Jeffersonville successfully bans weapons in city for 1 day.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Djangotarantino

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Jeffersonville
    City of Jeffersonville, IN

As in the past, the City of Jeffersonville prohibits certain items and activities on city property, including city streets, parking lots and the riverbank. These are regulated by City Ordinance 2009-OR-20 and 2010-OR-1, specifically relating to Thunder Over Louisville, as well as all applicable city, state and federal laws. Prohibited items include alcoholic beverages, weapons, pets, open flames, tents, portable buildings, tarps, skateboards, bicycles, motorized scooters, and golf carts, except those used by police, EMS, city officials, or Kentucky Derby Festival personnel.

Constitutional?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    IANAL, but I don't see any reason why thy can't ban any of those things, except, of course, for firearms which are covered by the state preemption laws.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    From the city website.

"As in the past, the City of Jeffersonville prohibits certain items and activities on city property, including city streets, parking lots and the riverbank. These are regulated by City Ordinance 2009-OR-20 and 2010-OR-1, specifically relating to Thunder Over Louisville, as well as all applicable city, state and federal laws. Prohibited items include alcoholic beverages, weapons, pets, open flames, tents, portable buildings, tarps, skateboards, bicycles, motorized scooters, and golf carts, except those used by police, EMS, city officials, or Kentucky Derby Festival personnel."

City of Jeffersonville, IN

Is this ordinance constitutional?

Before you get to Constitutional, if that's what it says, it's illegal under Indiana law as regards firearms.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Wondering if someone copied from KY rules without doing their homework...

:dunno:
    It's Jeffersonville, they always think they are better than every other community in the state. Look at the Big 4 bridge to see just how bright the morons in control of that city are. There's a reason downtown Jeff rolls up the sidewalks at 6:00 PM (everybody goes to Clarksville for whatever it is they want)

I wish them luck, though, I hope they bust somebody for legally carrying there, that would be just what Jeff needs. :):

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    nothing in state law prohibits the enactment of local regulations, so they can do whatever they want as far as passing ordnances. They are free to post all the signs they want. Read SEA. 292

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Check IC 35-47-11.1

Exactly..

IC 35-47-11.1-2
    Political subdivision regulation of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories prohibited
    Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate:
    (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Pretty sure he is making the ironic point that the city is free to enact or post anything they want; and you are free to ignore them.

It is called concealed carry for a reason... if the little thugs get out of control, the last thing I am going to worry about is violating some idiot's law of the day. Got a friend with a place down there on the river with a great view of everything. My wife and kids are going to be there. I will be dammed if I am going to be unable to protect them should some feral youth get out of control again.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    It is called concealed carry for a reason... if the little thugs get out of control, the last thing I am going to worry about is violating some idiot's law of the day. Got a friend with a place down there on the river with a great view of everything. My wife and kids are going to be there. I will be dammed if I am going to be unable to protect them should some feral youth get out of control again.

To some people it is called Open Carry for a reason

Djangotarantino

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Jeffersonville
    Called Jeff. Police department. I was told that the ban is pretty much all of downtown and that if caught carrying (any carry) , according to the ordinance, I could be fined up to $2,500. I asked what the event area was. They gave me the exact cross streets, and it's pretty much all of downtown j-ville. This can't be a legal ordinance.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I bet local authorities enact these bans knowing full well they are illegal, but also knowing that a large portion of the population won't know that. They'll successfully disarm a significant amount of people who are ignorant to state law.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Pretty sure he is making the ironic point that the city is free to enact or post anything they want; and you are free to ignore them.

this....

Jeffersonville is free to pass all the ordnances they wish related to the regulation of firearms. They are simply void, NOT illegal. That is a big distinction. They can post all the "no guns on city property" signs they want. I believe the courts have already stated as such. (to that point I am willing to stand corrected).

Preemption prohibits enforcement.

Top Bottom