• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    There's nothing more fun than a .45ACP revolver with moon clips and you shouldn't have much trouble finding a nice one in your price range. I'm up to eight of them now,.......two S&W 1917's, two S&W 25-2's, and four converted Webleys. The Webleys are the most fun(running reduced loads), but the 25-2's are probably the most practical.But for pure fun there's not much reason for anything above .38 Special and here's where the deals are. I know you set $800 as the upper limit but you can have a lot of shooting fun for much less in .38. Frankly, you probably ought to just jump on the above listed deal for the Model 15. That $800 would get the gun and a thousand rounds(or even better,.....the gun and reloading gear to keep you shooting forever). I'm addicted to the surplus M64 Smiths,.......same basic gun in stainless with fixed sights(and by my preference, DAO). I've gotten these all off of GB at $250 each, police trades with the rubber grips. Nice thing about the stainless is that it's easy and cheap to clean up the finish and make them look like new(these haven't been hit yet).
    20151116_160602%20Medium_zpsebzeyxdg.jpg

I also like looking for wood to upgrade the rubber grips.
    20151116_160347%20Medium_zpswxptyo4n.jpg

Did I mention that I was addicted to the things?

Last edited:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The GP-100 upgrades trigger and front sights very easily upgraded. Best thing to do is side by side comparison. Older smiths don't run full power 357's for long with out getting out of time. Md 15 or md 19 but not the 686.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Best most accurate revolver I ever owned and fired is the CzechPoint USA Alfa Project Revolver 6" .357. At 10yards, same hole all 6 rounds. Better than any Smith I ever owned. They are out of 6" but have two different 3". You will not be disappointed. They also have a 4" 22lr, 9 shot for $292 plus $15 shipping. I have not shot one of the 22's, but if they are anything like the .357 its a way better deal than the S&W. And Smith's are excellent firearms, usually.

Who has these

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I recently purchased just such a revolver.
    I didn't need another revolver, but who could not always use one?
    I saw Ruger had their "2 Million Gun Challenge' in effect and I wanted to help.
    I had been wanting another .327 Federal magnum, and Ruger just re-introduced the SP101 in .327 with a 4.2" barrel. That makes it legal to hunt deer with in Indiana. I have better choices, but that possibility is there.

I bought it as a "fun gun" and it has more than met my expectations.
    It will safely shoot .327mag, .32H&R mag, .32S&W Long, .32S&W (short).
    I just started reloading and the ammunition is cheap if you "roll your own".
    Only a couple of weeks ago the postal person brought me 500 brand spanking shiny new Starline cases. I have a few pounds of powder, a couple thousand primers, and a friend locally who is casting projectiles for me. I bought him a set of Lee molds for .32cal.

.32S&W rounds are like bunny farts. Great for beginners and kids. .32H&R mag will get a little attention, but the full blown .327 magnum rounds are indeed impressive.

I got a great deal on it as well. My friendly neighborhood fun-shop owner felt like he owed me a favor.
    I gave about $565 out the door, with a Davison's Lifetime warranty to boot!

Life is good, and I have a new, SUPER fun little revolver to play with.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    There's nothing more fun than a .45ACP revolver with moon clips and you shouldn't have much trouble finding a nice one in your price range. I'm up to eight of them now,.......two S&W 1917's, two S&W 25-2's, and four converted Webleys. The Webleys are the most fun(running reduced loads), but the 25-2's are probably the most practical.But for pure fun there's not much reason for anything above .38 Special and here's where the deals are. I know you set $800 as the upper limit but you can have a lot of shooting fun for much less in .38. Frankly, you probably ought to just jump on the above listed deal for the Model 15. That $800 would get the gun and a thousand rounds(or even better,.....the gun and reloading gear to keep you shooting forever). I'm addicted to the surplus M64 Smiths,.......same basic gun in stainless with fixed sights(and by my preference, DAO). I've gotten these all off of GB at $250 each, police trades with the rubber grips. Nice thing about the stainless is that it's easy and cheap to clean up the finish and make them look like new(these haven't been hit yet).
    20151116_160602%20Medium_zpsebzeyxdg.jpg

I also like looking for wood to upgrade the rubber grips.
    20151116_160347%20Medium_zpswxptyo4n.jpg

Did I mention that I was addicted to the things?
    What a collection! psyko

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Boy...if I had my choice...I'm a Ruger GP100 fan...but I'd either go with a 5" GP100 (Davidson's Special) or a Smith & Wesson 686+ 7-shot .357 magnum...both are great all-purpose revolvers!

