Is Cheaper Than Dirt looking to stir up another panic?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Ok, at the risk of seeming to defend CTD, just what did they say that was incorrect, or "stirring the pot"?

One may not like CTD, but I don't see anything that would not be written in Human Events, NRO, The Federalist or Instapundit.
    The point is, who cares what they have to say?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Now, boys, play nice. You know capitalism is all about making money. Can't blame them for making hay when the sun was shining. There is one born every minute, (customarily attributed to P.T. Barnum), and a fool is soon parted from his money (according to King Solomon). Kipling said something to the effect of:

If he play, my son,
    Being young and foolish,
    Take his money, praising Allah!
    The fool was born to be sold.

(my paraphrase since I can't reach a wikipedia from the international airport in Medan. Indonesia blocks many websites.)

If CTD can get a sucker to pay $90 for a $20 mag, how is that any different from a sucker bet in a bar, or scalping Super Bowl tickets, or doubling the price on an AR-15 because one put $100 of improvements on it and now calls it tactical? You who are wise to the scam can post the warning, just like a driver flashing lights to warn others of a speed trap, but it really is unnecessary to call CTD names for doing what 99% of businessmen will do when given the opportunity.

How many of us would turn down the opportunity to get in the way of an extra $200 if we had a chance to be a middle man between two guys, one who is willing to pay $800 for a Marlin 39A Mountie and our friend who has one for sale for $600?

I rarely buy from CTD (only if they have something no one else has, e.g. 709 mags, and the price is reasonable after I do my research); and I do not recommend them to anyone. I just think it surpassing strange that so many go Rambo or Postal (figuratively) on CTD for playing the capitalism game to win. They are competitive; they are in a cut-throat business; they had a chance to make a great profit and they jumped on it. Smart business. Let the buyer (suckers, fools, and gamblers) beware.

Helmet and flame suit on. Heading for the bunker! INCOMING!!!
    I didn't see anyone say they couldn't do what they did. Instead we are all saying what you said. We will never have anything to do with the company.

The whole market went crazy eventually, as we all know. They were just worse than most and very early to the party.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yet, many folks here will still shop at Plainfield or other places that charged $50 for a box of S&B 9mm, $100 (then later $60) for Pmags during the gunshow after the panic and so on...

I did not see that from them. Interesting. I was not aware.
    Everything I have bought out of there was a good deal or I would not have done it.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I didn't see anyone say they couldn't do what they did. Instead we are all saying what you said. We will never have anything to do with the company.

The whole market went crazy eventually, as we all know. They were just worse than most and very early to the party.
    Agreed, they were the most aggressive. Buyer beware.

Keep calm and carry on.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Ok, at the risk of seeming to defend CTD, just what did they say that was incorrect, or "stirring the pot"?

One may not like CTD, but I don't see anything that would not be written in Human Events, NRO, The Federalist or Instapundit.

I concur with Kirk. Also, how often do you hear or see emails stirring up a panic to raise money from one of the organizations that they mention. Its a common tactic. Dems came up with the impeachment mantra to raise money over the summer. The right dusts off the latest fear to get money in election season....no different.

No, I don't frequent CTD.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yet, many folks here will still shop at Plainfield or other places that charged $50 for a box of S&B 9mm, $100 (then later $60) for Pmags during the gunshow after the panic and so on...
    Yep screw shops like that. There's others and at least one is an advertiser here but I'm not gonna say their name because I don't wanna get axed or be targeted by the buddy crowd.
    screw cheaper than dirt too!
    its really no surprise to see things like this in the gun community or dealers at gun shows. Some people will flip on their best friends to make an extra buck. I simply choose not to do business with places like that.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    **** CTD.

That's all I have to say about that.
    OUCH! :laugh:

Never bought anything from them, but I'll take the word from fellow INGO'ers not to bother.

To the point of the thread and article, I'm 'automatically' opposed to whomever is nominated by the Liar-In-Chief to replace scumbag Holder, as a matter of principle.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    So I don't know if anybody noticed but when i was lurking :shady: as usual i clicked on this one and guess who's ad was in the OP. :dunno:

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Everything I have bought out of there was a good deal or I would not have done it.

This would be my take...I shop around and for the same product at a lower price (including shipping)...:dunno:

If they are not the cheapest (and they often are not) then they don't get my business. I guess I never got pissed at them for price gouging because when they were they wouldn't even be in my cross check.

I tend to take people trying to gouge in person in a shop more personally as they are standing right there looking me in the face and I bothered to go there. :xmad: Now they're wasting my time and gas.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN

He did it at the gunshow during the height of the panic. Another INGOer saw this same thing.

