• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is it law that they be destroyed?
    Can they send it to the auction block, and gain some money from the sales?

I am not completely certain, but what I believe is current is:
    Federal agencies cannot. I am unsure if this is law or policy.
    State/local agencies can if they choose as far as the law is concerned, and will be guided by local policy.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Then why just take one? I mean, that's what I would first assume as well but apparently there's some electronic evidence that he actually did research the sights and replacements. It's so dumb. I'll repeat myself: I can't even.

When I first saw the headline, I assumed it must have been a broomhandle Mouser, or a Lugar, or something interesting. But he went through all of that for a GLOCK?

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I could even sort of understand that as a standard "nobody will miss it" theft...but he returned it unaltered and unfired supposedly. Unaltered would mean he didn't take the sights off and swap them. Just...look at them? I mean, did he look at them in different lighting conditions and against different color backgrounds? Did he research some part number? WITAF was his throught process, as I'm not just morbidly curious about his mindset. I am still stuck at: I can't even.

Why couldn't he just use his cellphone and take a series of pictures at various angles? It may have been frowned on, but nothing like stealing it.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Do you really think that this was the first gun he stole?

Another question is do we really believe that he stole it, and kept it for a week, and did absolutely nothing with it?

I'm not suggesting he did anything, but I would think that a great way to get rid of a crime gun would be to sneak it back into an evidence locker where it was expected to be.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Curious what affect this has if any on the gun being used as evidence.

I would guess that all defendants in that area will point out the lack of chain of evidence, with guns apparently free to go wander in the neighborhood for days at a time.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I had an FFL 92-95, and purchased a few gems at the MCSD Firearms Auctions downtown.
    “Uncle Jack” got outed for doing them by an undercover story on TV, and that was that.
    Oh the fun we had back then.
    The Trooper is in a world of hurt now, can you say, “Welcome to Wal Mart”?!?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sounds to me like he was thinking that nobody would care much about swapping sights before destruction and thought he could just 'borrow' it for a couple of days to do so. Bad idea.

It would be nice if a gun heading out for destruction could have any premium parts salvaged and made available to officers before its either crushed or cut into chunks. It's never right though to do so without written permission though.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    tenor.gif

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Sounds to me like he was thinking that nobody would care much about swapping sights before destruction and thought he could just 'borrow' it for a couple of days to do so. Bad idea.

It would be nice if a gun heading out for destruction could have any premium parts salvaged and made available to officers before its either crushed or cut into chunks. It's never right though to do so without written permission though.
    Couldn't he have asked for the sights off the pistol?
    Surely someone up the chain of command would have said sure its going to be destroyed so why not.
    Wait that's common sense and I imagine law enforcement is like the military when it comes to common sense.

Top Bottom