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    What caliber(s) do you currently have on hand? 9mm, 45acp, etc you can get a revolver to shoot the same caliber as a semi auto you just have to use moon clips to hold the rounds. If you have any other 357/38, 44 mag, 45lc/454, 22lr, etc guns then sticking with the same caliber can make it easier to worry about what ammo you have on hand.

Barring any caliber preference, add me to the list of 357mag fans. Although I'm going to recommend a different gun that anybody else so far and say a Dan Wesson. Well known for their accuracy, durability, and they have incredible triggers in both double and single action! Used and in decent condition you should be able to find one under your price range (probably $400 to $700 for a 357mag depending on condition). And the cool thing about DWs is you can change the barrel yourself. Take the nut off the muzzle, take the shroud off, unscrew the barrel, and re-install desired length of barrel and shroud. Takes maybe 2-3 minutes or less to do. And with 357 you can shoot anything from full power 357s to 38 special +Ps, or standard pressure 38 specials which have almost no recoil in a full size gun. Good range of power from different rounds and being able to swap from a 2.5" to 8" 10" or longer barrel sounds to me like its one of the best overall revolvers around. Brand new CZ produced DWs are going to be just over your budget (1,000-1,100 range I believe) but I've seen plenty of used ones for sale on gunbroker etc for $500-$650 range. I just recently purchased a Dan Wesson 15-2 pistol pack and I'm in love with it in case you can't tell :rockwoot:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    My choice for a fun revolver. Shoot long colt in it for fun and if you want more fun, or pretty much kill anything on the planet, load up with 454.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock Armorer-M&P Armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Ruger Police Service Six (around $450)
    a032.jpg

or get it in blued:
    q004.jpg

Attachments

• a032.jpg
      a032.jpg
      85.3 KB · Views: 1

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Shop around and find a S&W 686 SSR --- you'll either love it or hate it.
    I think it comes in under $800, probably closer to $700

Or some of the 8-shot smiths

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I have a Model 19 in fantastic shape I got for $500. Great shooter

Me too! I got 6 speed loaders in the deal, did you get 6 speed loaders too? Did you spend $27 for Hogue grips because the original service grips were ok for .38 special but were REALLY unpleasant for .357? Just wondering. The Model 19 is an awesome handgun.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Just about any S&W used K frame in .38 Spl will perfectly fit your requirements. Nice mild recoil and well made revolvers (usually). All day shooting and quite fun. If you're a recoil junk then find something in a bigger chambering.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    My choice for a fun revolver. Shoot long colt in it for fun and if you want more fun, or pretty much kill anything on the planet, load up with 454.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock Armorer-M&P Armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

This gets my vote. Even though I shoot both my Ruger Match Champion and S&W 66 far more often (cost) this is a fun gun and with the calibers 454 or 45 colt it's twice the fun. Get this if you want to see the full potential of a revolver.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Either the Ruger vaquero .357 mag

or the Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .357mag/.38 spl and can also switch out the cylinder to 9mm

these two just happen to be my most recent "jonesing for" guns!

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Either the Ruger vaquero .357 mag

or the Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .357mag/.38 spl and can also switch out the cylinder to 9mm

these two just happen to be my most recent "jonesing for" guns!

Single actions can be fun. They tend to get tedious after a while (loading). I have a convertible in .22lr / .22WMR which is the bee's knees. But I hear the convertible for 9mm is inherently inaccurate.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Revolvers make you fat.

You do not have all those toe touching exercises when you are bending over picking up brass. You also end up with a lot of extra time that used to be spent collecting spent brass and then taking it home and sorting other peoples brass from yours.

I step on the scale before going to the range, if my weight is creaping up, I take the semi autos. It is important to have self discipline.

Top Bottom