• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Why can't they do what they do in the Middle East? Build de-salivation plant and make all the water they want from the ocean?

Because its inefficient, insanely expensive, and they dont have virtually unlimited amounts of cash being pumped from underground (oil) to pay for it.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    My brothers live in Southern CA. They said if you water the lawn, it's a violation.. So most of Southern CA yards are either turning brown or no grass on. No more swimming pool build in order. If you used too much water, be prepared to have a fat wallet.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Looks like the rest of the country is having a great year.
    Too Much Corn With Nowhere to Go as U.S. Sees Record Crop - Bloomberg
    From Ohio to Nebraska, thousands of field inspections this week during the Pro Farmer Midwest Crop Tour show corn output in the U.S., the world’s top producer, will be 0.4 percent above the government’s estimate. Months of timely rains and mild weather created ideal growing conditions, leaving ears with more kernels than normal on 10-foot (3-meter) corn stalks and more seed pods on dark, green soy plants.

In Illinois, the No. 2 corn-growing state, Pro Farmer estimated yields at 198 bushels an acre, more than the 188 bushels the USDA predicted earlier this month, while soybeans were estimated at 54 bushels an acre, the same as the government forecast. In Iowa, the top grower, Pro Farmer pegged corn yields at 183 bushels, less than the USDA’s estimate of 185, and said soybean yields will be 49.5 bushels an acre and may reach the USDA’s forecast of 50 bushels.
    The outlook has improved after months of ideal weather.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    That's good news for the places not stricken by drought. And for the people who buy field corn and soybeans. Unfortunately, the rest of us live off of a variety of foods that DO come from the drought stricken areas. I like avocados and an occasional salad.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    DpahsBW.gif

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

I do understand what that map is supposed to show.I also understand where the base line for that data comes from.Climate Tables | Western Regional Climate Center from Western Regional Climate Center according to United States Drought Monitor > Supplemental Info > Historical Weather Data

Why do I mention this?The data shows a California wide average of 22 inches of rain per year for the last century.California .gov reports since October 2013 29.07 inches of have fallen over California(*source California Data Exchange Center ).

WRCC is headed by Dr.Timothy Brown,who also heads DRI Desert Research Institute - Tim Brown which is the for profit PHD mill of climate science and one of the very first places in the world to use the term Anthropomorphic global warming."Since 2000, DRI has attracted $391 million in external research."Enough said about WRCC and DRI I hope.

My point being by California state data they are having a close to average year with some places wetter and others drier than normal but over all the state is actually at 29 inches of precipitation vs the 100 year average of around 22 inches(links provided above).So I look at that map with great suspicion.

California for sure has a water problem without a doubt.When you have 38 million people living in a desert water is going to be an issue,and when you try to farm that same desert it will become an even larger issue.Are some places below average rainfall...possibly,but as a whole the state of California is actually 7 inches above average normal rainfall.

I will add WRCC raw data.Note the
    "Np - No. days missing in period for precipitation" listed in the data by location.This means data on rain was missing for that many days.Many locations are missing 20 or more days of data in the last year.
    I find it odd that Ben Lomond(just south of San Fransisco) California is at 21.97 inches of rain with 21 missing data days in almost the center of the drought.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/anomlist.pl?wrcWater

Last edited:

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    CA is a generally arid place. I lived there for 15 years or so and was always struck that non-drought years looked like drought everywhere else I had lived.

I also never understood why cities and munis allowed people to have lawns in the first place. Water supplies were stressed even in good years, but people wanted to have their nice green lawns. With all the bizarre rules in that state, this might actually make some sense.