Coupled with that, they like to impress upon people about "get it now before it's banned", microstamping and "they're going to get rid of the lifetime LTCH (they have it from a "reliable" source)". Bob is about making money, like any other salesperson, but frankly, I got tired of hearing about "n-words" and the price sticking pretty much shied me away for life (considering how many thousands a year I spent there, that's saying something). A few of their "sales people" felt high pressure, used car tactics or would not shut up about stuff that had no merit (racking a shotgun scares intruders away, women should carry Airweights as they are perfect for them... etc...).

Bradis stayed true in my book: They raised a little, but I did not see $60 or $100 Pmags or other ruckus, just empty shelves. They'll have my business.

Non-commoditized product sales, such as cars, guns, survival equipment, housing, etc... all relies on the basic premise of customer's lack of knowledge. That's how they thrive and succeed. The less a customer knows, the more the seller stands to win, the easier it is to win. The short time I worked in a gun store, the easiest sell was based on pathos: if they look like they "need" the gun due to fear of impending issues (election, when the blue hats come, etc...), the customer is VERY prone to anything you feed them.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    He did it at the gunshow during the height of the panic. Another INGOer saw this same thing.

Coupled with that, they like to impress upon people about "get it now before it's banned", microstamping and "they're going to get rid of the lifetime LTCH (they have it from a "reliable" source)". Bob is about making money, like any other salesperson, but frankly, I got tired of hearing about "n-words" and the price sticking pretty much shied me away for life (considering how many thousands a year I spent there, that's saying something). A few of their "sales people" felt high pressure, used car tactics or would not shut up about stuff that had no merit (racking a shotgun scares intruders away, women should carry Airweights as they are perfect for them... etc...).

Bradis stayed true in my book: They raised a little, but I did not see $60 or $100 Pmags or other ruckus, just empty shelves. They'll have my business.

Non-commoditized product sales, such as cars, guns, survival equipment, housing, etc... all relies on the basic premise of customer's lack of knowledge. That's how they thrive and succeed. The less a customer knows, the more the seller stands to win, the easier it is to win. The short time I worked in a gun store, the easiest sell was based on pathos: if they look like they "need" the gun due to fear of impending issues (election, when the blue hats come, etc...), the customer is VERY prone to anything you feed them.
    The "gun business" stores and shows, have always seemed just like the used car business to me. If you have a trade in they **** you on that and most likely on the new purchase too. More so on use guns just like used cars because that's where the most profit is.
    VERY FEW gun store owners actually care about natural rights and informing their customer. I'm finding some newer shops actualy are more customer oriented. It's a breath of fresh air.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The "gun business" stores and shows, have always seemed just like the used car business to me. If you have a trade in they **** you on that and most likely on the new purchase too. More so on use guns just like used cars because that's where the most profit is.
    VERY FEW gun store owners actually care about natural rights and informing their customer. I'm finding some newer shops actualy are more customer oriented. It's a breath of fresh air.

Gun shops have to make money on used guns too...

Bradis will tell you straight up, you'll always get more by selling it outright, like on INGO.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN

The shop I worked at, people used to claim we "lowballed" them, until they went to another shop. Shops are in a unique position: They have the gun you want, you bring in yours to trade, they can usually command a lower trade in value as they offer the convenience of the on-the-spot trade. If you sold to a person, the time to list the ad, to chase after tirekickers, to get it sold, meet up (and the inherent risk anymore due to thugs and hoods), sell and then go back to the store, if you calculated it in terms of hours, even at $10 an hour, you are still losing out. They have overhead they have to maintain, etc... I always hated when someone came in and it goes like this:
    Hey, I want to trade in my Glock 26 for that new Judge Taurus came out with.
    Okay, I can give you $300 in trade value for the G26.
    I paid $500 for the gun new! I won't take a penny less than that.
    (after some calming thoughts) So if I give you $500 in trade value on your G26, I will make no money on the transaction. What price would I put the G26 up for in my case? $505? The time speaking with you, the lights on right now, etc... all cost money. Combine with the fact that giving you $500 in trade on the Taurus, I am now out any potential capital to keep running the store, in addition to losing the money we paid for the Judge.
    (Some deliberation) Okay, if you do $480, that should cover your power bill for the day, right?

It's not a scam, it's business.

On the other hand, the smaller stores I've given up on. The worst gun store rhetoric and lies I've ever heard were from smaller stores. Often staffed with overenthusiastic and undereducated employees. "Oh, yeah, the military is thinking of going to the Sterling AR-180 that you are fondling, it has 1:7 twist and is MOA accurate" (they are none of these things) That one was my favorite. They rarely will order anything for you, often claiming "we can't get that" (true or not), wanting to sell one of the 2 Glocks or 1 Mossberg they have on the shelf when I'm looking for an AR lower or something. ALOT of these folks popped up during the last few panics and honestly, if they do not offer some value added service other than "Hey, buy guns from us, we're new!", they will not last the harsh Indiana winters. :)

Top Bottom