use for batoning, you need a big knife that is very cumbersome for smaller tasks. You're going to be stuck with the wrong knife for other tasks instead of just picking up kindling.

Tim

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    That's one reason the edge of an axe is softer but not the main one. By the way, you keep say "swinging it around" as it the axe can be handled no other way. Don't you know axe swinging technique? It's not rocket science. I learned how to do it in about half an hour when I was a kid. This argument is that a person should look for a different kind of compromise tool rather than simply learn a technique. I don't accept that position. I think a person is better served by learning.

I would be fine with a butcher knife, especially the old hickory style. Trappers did it for years.

You are giving up a lot of cutting efficiency, wood shaving efficiency, resharpening efficiency, weight efficiency and to make a knife good for batoning, you have to make the cross section a splitting wedge. Plus to get a knife that you can use for batoning, you need a big knife that is very cumbersome for smaller tasks. You're going to be stuck with the wrong knife for other tasks instead of just picking up kindling.

Tim

honestly i don't care one way or the other but i think you may be missing out on a lot of the newer knives with better heat treats that can do all this and then some plus some more and then some more after that. it doesn't have to be a splitting wedge, just a sharp knife that can be hit on the spine. i have batoned some 1/8th inch thick knives through some pretty big logs when i had no other options and when i was done it was still sharp enough to make a couple very fine feather sticks, cut up dinner and still shave arm hair off if need for no reason.

a axe is a great tool also and i love them also. my gransfors small forest axe is one of my go to woods tools but it's not for everybody. i have seen at least 3 people personally smack their legs because they weren't using proper techniques. this will be my last post in here as it's pointless to argue about batoning lol, if it works for you do it, if it doesn't and you don't like it then don't do it.

either way just be safe out in the woods and do/practice what you know.

and shib not all of us are big ballers like you. some of still have to stay at home with a splitting maul and do work :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think I'm just an old guy, a knife stupid old guy. This is my primary (non powered) wood cutter. Got one in the pack, one in the truck:

11BZ06WXCXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    honestly i don't care one way or the other but i think you may be missing out on a lot of the newer knives with better heat treats that can do all this and then some plus some more and then some more after that.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree but I will point out that a couple of the favorite blades here are made from various forms of high carbon tool steel and the heat treatment on that hasn't changed for a couple centuries.

As an aside, for anyone wondering where they can find kindling - the last I recall just about every deciduous tree I've ever seen when there's one big branch that you may want to consider splitting....there's a lot of little branches on it that indicate that you don't have to.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    and shib not all of us are big ballers like you. some of still have to stay at home with a splitting maul and do work :)

Heh. I keep the maul next to the hydraulic splitter and during the season I spend about ten minutes a day with the maul just for the exercise. But I pick and choose for the rounds I know will split well with the maul, I'll let the hydraulics take care of the spiral grain, knot infested miscreants. Truth be told, one of the reasons I like the furnace is because I can throw larger chunks into it, less splitting that way.

The slabwood from my mill just gets cut to length and chucked in as is, though sometimes I break one with my hands just to feel studly...

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Heh. I keep the maul next to the hydraulic splitter and during the season I spend about ten minutes a day with the maul just for the exercise. But I pick and choose for the rounds I know will split well with the maul, I'll let the hydraulics take care of the spiral grain, knot infested miscreants. Truth be told, one of the reasons I like the furnace is because I can throw larger chunks into it, less splitting that way.

The slabwood from my mill just gets cut to length and chucked in as is, though sometimes I break one with my hands just to feel studly...

lol your a beast sir, it's no wonder you don't baton you just rip chunks of wood in half with your bare hands :)

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Kind of on topic but does anyone remember that tool that was made in the 50's-60's where it was basically a hatched head with no handle that was designed so you could field fabricate a handle? It also had a hammer on it, iirc. That was a very interesting survival tool. Can't remember the name of it though.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I'm just questioning if a knife's ability to baton well is something we really need....or something a few people came up with the idea of to sell you a knife, possibly even something to sell you a knife that makes a knife less functional as a knife.....

i have to agree in most cases.

some users need a knife capable of batoning. those same users will often make teh mistake of picking the wrong type of knife for batoning. hello injuries and broken gear!

most times when i see or hear of someone batoning wood "because they had to" there was usually another way. or it wasn't truly needed.

the cross sections on the most effective batoning capable knives are not usually good CUTTERS. usually too thick. i will make knives thicker at the edge if the person wants to use it for woods work. because when someone tells you "i'm gonna just use it in the woods" that means they are going to go out and try to be Surviorman in the back yard after watching 8000 hours of "extreme zombie survial brushcraft" on youtube. and break the knife and be mad. so, thicker it is. you can ALWAYS thin down a knife, but adding stock back is more difficult.

so... after 5000 words and rambling. i think batoning is over rated. i also think it has its place. the user just needs to be willing to BE the tool, not just purchase new ones. the more you KNOW the safer you are.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Batoning is a fancy way of cutting wood. Knives are meant to cut things, not be beat with a piece of wood to cut into another piece of wood. Get a hatchet if you really gotta split wood.

Not true. Many knives today are meant to beat on with a piece of wood (ie, my Avatar <-----).
    I find a big "chopper" to be the most versatile tool in the woods for me, but I agree a hatchet, axe, machete, or a big ass meat cleaver are handy too. There are many camps of thought, and all have valid points. To each his own.

Top Bottom