James Yeager - Active Shooter II - Get in the FIGHT!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That depends.

If all you had was a 1911, might as well just surrender. 'Cause you ain't got a chance. ;)

They are heavy, you could kill someone with one if you hit them on the head hard enough. :dunno:

All kidding aside I think it's a great point that in many cases people where able to stop the shooter unarmed.
    If you decide to obey the law and not carry a gun in school ground you would still have options.Including a few lethal options like knives and other non-firearm weapons.

Even without any weapon.What if a school shooting situation the killer gets to a class with a locked door, he knows there are kids inside, he starts to kick on the door and he heards "Dont come in I have a gun!" shouted by the teacher. :dunno:
    I think the killer would easier run away or shoot himself.
    Just like when they hear they that police is in the building, they give up before they actually see any gun.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What if a school shooting situation the killer gets to a class with a locked door, he knows there are kids inside, he starts to kick on the door and he heards "Dont come in I have a gun!" shouted by the teacher. :dunno:
    I think the killer would easier run away or shoot himself.

I don't even think he would bother with kicking the door. I would guess that he would keep on moving looking for easier targets.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I don't even think he would bother with kicking the door. I would guess that he would keep on moving looking for easier targets.

Dont they teach stuff like that in school, for the teachers I mean. :dunno:

If you have enough time and you hear gunshots in the school, you dont have any way to exit the building, then just lock the door, put desks in front of it and stay quiet.

I wonder if anyone ever survived that way during a school shooting.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    IMO, the active shooter is going to move fast. He knows he only has so much time before the police arrive.

He isn't going to waste time opening doors searching for people. He's going to shoot at the first people he sees.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Dont they teach stuff like that in school, for the teachers I mean. :dunno:

I've seen such things suggested but I haven't heard if any schools actually implement such training. lovemachine said his wife's school doesn't.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've seen such things suggested but I haven't heard if any schools actually implement such training. lovemachine said his wife's school doesn't.

Even if they did the "training" would probably be a note telling them to do that in case of a shooting, and not actually doing it during a drill with kids, actors and cops.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Even if they did the "training" would probably be a note telling them to do that in case of a shooting, and not actually doing it during a drill with kids, actors and cops.

Why not? Kindergarteners go thru fire and tornado drills, and most don't understand why.

Why not have them go thru an active shooter drill?

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    The community college I teach at has "Intruder in the building" drills twice a year. The procedure is to lock the classroom door, turn out the lights (no windows in our classrooms) and be quiet. The idea is to look like an empty room. Students in hallways or other common areas are instructed to go to the nearest classroom or nearest "safe" area. Students in these areas are responsible for their own safety. We have a security guard in our building, he is unarmed. The school takes this threat very seriously, a student was expelled for commenting that he "would do like the guy in Arizona". He was referring to the shooter that shot the woman representative in Arizona, among others. Guns are not allowed anywhere on campus, unfortunately.

Exo594

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Ditto. I rarely experienced lockdown drills in school, and the school I'm at right now has nothing in place. Colorado School of Mines (my top choice for colleges) has several people that CC, and they're watched all the time. I would feel somewhat safe there, knowing that there are responsible owners on campus.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    If you carry a firearm you have a moral obligation to defend those who are in need. If you run from a fight where innocents are slaughtered, how could you live with yourself afterwards?

Some might argue that you'll only confuse or worsen the situation. Some may say you run the risk of police thinking you're one of the bad guys. That all may be true, but again, how could you sleep at night knowing you had the means to save lives but didn't act?

I would be haunted by my own cowardice if I didn't do something.

I pray I never find myself in that situation but I also pray that if I do I have the intestinal fortitude to step up and do anything I can to defend others.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    If a man is shooting kids, there is no doubt in my mind that I would go in there to stop him. If my buddies, who are cops are with me and they go in, they expect me to back them up because I carry a gun. I'd rather face the consequences of breaking the law to go in and save lives because it doesn't matter at that point.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    We do lock down drills on our campus and it's still a joke. There are so many people on campus. In the library, on break, coming, leaving, etc. It's our job to protect ourselves, then "they" tell us, the enlightened elite, that we can not have guns on campus property. Yet, they do not have the means to fully protect us against an active shooter. It's like saying, it's up to you to protect yourself, but, you can't, and we will not.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Here is an interesting video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2tIeRUbRHw[/ame]

Not the best plan in the world, but at least it emphasizes fighting back and having a plan. Having some sort of coordinated effort to take these people down is better than being slaughtered.

Last edited:

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    He makes some great points.The only problem I have with what he's saying is that he keeps talking about "having a pair of balls" to do anything.
    Im sure there are many brave women (both cops and civilians) who would do anything to protect the kids in those situation.
    You dont need to literally have "a pair" to act as a brave hero.

I am a firm believer a lot of women have "Balls". It's just we men will never hear them "clank". Later, Bob

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I'm really beginning to wonder about his judgement. Never once mentioned training or being prepared to make necesary shots. Only "men" "balls" and blindly running into gunfire. :rolleyes:

I hope he keeps it together long enough for you guys to get your class in...

Sorry but look at the FACTS. Just doing something is better than nothing and 90% of these murderers were stopped by untrained people or by people unprepared for the situation besides a good set.

And I can't believe I'm doing this but I really liked one line from this video so I'm quoting Yeager in my sig line.

Top Bottom