• ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Who buys ammo at Gander anyhow?

Cheaper online, cheaper if you reload yourself...

Want to stand in line to pay higher prices for low or non-existant inventory ... go for it :).

beachhead40

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    North Of Indy
    I spoke to the GM and threw a fit about being told thurs night ammo was in a truck in the back... i got there at 8:55 Friday morning and was 62 in line... and they had 2 boxes of .22 I told him i was about to walk out and not shop there anymore and he got some one to go to the back and got me a box of .22 ..... so they do have it in the back and they are choosing who they sell it to. I understand you want to sell some one a gun with ammo to shoot but dont let the first 5 guys in line buy all of it arms list price hike it.... just saying

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    MikeDVB:
    Is it really cheaper to reload? I have been thinking about it, but there some investment in equipment and in time.
    Depending on what you buy you do have to get past the initial investment. That said, I've reloaded nearly $2,000 worth of ammo at factory-ammo pricing and I've only spent a few hundred.

When I go to the range I tend to shoot 300~500 rounds - which at factory ammo pricing builds up very fast.

$60 for 500 bullets, I re-use my brass cases, and then $30~35 for 1,000 primers. I paid I think ... $70 for 4 pounds of powder.

The biggest investment for me, honestly, is the time spent reloading but it's something I enjoy and not seen as a job or chore - I'd much rather be reloading than standing in a line waiting for some store to open early in the morning.

That said, if you go with a decent progressive you'll spend less time reloading than me by a long shot as I just use a manually indexed turret press.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Priced it out - it's about $0.17/round when I reload .45 ACP 230GN RN TMJ using my own brass.

Around $169 for 1,000 rounds. Substantially cheaper than you're likely to find it in any store or online but I do spend more time manufacturing it than you would spend buying factory ammo :).

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I remember maybe back in the mid 80s for whatever reason there was or was suspicion-ed to be a coffee shortage coming. I saw guys waiting in line at the IGAs and Krogers to clean out there coffee shelves. Next thing you knew there were guys running around with a trunk full of coffee peddling the stuff. If they had left the damn stuff on the shelf there would not have been a "shortage". There was plenty of it but most of it in some goof's trunk. There's enough ammo out there right now to supply everyone's needs, but some have to be trying to corner the market on the stuff. What will be fun is when those guys are sitting on a ton of it and try to sell ina then deflated market. Oh, the crying and gnashing of teeth !

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I drove by those fools at 7am going to walmart to get some 223 and 762 that they got it. Thats crazy getting there 2 hours beore the oors open. Im told that it is mostly the same people in line every Friday. Im sure some are for personal use while others are reselling.

Im curious to see if any of the gun dealers will eventually put back a couple of boxes oer gun so that they can atleast sell a couple of boxes of ammo. I have been looking at a pistol, but havent pulled the trigger on ot yet becusse I cant find ammo for it.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Funny how if things get really bad, how many of these people will show up to your doorstep when the SHTF, demanding your toliet paper or saved aside food supplies b/c you are "hoarding". Hoarding this or gouging that. It's human nature to buy low, sell high, or in cases of being late to the game, complain and whine, hoping that some greater power (God, Government, Luck, Karma, whatever) will bestow upon them the riches so that they can magically be endowed as the intelligent people who planned ahead.

This is the reason I have firearms... To keep my family safe from the communists... Some people make me sick with their constant whining and gnashing of teeth over "gougin" or whatnot. The first hilljack that comes banging on my door for food or toliet paper when Johnny Beijing lets go with the nukes will catch a round of 00 through the door...

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Priced it out - it's about $0.17/round when I reload .45 ACP 230GN RN TMJ using my own brass.

Around $169 for 1,000 rounds. Substantially cheaper than you're likely to find it in any store or online but I do spend more time manufacturing it than you would spend buying factory ammo :).

Mike: Thank you for both of your posts. Sounds like a real cost saver wanted you get going. That is very helpful information. I am going to start learning about the process.

This might be naïve of me to ask, do you feel your reloads are as good of quality and as safe as factory ammo?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    cmamath: If you do what the books say and not hot rod things or try to experiement with weird combinations, carefully measure everything and even match the load to your weapon (OAL, charge it likes, etc...), its not only safer than factory, but more accurate and versatile.

