Jeffersonville successfully bans weapons in city for 1 day.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Such a foolish thing to say. Thunder is such a massive event they can't possibly hope to keep people out if they are CC. Never mind coolers, bags, belts, chairs, clothing, and countless other items can be used as weapons if need be.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    This will be my first year not attending Thunder. With all the mob violence on the waterfront, and the terrorism threat, I feel the need to carry. Seeing that I can't do that now, I will stay home and not spend my money on local businesses on that waterfront. They are just hurting themselves. Anyone know of a contact I can email to inform them of why I will not attend? We should have as many people write as possible.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Can't wait to hear the news reports about all the shootings connected to this event perpetrated by inner city youths, and then all the subsequent liberals somehow trying to blame it on the rich, or white people, or men, or gun owners, or whatever group they are focusing their hatred on at that moment.

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    They leave weapons off the website FAQ
    What can’t I bring to Thunder Over Louisville?For safety reasons the following are not permitted in the event area, which goes south from the Ohio River to Main Street between Clay Street and 10th Street and includes the Thunder Chow Wagon and North Great Lawn viewing area:

• No Tents or canopies of any kind
    • No Stakes
    • No Tape, rope or pennant lines allowed
    • No glass bottles are allowed at the event site.
    • Picnic blankets (and tarps limited to 10′ x 10′) and lawn chairs are permitted.
    • Plastic bottles and food are permitted. There is also plenty of food and soft drink stands to take care of any needs you may have. Beer is available at the Chow Wagon at Waterfront Park, North Great Lawn, the West Belvedere Beer Garden and River Road Beer Garden.
    • No alcoholic beverages are allowed.
    • No bikes, skateboards or skates are allowed in the event venue. You will be asked to walk them in for pedestrian safety.
    • Please leave any pets at home.
    • Due to increased security – all persons and parcels are subject to search.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but they could ban knives. Guns? Not so much.

All persons and parcels subject to search? Without RAS?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    This will be my first year not attending Thunder. With all the mob violence on the waterfront, and the terrorism threat, I feel the need to carry. Seeing that I can't do that now, I will stay home and not spend my money on local businesses on that waterfront. They are just hurting themselves. Anyone know of a contact I can email to inform them of why I will not attend? We should have as many people write as possible.

Why can you not attend? Their rule is illegal and unenforceable with serious monetary consequences for them if they are stupid enough to try. If it were me and I planned to attend anyway, I would be more likely to open carry and force their hand. I would love to have the city of Jeffersonville pay for my kids to go to a nice university.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Jeffersonville's population is a bit over 32,000 and they have a Major? What's his name, "Major Pain"? :rofl:

Jeffersonville wants law-abiding gun-toters to 'leave their legal firearms at home' at an event of roughly 100,000 (their number) people in an area known for it's violence and gang problems? :scratch:

Uh, sure. :laugh:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    All persons and parcels are subject to search? Sounds like it goes beyond just a violation of a state law here...

Ive never heard of this festival, and after reading the things that they are trying to push on the subjects of Jeffersonville, I doubt I will be making the trip down to partake.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Why can you not attend? Their rule is illegal and unenforceable with serious monetary consequences for them if they are stupid enough to try. If it were me and I planned to attend anyway, I would be more likely to open carry and force their hand. I would love to have the city of Jeffersonville pay for my kids to go to a nice university.

You make a great point. I am excited that the military planes are making a return this year, but I do not plan on attending still. Last year the crowd was just too rowdy and too many people for me to deal with. I have a good friend who lives up in the hills that overlooks the city, so we will all sit out and watch it in private this year. No Traffic! Hooray!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I will be OCing as usual, I can see the whole thing from my back yard. And fortunately, my area is out of the way enough that we don't get the traffic or riff raff other areas get on thunder day. I love thunder, it brings all our neighbors out in their yards, and is a good excuse to have a few friends over and drink some beer. I wouldn't even consider attending if I didn't live on the river, of course, but that's beside the point......which was......Jeffersonville sucks, and I try to avoid ever going there.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    So who else is in for an INGO open carry event in Jeffersonville that day? LOL

Djangotarantino

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Jeffersonville
    From the city website.

"As in the past, the City of Jeffersonville prohibits certain items and activities on city property, including city streets, parking lots and the riverbank. These are regulated by City Ordinance 2009-OR-20 and 2010-OR-1, specifically relating to Thunder Over Louisville, as well as all applicable city, state and federal laws. Prohibited items include alcoholic beverages, weapons, pets, open flames, tents, portable buildings, tarps, skateboards, bicycles, motorized scooters, and golf carts, except those used by police, EMS, city officials, or Kentucky Derby Festival personnel."

City of Jeffersonville, IN

Is this ordinance constitutional?

Top Bottom