I've been searching....and I can't find anything that "beats" a glock 19 Compact

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    What do you mean that he "Pulled it down"? Did he completely strip it apart and go through it then?

You'll have to ask Charlie what he did to it. It shoots great now. I know some pins came out of it and were put back in.
    I was on the range sighting in a new Aimpoint and breaking in a 1911 while he was doing his thing.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    PPQ fails the width test. 1.3"

Sig massively fails the width test 1.4"

HK fails the width test. 1.32"

As I'm used to carrying a single stack gun I want something as close to that width as possible.

if your hand can tell the difference of 1.3 to 1.4 your a measuring god! because the inch equivalent is 19/64 of an inch vs 13/32 of an inch. buy the glock! because that's what you want, your just looking for approval!, but I will tell you this, I had to put an extended mag and slide release on my glock 19, and didn't have to put them on my sig 320 compact with the medium frame, so even tho the frame is "bigger" it fits better, and no "glock knuckle" on the sig frame

People spend years trying to beat the G19, and fail..

the sig 320....it's what the glock 19 wants to be!

I own a glock 19, and a sig 320, all I can say to anyone who's looking for a compact 9, is to look at the sig, the trigger is leaps and bounds better than the glock, and dealer price is within 1 dollar of each other, so the price on both is the same!, BUT to get the pistols on the same level, you have to spend more on the glock!, before I got my 320, I put the extended slide release, extended mag release, 3.5# connector, 3.5# spring kit, stainless steel pins(that I polished to a mirror shine) I polished the safety plunger, firing pin, trigger bar, all to a mirror shine!, and now the trigger on the glock feels the same as my 320,AND I can reach the mag release and slide release!.....so now the glock 19 costs 100.00 more than a sig 320!

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I guess the Walther P99c fails your requirements too at 1.3" width...

Dang, and it has a very short reset...

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Couldn't agree more. the G19 rules!
    It's the "does everything" gun.

the PPQ is close, very close
    Also the CZ75 PCR is close, but heavier than the G19
    Steyr S9 hasn't been mentioned, and it's also close

Glock sells more G19's than all others and for good reason :thumbsup:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Owned my G19 since 2001. Great CCW and no issues. Used, but not abused, estimate around 5000 rounds fired. Changed a recoil spring, not from failure, but from maintenance. Carries well in IWB, or OWB holsters.
    Also have a 1911A1, G21, and a S&W M10 4in. The G19 is still my favorite. G21 is cool too, and bigger frame for sure.

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    I may actually like the g26 better than the 19...

Check out the FNS 9c. I bought one a few weeks ago. I also have the G19 and G26. The FNS 9c has replaced the G26 as my CC pistol, and is pushing the 19 as my favorite pistol. Size-wise the FNS 9c is between the G19 and G26. It carries easier than the 19 and I shoot it better than the 26.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Glock 19 fan here. It is a compromise in almost every way, but hits the sweet spot in the middle of it all. I find it easy to conceal, accurate, and it just feels good. Mine has been 100% reliable and it also appears to set the standard for long-term durability. While just short of the highest capacity full size guns, it still packs lots of power with 15 rounds, with the ability to comfortably handle the Glock 17 mag. On top of all of that, its simplicity is probably its greatest strength.

I have the highest confidence it will function as expected, if needed.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Get the PPQ. I have shot the G19 a few times, and I can't think of anything it does better, outside of bore axis, and that is not nearly as big of a deal as some believe. The Walther gives you the best trigger available in a factory striker pistol, better ergos. Technology has progressed in the last 30 years or so since Glock came on the scene. Take advantage of that. The P320 and VP9 are both fine pistols as well. The HK might be a bit nicer, but I like the modularity of the Sig.

Edit: this is my preference. But a lot of people that look around into the broader market do agree. In the end you have to use what works for you. Don't buy the name, nor should you go with the latest and greatest just because. It has to be the best for you.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Glock 19 is a great gun, as is the 26. I personally like the combo. They fit the same holsters, can use the same mags, and so cost of owning both is somewhat reduced from owning completely disparate platforms. Your training carries over to both guns as well. Owning both a 19 and a 26 is money/time well spent in my opinion.

My favorite carry gun so far has been my 26, but now that I have a pair of 43's that might change.

I don't think you would go wrong with either one. Both the 19 & 26 can be easily concealed and carried comfortably. The 26 would get a slight nod on concealed carry based on my experience and depending on your preferred style of carry, and it really gives up very little, since your reload would be either a 19 or 17 mag.

As someone else stated, the S&W M&P line is also a great series of guns as well. Not quite as simple, but very nice. I could just not make the leap to the different trigger and in the end, decided to stay with the Glock platform which I had the most invested in.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I had been pocket carrying a j-frame this spring and a Glock 42 for most of the summer.

I just pulled the 19 out of the safe earlier this month and got it back on my hip. Man did it feel good. Like welcoming back an old friend.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    57810264.jpg

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    Call different indoor shooting ranges and ask if they have one or both guns for rent. Then put 50 (+ or -) thru each gun. Compare the two based on YOUR needs and wants. As you shoot, write down the pluses and misses for each gun.

You might have two go to different ranges to test each gun. Both guns may not be available at the same range.

$50.00 dollars in testing may save you hundreds in a poor choice of a gun.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Call different indoor shooting ranges and ask if they have one or both guns for rent. Then put 50 (+ or -) thru each gun. Compare the two based on YOUR needs and wants. As you shoot, write down the pluses and misses for each gun.

You might have two go to different ranges to test each gun. Both guns may not be available at the same range.

$50.00 dollars in testing may save you hundreds in a poor choice of a gun.

Been renting them at a range for free as I picked up a groupon membership. I've shot them both. Going to do so again today. For some reason I feel like I can acquire the target and reacquire better with the glock 26...Doesn't make much sense but it seems that way...that's why I'm going to try again later today.

My only other concern is conceal ability. I'm not a big dude so I'm not sure about severe printing with fitted clothing as I take the gun into places where "guns aren't allowed (policy not legally)"

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Been renting them at a range for free as I picked up a groupon membership. I've shot them both. Going to do so again today. For some reason I feel like I can acquire the target and reacquire better with the glock 26...Doesn't make much sense but it seems that way...that's why I'm going to try again later today.

My only other concern is conceal ability. I'm not a big dude so I'm not sure about severe printing with fitted clothing as I take the gun into places where "guns aren't allowed (policy not legally)"

You can always get a 19 and cut the grip to 26 length. Best of both worlds.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

I'm the same way with my Glock 26. The reason is because my pinky hangs off the grip. Hickok45 is the same way. Can shoot the G26 better than a larger gun.

Top Bottom