Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I fall into 2 "types"
    1. The collector
    2. The Hobbyist
    Or somewhere in between, I do shoot my guns, but I also care about their appearance and condition. I don't run them hard, or put them through their paces, even though I buy guns that "can take it".

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    If I were in a gunfight with Yeager I would undoubtedly lose. I would be so transfixed on his facial hair and and scary shirts that I would be frozen in perplexed amazement while he took me out with a triple overhand spinning back kick with a twist.

Even if I could overcome all of this, my sucky 1911 would probably malfunction anyway.

If I wanted to be talked to like I was a small child with a learning disability I would have voted for Al Gore.

Please keep posting these videos. He tickles me, and sometimes he even makes sense.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I'm a competitor. Not exactly a good one, but I'm a competitor. I tend to think that shooting 2-300 rounds a week makes one "used to" watching the front sight go back and forth. I have never taken a class, but I would love to take one someday.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Don't know how he would classify me, guess I don't really care. I collect guns, use guns at the target range and shoot at friends property. I have some I am careful with due to their age and condition - I take care of all my guns -as I do my tools. All are cleaned and oiled. I do not believe I need training nor would I ever pay anyone to "train" me. I have been shooting since about 1955, hunted small game for several years. Target shot for many more, am very well acquainted with the use and ability of all my weapons, and will certainly use them if required to defend my or others lives. I carry probably 95 percent of the time when I am out of my home where it is legal to do so. I really enjoy tuning my newer guns and all work well. Obviously I enjoy talking to like minded individuals (as do all on this board or they wouldn't be here) about my (and their guns). I'm sure there are many who feel similar to me about this topic. I always feel these type of Videos are made to entice people to pay for training so they can be one of the "Tactical" or "Competitor" people.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    The only time I put my gun down is to wipe. I do collect HK's but my favorite has over 10k rounds that i have personally fired. Looks like hell and runs like a champ. But in the end all i would probably get from a fire fight was a toe tag. Wonder what he calls that.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I waited until this morning to watch because of ESRICEs language warning. Language is cleaned up a lot from his earlier videos. Thumbs up to Mr.Yeager.

Not sure where I fit in. Somewhere between hobbyist and martial artist. I want to compete but that is only so I can practice. I am still learning. I try to always carry my gun but not always feasible. I do enjoy shooting, seeing, talking about different guns. I consider shooting to be a hobby but I have no desire to accumulate a lot of guns. I do keep guns as examples to show people in NRA classes.

He left out a few categories.

The hunter - that is why they own the gun. For "sporting purposes" or the occasional sporting clays trip. They may not be serious shooters but consider themselves sportsman.

The counter- shear numbers. They are obsessed with owning 50 guns. Never mind half of them are junk. They need never get shot. Kind of a cross between collector and talisman. I see a lot of these guys at work.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Usually, I avoid the threads with Yeager in the title, but this one was not bad. Personally, I feel that I would fall under the "hobbyist" category. I don't own guns just to ward of spirits, although it has helped. :): I don't collect guns, except ones I plan to shoot. I have one right now that I carry everywhere I can, and another that I am building. I have considered competition, but right now it's not feasible. I don't carry in a leather holster and I don't mind getting my gun scratched. I'm sure once I decide to by a nice gun like a 1911 or a new P229 or P226, I'll mind, but until then I don't. And I definitely don't feel I am a "martial artist." I can handle my own out there, hopefully, but I'm not "one with the gun."

So, Evan, which are you?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If I were in a gunfight with Yeager I would undoubtedly lose. I would be so transfixed on his facial hair and and scary shirts that I would be frozen in perplexed amazement while he took me out with a triple overhand spinning back kick with a twist.

Even if I could overcome all of this, my sucky 1911 would probably malfunction anyway.

If I wanted to be talked to like I was a small child with a learning disability I would have voted for Al Gore.

Please keep posting these videos. He tickles me, and sometimes he even makes sense.

This is the reason I click on these threads - for the comments! :D

Maybe someday I'll watch one the the videos...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I don't think the Competitor and Martial Artist categories, as defined by Yeager, are mutually exclusive/distinct sets, but rather have significant overlap.

Some kinds of competition/action shooting disciplines were specifically based on combat pistol techniques, or were designed to simulate combat training. Examples:

• PPC was developed to be suitable for Police training (here in Indiana, btw [1], or maybe by the FBI - still sorting that one out).
    • IPSC (USPSA) - was developed with similar goals, evolving from experimentation with handguns used for self-defense. Jeff Cooper was even the first president of the IPSC.

It is no accident that there's a "P" in each acronymn that stands for "practical." The goal was to take practical gunfighting principles and incorporate them into a sport to both encourage training/practice and induce an element of stress through competition. While there is debate over to what degree such sports are "practical," there is a practical element involved.

While some people approach such competition ONLY as a sport/game (and derive less "practical" benefit), there's much to be learned/gained through such competition that can feed directly into the tool set of the "martial artist" if approached from that perspective.

It all depends on how one approaches it.

[1] - History

Last edited:

leakywaders

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    highland ind
    I guess my catagory would be wimp I buy guns I shoot guns and I clean them and I could shoot someone if they are a threat to me and my family.but Im not gung ho like Mr Yeager its not in my nature. Im glad there are people like that to serve in the military but it just seems hes looking for it in civilan life.

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    I understand and even appreciate the concept of the dichotomies he has presented, but just like everything that is associated with human nature, I think there is a lot of gray area.

For instance, can't a martial artist also collect guns? They have their "fighting" guns that they will bang, scratch and use but also have "safe queens" that have some sort of meaning for them.

OR

What about someone who OCs (and NO I AM NOT STARTING A CC vs. OC DEBATE)? Some of the reasons OCers give for OC is the deterrent factor. Couldn't that be construed as "Talisman" mentality? (Yes, I know another reason is ease of access which could fall under the "Martial Artist" category, but I'm referring to just the aspect of deterrence)

I just think that compartmentalizing such a varied set of attributes can lead to misunderstandings.

Again, I do see the rationale and merit in the vid and actually agree for the most part but setting definitive lines in the sand carries no real meaning.

P.S. If I had to categorize myself based on his list I would say I am a Hobbyist aspiring to be a Martial Artist.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Under that list I would fall as a part time competitor and martial artist wannabe.

Took 10 seconds into the video before the first shoulder twitch, eight seconds of which was the intro.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Under that list I would be a....oh wait...I don't really care what category someone tries to shove me in. I enjoy guns and since I decided to start carrying one, I thought it would be a good idea to really learn how to use it. That's my "category."

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Very close relation to the Internet Commando. Only difference is that they have to get dressed. The Internet Commando need not own any guns at all or even wear pants.

PAGING PRINTCRAFT. PLEASE PICK UP THE COURTESY PHONE.

Top Bottom