• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstarbuck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I stopped by GM Greenwood yesterday and was told they were getting an ammo truck first thing this morning. I wasn't going to stand in line, but I stopped by later in the morning only to find that they only got rifle ammo in.

Then the guy told me handgun ammo was coming in Saturday morning. I'm still not standing in line for it, especially since I came across everything I needed (although in limited quantities) at a couple LGS today. Which means I got to go to the range with my first gun for the first time today. Yay!

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I spoke to the GM and threw a fit about being told thurs night ammo was in a truck in the back... i got there at 8:55 Friday morning and was 62 in line... and they had 2 boxes of .22 I told him i was about to walk out and not shop there anymore and he got some one to go to the back and got me a box of .22 ..... so they do have it in the back and they are choosing who they sell it to. I understand you want to sell some one a gun with ammo to shoot but dont let the first 5 guys in line buy all of it arms list price hike it.... just saying

It's a way to offset the AM rush hoarding. Enough Ammo is set aside to allow individuals who buy guns, of whatever caliber, have the option to purchase ammo in the event they don't have any. Nothing worse than owning a new gun in a new caliber and you can't hit the range. It's choosing to do it for the right reason. The whole reason is so the "first five guys in line" don't clean it out.

Edit: just re-read your post. Didn't read the last part of it. For .22 it's typically 2 small box or 1 bulk per new semi auto that shows up.

Last edited:

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    cmamath: If you do what the books say and not hot rod things or try to experiement with weird combinations, carefully measure everything and even match the load to your weapon (OAL, charge it likes, etc...), its not only safer than factory, but more accurate and versatile.

I can tell, you're going to be a good one! :)

Thank you for the feedback Disposable. I appreciate it. A summer project...

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I remember maybe back in the mid 80s for whatever reason there was or was suspicion-ed to be a coffee shortage coming. I saw guys waiting in line at the IGAs and Krogers to clean out there coffee shelves. Next thing you knew there were guys running around with a trunk full of coffee peddling the stuff. If they had left the damn stuff on the shelf there would not have been a "shortage". There was plenty of it but most of it in some goof's trunk. There's enough ammo out there right now to supply everyone's needs, but some have to be trying to corner the market on the stuff. What will be fun is when those guys are sitting on a ton of it and try to sell ina then deflated market. Oh, the crying and gnashing of teeth !

I just don't believe that's accurate. The NICS system saw record numbers of new guns bought and 5 million NEW firearms buyers.

The slowly rising demand that has been happening, combined with 5 million NEW shooters = not enough to supply everyone's needs.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    What will you do when it is gasoline or food thats rationed, you see those lines fro cash at ATM's in Cyprus.................no 2nd Amendment rights there huh? Can you see a bank run here? People taking cash out, Thugs in the lot taking their cut, today ammo, tomorrow? Many people are out to get a lil reserve in, some to hoard some to profit, I lucked out and found some .40 Federal(50 ct) at Fishers 96th st Wal-Mart thursday, got a box and a box of Tula 9mm. Had lunch and shopped at GFS with the wife and two hours later on way home took the wife this time with me, back to Fishers 96th St Wal-Mart, where I waited and watched as four customers ahead of me with a different sales person this time, got the rest of the Tula 9mm, and there were three boxes of Fed .40 (50 ct) on the shelf for our turn. We took two. So that was a good day for me, three boxes of Fed .40 and one of Tula 9mm in about three hours, HOWEVER, I had stopped by the Emmerson 465 Wal-Mart to find as usual empty shelves, and can count the other times the last month I stopped at varios Wal-Marts and Meijers to find bare shelves. THEREFORE, I was able to go to the range once this month and shoot 60 (I had hoarded ten rounds in my range bag) those sweet 180 gr's of goodness downrange at POPS. AHHHHH felt so good, and three boxes of Fed .40 in the trunk will let me find sweet relief possibly again till July. WHY do you shoot at least once a month and not store your hard found stash for when the fit hits the shan? Practice,practice,practice...............my Glock-23/27 combo (30 rds each) is my insurance policy, like my Avitar states..................I will stop when they take it from my COLD/DEAD/HAND(S).

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I just left gander mountain in greenwood. You would think it was Black Friday. People grabbing from both sides of the shelf to get some 5.56. Craziness I think but good for a laugh. What amazes me is that Gander's stuff isn't even that cheap.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    DITTO! I believe in the Theroum of the 6 P's... Pryor Proper Planning Prevents Prevents Poor Performance ...

Wait... that's 7 P's... :rolleyes:

richard-pryor__130328165357.jpg

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Mike: Thank you for both of your posts. Sounds like a real cost saver wanted you get going. That is very helpful information. I am going to start learning about the process.

This might be naïve of me to ask, do you feel your reloads are as good of quality and as safe as factory ammo?
    I much prefer shooting my reloads as they are more accurate as I've tuned the load for what shoots best in my gun.

I test my rounds through my XDm-45 4.5 before putting them through my more expensive 1911 to make sure it shoots in both well.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I much prefer shooting my reloads as they are more accurate as I've tuned the load for what shoots best in my gun.

I test my rounds through my XDm-45 4.5 before putting them through my more expensive 1911 to make sure it shoots in both well.

Thank you Mike. I am going to start looking into equipment and books.

By the way, are supplies as hard to find as ammo? For example, have you run into trouble find powder, primers, bullets, etc?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I haven't had issues - I just order it a couple months before I'll run out. You can find all of the components if you look around. It used to be you could get all of the parts in one place and save on shipping but not lately.

I'm waiting for the craze to die down to pick up a couple more turret heads and dies for 9mm and .223.

d012

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    This is just silly. The ammo is scarce, guns prices are going up, they don't need new laws!

ganderslander

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    They arent stockpiling anything, I went to their grand reopening at a few stores & noone has ammo & they arent hoarding it, its not being produced in high volumes anymore & you can thank your president for that. On a lighter side if your up for a drive I was down south (South carolina) 2 weeks ago & they have no problem with ammo in kentucky, SC, georgia & tennessee, you can get all you want just gotta drive to get it!

Ausra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    SW Indy
    I purchased a m&p40c at the greenwood gander mountain recently (within the last month) and the sales guy discreetly offered a few bulk boxes of ammo for it. He said they are keeping 70% off all the ammo they recieve, in the back room. That way they can offer it with a gun sale. He let me buy 1500 rounds of .40 along with my gun. Kicker was the gun was slightly over priced compared to other stores, but I got the ammo at pre-crazyness price. So it kind of evened out..

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    I stopped by 'Fins Fur & Feathers 'in Ohio, like a Gander Mountain ,they just have 3 stores,no ammo anywhere else hardly but this store had anything you wanted, ALL ammo[skids worth] Reloading supplies {I restored my bench} any gun all at normal prices. I was shocked ,why so differant there

Top Bottom