We always found it easier to have a southwestern landscaping motif with plants like cacti that were actually able to withstand the natural weather cycles, rather than to spend a bundle to keep grass green. This always made it hard for me to sympathize when the water shortage *****ing started.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I spent a summer on the upper panhandle of Texas in a little town called Dalhart back in 1988, doing pesticide toxicology work. Dalhart was part of the dust-bowl area back in the day, but when I was there they were growing many thousands of acres of corn and beans in huge spray-irrigated fields. Each field was one quarter of a section, so four fields to the square mile. Each field had a center-pivot spray-irrigator with an 8-inch pipe and a diesel powered well pump. Those well pumps ran 24/7 while there was a crop in the field and there were hundreds of fields, each with it's own well.

One day, a group of us went to the local lake and, at first wondered why the picnic area was way up on the rise above the lake. Then we found out that with all of the pumping in the area, the water table was dropping so much that the lake was drying up. The funny part was that a group of farmers had a plan to drill a couple of wells near the lake and pump water into the lake to bring the level back up and "solve" the problem.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    WOW!!!!! A desert region is in a drought????? A state that had a relatively small population of indigineous people due to it's lack of water now may have to start moving people because it is one of the most populous states in the union and doesn't have enough water...NO WAY!!!!

I guess next you are going to say that New Orleans will eventually flood because it's built below sea level...

If you want to REALLY get your panties in a wad look at the resevoir south of San Francisco that stores much of LA's water supply...It is 300 yards from the ocean and only 5 feet above sea level....One rogue wave would turn it all into salt water and LA would be in full blown SHTF within 12 hours....

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    No one in the desert SW should have a lawn anyway...it's why they call it a desert. If you want to live there shut up and rake the rocks.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    When I look at our old hood in LA the meager 750k-$1million homes now look like where the help lives and the scrub we use to play in is fully developed. It is covered in high end homes, many with pools, enjoying their ocean breeze and view of Catalina island.

I have been saying for years the SW will be the place we see wars over water both in and out of the courts. Then they will lay claim to our great lakes as the solution to their problem. I intend to be the next Joe Kennedy Sr. and run water out there so rich folks can fill their pools.

Water runs downhill and fire burns uphill. If you ever look closely at how a lot of these areas were developed, they wont last long anyway when SHTF. I will encourage my relatives in LA to go live with the ones in NYC.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The libertarian in me says "**** you" to a government that tries to impose water restrictions on me.

Why does this sound so fascist to me? Am I wrong? Am I not seeing this in the correct light?

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I spent a week in and around Los Angeles in February. Water flows but you have to pay for it as usage soars.

The customers I visited are in the final stages of building new plants outside of southern California so they can get the hell out of the craziness that is Southern California including water restricts that are now rolling out this month. I'm pretty sure other water dependent companies are looking at alternatives in other parts of the country.

The company my brother works for is leaving Irvine in 15 months years and going to Texas. He is thrilled. He has a pool and 400 to $1000 water bills are the norm for his neighborhood. He lives in the hills in Orange County.

The water police will fine you if sprinkler water is running into the street or you water on the wrong day. They have real nice trucks and uniforms with report water wasting call in numbers to turn in your neighbors. They appear to be out day and night. Also most areas do not let you capture rain water from your roof with commercial installed systems without a permit. His pool is tied into the wildfire system to wet down his house and hill in the event of a fire. That part is cool and he has a honda pump to power it if the power goes out with a fire hose.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The libertarian in me says "**** you" to a government that tries to impose water restrictions on me.

Why does this sound so fascist to me? Am I wrong? Am I not seeing this in the correct light?
    They don't have water of their own. They built a city in a bowl by the sea. You have seen the LA river and other tributaries in car chases in the movies and TV. It is an entirely unnatural circumstance, as are most cities, but worse due to temperate weather year round. So people were lulled into a sense of security because they had water. Sure, anyone who lived there was damaged by the polluted air but they had water and fresh sushi.

As I type this, I am watching ducks on one of the cleanest rivers in America. We did not end up here by accident. Clean water and Zombie killing -40 temps are both good.

You are not wrong, you just don't belong there. That's why I didn't go back after college, and we both had good job offers there.

Top Bottom