I can tell, you're going to be a good one! :)

Onrails

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I picked up a .22 takedown last week from Gander and they were kind enough to sell me a bulk pack of .22 for buying the rifle. This is right thing to do IMO.

If someone whines enough maybe they will get a box from the back but I really wouldn't stoop that low for a little ammo.

Last edited:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Handloaded ammunition is not just less expensive but measurably more accurate IF YOU ARE DOING IT RIGHT. It also give you the ability to tailor your ammunition to a specific use or firearm.

Onrails

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Wednesday was my first experience with reloads and I was impressed.
    100+ rounds and not a bad one in the bunch.
    I may look into doing this myself.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    These threads

Reading the threads about ammo hoarding and shortages, and who is responsible, is almost as much fun as shooting. I'm not gonna' add everything I saw on my last trip to GM except to say I'm sure the guy who asked me if I knew where he could get some .40 or .45 ammo was a gummint agent trying to take ammo off the market!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I havent bought a round or purchased a firearm in months. I refuse to get involved with the madness.

Since Dec 1st, I have bought two boxes of 357 Mag, 4 boxes of Federal .22LR in the 525 packs, 150 rds of SW 40, all the shotgun shells I need, a .22 LR rifle and a SW MP Shield in .40 - the guns were all used and I paid my price for the rest.

I will sell my 9mm handguns before I ever pay a buck a round for ammo for it. The 525 packs were presents and keeper ammo....have not been to the range since before Thanksgiving. It's a bummer.

I reload 9mm, 357 mag, SW 40, and 38 Special - the bullets, brass, and primers are getting more difficult to find in any kind of qty...and I hear the powder selections are starting to dwindle a bit.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Handloaded ammunition is not just less expensive but measurably more accurate IF YOU ARE DOING IT RIGHT. It also give you the ability to tailor your ammunition to a specific use or firearm.

But to do so you need to buy a hand loader & if I reloaded as much as I shot I would be at it constantly.
    So I buy in bulk at the cheapest price I can.
    It is amazing how much discount you can get by buying 10,000 rounds at a time.

Back to the Gander Mtn. subject, I was off from work today for a Dr.s appointment at 8:00 so by 9:00 I was out of the Dr.s office & Gander is on the same side of town. I thought I would run by and see what was new, not knowing they don't open until 10:00.:dunno:
    So I got something to eat & went back to Gander Mtn. to see the parking lot full this time @ 9:55.
    Everyone was still sitting in their vehicles but just as the first one got out & turned to walk towards the door everyone else jumped out then started running to the door.
    When the doors opened I just followed along in line not needing any ammo I thought it was a little funny when everyone got back to the guns section the guy with his arms up was there saying that the truck didn't come in & all they had was what was on the shelf.(the look on everyone faces was PRICELESS):eek:
    I looked on the shelf, all they had was 7.62x54r & two 50rd boxes of .22mag.
    All that waiting by all those people for nothing!:lmfao:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    But to do so you need to buy a hand loader & if I reloaded as much as I shot I would be at it constantly.
    So I buy in bulk at the cheapest price I can.
    It is amazing how much discount you can get by buying 10,000 rounds at a time.

Back to the Gander Mtn. subject, I was off from work today for a Dr.s appointment at 8:00 so by 9:00 I was out of the Dr.s office & Gander is on the same side of town. I thought I would run by and see what was new, not knowing they don't open until 10:00.:dunno:
    So I got something to eat & went back to Gander Mtn. to see the parking lot full this time @ 9:55.
    Everyone was still sitting in their vehicles but just as the first one got out & turned to walk towards the door everyone else jumped out then started running to the door.
    When the doors opened I just followed along in line not needing any ammo I thought it was a little funny when everyone got back to the guns section the guy with his arms up was there saying that the truck didn't come in & all they had was what was on the shelf.(the look on everyone faces was PRICELESS):eek:
    I looked on the shelf, all they had was 7.62x54r & two 50rd boxes of .22mag.
    All that waiting by all those people for nothing!:lmfao:
    Awesome, that's an hour or two those people will never get back, sorry resellers not today.

Top Bottom