• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shifty_85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2023
    Versailles, IN
    I have my valid MI CPL I'm getting my IN driver's license this week and just wanted to make sure will I still be able to conceal carry in all the states that reciprocate with my MI CPL.

Or if I now have to get the IN equivalent of a CPL.

Thank you for the info loving the site so far!

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    First of all, welcome to Indiana and welcome to the forum!!

Indiana recently passed Constitutional Carry so no license is required to carry while within the state, and by the way, Indiana calls it a "License to Carry a Handgun" or LTCH for short. However, several states only recognize other states' licenses or permits so you might consider going ahead and getting your lifetime LTCH. You can find the process laid out here at the Indiana State Police website:

https://www.in.gov/isp/firearms-licensing/apply-for-a-new-license-to-carry/

Either way, welcome and enjoy the forums!

Shifty_85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2023
    Versailles, IN
    First of all, welcome to Indiana and welcome to the forum!!

Indiana recently passed Constitutional Carry so no license is required to carry while within the state, and by the way, Indiana calls it a "License to Carry a Handgun" or LTCH for short. However, several states only recognize other states' licenses or permits so you might consider going ahead and getting your lifetime LTCH. You can find the process laid out here at the Indiana State Police website:

https://www.in.gov/isp/firearms-licensing/apply-for-a-new-license-to-carry/

Either way, welcome and enjoy the forums!
    Perfect my gf has her LTCH I definitely will look into it.

Thank you for the info!

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Some states allow non-residents to obtain permits. Folks will get permits for states they don't live in to expand the number of states that recognize one of their permits.

If MI law says your CPL is still valid then it's still valid but you should check.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    @Shifty_85

and

If I read Michigan's correctly 28.425b (7) (b) states you are eligible for a Michigan CPL if you are a resident. The corollary of course, is that if you are no longer a resident of Michigan your are not eligible for a resident permit.

IC 35-47-2-21 Section 21 (b) states in part "Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana." Since you are now a resident of Indiana with an Indiana Drivers License, your Michigan CPL should not be recognized by Indiana. You are still lawful to carry in Indiana under our permitless carry law (Constitutional carry), but an LTCH is recommended to support carry and travel in reciprocating States.

IANAL, m $.02, etc...

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Will do I'll definitely look into it for sure.

Surprised how many states don't reciprocate with an IN LTCH though very strange!
    Part of that is because Indiana has no training requirement to obtain the license. Another part of that is because some states just suck outright and don't want to allow for reciprocity with anyone.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Will do I'll definitely look into it for sure.

Surprised how many states don't reciprocate with an IN LTCH though very strange!
    Im not.

Those that dont reciprocate? Look at their resident requirements. Most are MUCH more stringent and require training classes of some kind. Since we dont require any classes or hold our residents to the same standards, they wont honor ours. I'd bet if we added some kind of training class to ours, we would be accepted in more states. (no, Im not advocating for that)

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Get an IN LTC (for reciprocity purposes, since it's irrelevant within Indiana). Your Michigan LTC is invalid the second you get an IN Driver's License. (Even though your license is not expired, you no longer comply with 28.425b (7)(b) once you've established residency in another state.) Michigan does not offer non-resident licenses.

Shifty_85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2023
    Versailles, IN
    Im not.

Those that dont reciprocate? Look at their resident requirements. Most are MUCH more stringent and require training classes of some kind. Since we dont require any classes or hold our residents to the same standards, they wont honor ours. I'd bet if we added some kind of training class to ours, we would be accepted in more states. (no, Im not advocating for that)
    Yeah MI wasn't any big thing most of the ones offered at gun ranges are practically just an 8hr safety course and then you fire 50 or 100 rounds at a target.

But I didn't realize no class was needed for a LTCH here! Kind of makes sense if there's constitutional carry down here I don't think many people would want to have to do a class for it.

Thanks for all the replies!

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Yeah MI wasn't any big thing most of the ones offered at gun ranges are practically just an 8hr safety course and then you fire 50 or 100 rounds at a target.

But I didn't realize no class was needed for a LTCH here! Kind of makes sense if there's constitutional carry down here I don't think many people would want to have to do a class for it.

Thanks for all the replies!

When I moved to Indiana, I went to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles and the Sheriff's Office on the same day. I actually had my LTC days before I had my drivers license. (The BMV just gives you a paper temp one and then mails you the permanent one.)

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I have my valid MI CPL I'm getting my IN driver's license this week and just wanted to make sure will I still be able to conceal carry in all the states that reciprocate with my MI CPL.

Or if I now have to get the IN equivalent of a CPL.

Thank you for the info loving the site so far!
    You may want to call and ask if you mi cpl is still valid when you move out of state. The law states clearly that only mi residents may be issued a resident cpl and if your dl is from Indiana that may make it null and void.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    You might want to make sure all of your business is finished in MI before you renounce your MI citizenship. Indiana isn't gonna care if you are here and have a MI license and a gun due to constitutional carry inside Indiana.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    First of all, congrats on your escape from Whitmer's cesspool. Be sure to enjoy your new found freedom, better roads, and lower car insurance. Unfortunately, I'm still up here, but I'm planning my escape very soon.

One advantage of Michigan's CPL is that a lot of states recognize it. Get a lifetime Indiana LTCH for around the same cost as a 5 year Michigan CPL and you still get quite a few states. If you want more states, you can try to get a FL or UT non-resident license. Your Michigan CPL class will be enough for FL training requirements, but I believe UT requires a UT certified instructor (double check that).

Also, get acquainted with Indiana law regarding carrying a firearm. You are able to carry a LOT more places that you could in Michigan. Signs mean nothing, feel free to enjoy an adult beverage (responsibly), go to a hospital or church all while exercising your 2nd amendment right.

Top Bottom