Is Cheaper Than Dirt looking to stir up another panic?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The shop I worked at, people used to claim we "lowballed" them, until they went to another shop. Shops are in a unique position: They have the gun you want, you bring in yours to trade, they can usually command a lower trade in value as they offer the convenience of the on-the-spot trade. If you sold to a person, the time to list the ad, to chase after tirekickers, to get it sold, meet up (and the inherent risk anymore due to thugs and hoods), sell and then go back to the store, if you calculated it in terms of hours, even at $10 an hour, you are still losing out. They have overhead they have to maintain, etc... I always hated when someone came in and it goes like this:
    Hey, I want to trade in my Glock 26 for that new Judge Taurus came out with.
    Okay, I can give you $300 in trade value for the G26.
    I paid $500 for the gun new! I won't take a penny less than that.
    (after some calming thoughts) So if I give you $500 in trade value on your G26, I will make no money on the transaction. What price would I put the G26 up for in my case? $505? The time speaking with you, the lights on right now, etc... all cost money. Combine with the fact that giving you $500 in trade on the Taurus, I am now out any potential capital to keep running the store, in addition to losing the money we paid for the Judge.
    (Some deliberation) Okay, if you do $480, that should cover your power bill for the day, right?

It's not a scam, it's business.

On the other hand, the smaller stores I've given up on. The worst gun store rhetoric and lies I've ever heard were from smaller stores. Often staffed with overenthusiastic and undereducated employees. "Oh, yeah, the military is thinking of going to the Sterling AR-180 that you are fondling, it has 1:7 twist and is MOA accurate" (they are none of these things) That one was my favorite. They rarely will order anything for you, often claiming "we can't get that" (true or not), wanting to sell one of the 2 Glocks or 1 Mossberg they have on the shelf when I'm looking for an AR lower or something. ALOT of these folks popped up during the last few panics and honestly, if they do not offer some value added service other than "Hey, buy guns from us, we're new!", they will not last the harsh Indiana winters. :)
    Oh I know they gotta make money no hard feelings there. I'm talking about shops that only give $200 for a used glock. We know they're out there and that's ****ing your customer.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Oh I know they gotta make money no hard feelings there. I'm talking about shops that only give $200 for a used glock. We know they're out there and that's ****ing your customer.

I'm not trolling you, but I would think that due to market saturation (absolutely innundated with guns right now), tons of police trade ins that stores can barely sell despite HUGE markdowns in price, the age of the store giving $300 in value for a Glock are ending.

Look at the depressing forces the market currently has on ARs. Palmetto had Bushmsater ORCs for 499, with $50 mail in rebate. Those were definitely sold for $700+ depending on the shop/site before.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    sigh....another CTD bashing...wow...here I go again...

I like CTD. Last purchase I made was the mags for my excellent LC9S. No one and I mean NO ONE could beat the price I paid for them (which I won't disclose so not to offend those who overpaid for theirs).

So that I won't get banned or labeled a pariah, there are LGSs that are WORSE than CTD and I have to laugh off the comments when I read how others praise them.

What I don't get is why people bash places like this when they all have choices to move on and buy it elsewhere. Could it be anger because they are getting away with it (like thousands of other places related and unrelated to firearms)?

Oh well. I guess I'll just troll around and provide my .02 when I see another CTD/Gander/RIA/Taurus/anything non Kimber, Colt, S&W, Springfield, Glock, etc bashing.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    They are the only company we refuse transfers from. We decided this after Sandy Hook and the infamous $90 pmags.
    A lot of members like PSS, they were selling (or trying to) P mags for $100 back then, and I read on a thread that they were refusing to sell them to customers in their shop because they were "saving" them for the 1500.:rolleyes:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    sigh....another CTD bashing...wow...here I go again...

I like CTD. Last purchase I made was the mags for my excellent LC9S. No one and I mean NO ONE could beat the price I paid for them (which I won't disclose so not to offend those who overpaid for theirs).

So that I won't get banned or labeled a pariah, there are LGSs that are WORSE than CTD and I have to laugh off the comments when I read how others praise them.

What I don't get is why people bash places like this when they all have choices to move on and buy it elsewhere. Could it be anger because they are getting away with it (like thousands of other places related and unrelated to firearms)?

Oh well. I guess I'll just troll around and provide my .02 when I see another CTD/Gander/RIA/Taurus/anything non Kimber, Colt, S&W, Springfield, Glock, etc bashing.

That's where I stood with them before I made my last purchase. They advertised the incorrect product and their customer service was actually pretty rude to me over the phone. I had to go back and forth with them through the BBB before a resolution was found. They did eventually make it right but I spent several days going back and forth over something that shouldn't have happened to begin with. I will hesitate before spending money with them again.

Top Bottom