• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think you're being too easy on the guy.
    He was a working DETECTIVE and left a chain of clues a mile wide, video evidence and had an excuse worse than what my kids could have cooked up in middle school. All for what? I can't image the street value of a handgun is very high.

But that's the oddest part of the whole thing.

He said he kept it at home for a week before returning it.

He stole it but took it back? WTAF was he thinking?

Honestly, I don't think a theft charge is the appropriate one. Read "theft" and read "criminal conversion" in the IC code and the second applies here if he actually took it back. He didn't deprive anyone of it's value or use, but he did exert unauthorized control over it. I think you'd have to somehow convince a jury his original intent was to keep it but he got scared and took it back (which is a very viable theory, but unsure how you'd prove it.)

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    But that's the oddest part of the whole thing.

He stole it but took it back? WTAF was he thinking?

Honestly, I don't think a theft charge is the appropriate one. Read "theft" and read "criminal conversion" in the IC code and the second applies here if he actually took it back. He didn't deprive anyone of it's value or use, but he did exert unauthorized control over it. I think you'd have to somehow convince a jury his original intent was to keep it but he got scared and took it back (which is a very viable theory, but unsure how you'd prove it.)
    That is the confusing part to me also.

Maybe just guilty conscience, or maybe he thought they were on to him. :dunno:

Bizarre.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Read "theft" and read "criminal conversion" in the IC code and the second applies here if he actually took it back. He didn't deprive anyone of it's value or use, but he did exert unauthorized control over it. I think you'd have to somehow convince a jury his original intent was to keep it but he got scared and took it back (which is a very viable theory, but unsure how you'd prove it.)
    Not only took it back, but evidence in his electronic devices lends itself to his story.

That L6 Official Misconduct charge though...he won't need to worry about firearms for awhile.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You don't sell it, you keep it back for a drop gun.
    Well of course....

Better yet, trade it with some street punk who is a sometimes informant for another gun so that in case the "drop gun" is tied to a perp you busted and took it off of, there won't be a trail to you.

I mean....have these people never seen a single episode of "The Shield"?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not only took it back, but evidence in his electronic devices lends itself to his story.

That L6 Official Misconduct charge though...he won't need to worry about firearms for awhile.

If that's the case, wow. I guess it was some 'no harm no foul' thought process? I'll just "secretly borrow" this for a bit... But, yes, the Official Misconduct is going to be the bigger issue for him. It won't disqualify him at the state level from carrying/owning as it's not a violent felony but will at the federal.

Top Bottom