• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shifty_85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2023
    Versailles, IN
    First of all, congrats on your escape from Whitmer's cesspool. Be sure to enjoy your new found freedom, better roads, and lower car insurance. Unfortunately, I'm still up here, but I'm planning my escape very soon.

One advantage of Michigan's CPL is that a lot of states recognize it. Get a lifetime Indiana LTCH for around the same cost as a 5 year Michigan CPL and you still get quite a few states. If you want more states, you can try to get a FL or UT non-resident license. Your Michigan CPL class will be enough for FL training requirements, but I believe UT requires a UT certified instructor (double check that).

Also, get acquainted with Indiana law regarding carrying a firearm. You are able to carry a LOT more places that you could in Michigan. Signs mean nothing, feel free to enjoy an adult beverage (responsibly), go to a hospital or church all while exercising your 2nd amendment right.
    Wow that's amazing and I just changed my insurance and got my truck registered down here WAYYYY cheaper than MI!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, welcome. I migrated back in the early 90's. Not planning to go back.

Last time I checked, you could carry in about 33 states with the IN LTCH. UT or AZ non-resident licenses bump that to 37 (38 if you have both) if you're interested in that sort of thing. The Michigan license gets 1 more state than IN LTCH+UT+AZ non-res licenses. (I suggesting an AZ if you want to go somewhere IN's LTCH doesn't cover, but AZ does. Several options to choose from that would satisfy their "training" req., like a state Hunter's Ed certificate.)

Most of the no-gos are places I don't want to be based on principle anyway, like CA, CT IL, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, and RI (which don't recognize MI's license either btw).

South Carolina is a weird outlier.

If constitutional carry continues to spread, this will become less and less of an issue. (Which was on to docket in SC btw, but something got in the way this legislative year.)

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I just got my lifetime LTCH after living in Nashville Tn for 14 years. Was still easy to get and is now free. All you have to pay for is the finger printing since they have an outside business do it instead of the Sharrif's Dept. When I was finishing up at the Sharrif's office, I was told that it is now free to encourage people to go ahead and get it for reciprocity and also to show people that you are a proper person to own a gun per state definition. So if you get in trouble and no longer a proper person, you have a small amount of time to surrender your LTCH. Was also told that it could take up to 60 days to get it in the mail. It arrived a week later. lol

Shifty_85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2023
    Versailles, IN
    I just got my lifetime LTCH after living in Nashville Tn for 14 years. Was still easy to get and is now free. All you have to pay for is the finger printing since they have an outside business do it instead of the Sharrif's Dept. When I was finishing up at the Sharrif's office, I was told that it is now free to encourage people to go ahead and get it for reciprocity and also to show people that you are a proper person to own a gun per state definition. So if you get in trouble and no longer a proper person, you have a small amount of time to surrender your LTCH. Was also told that it could take up to 60 days to get it in the mail. It arrived a week later. lol
    That's awesome. I'm wondering if Switzerland county being a smaller county it might go pretty quick!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Wow that's amazing and I just changed my insurance and got my truck registered down here WAYYYY cheaper than MI!
    That is largely in part due to the catastrophic injury fund you were forced to pay into in Michigan.

Also do make a complete list of every fire arm you own and request a permission slip from the state to own them. Oh wait that was Michigan not Indiana, fairly sure you will enjoy being a bit further South.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yes welcome, I am a “Wolverine” born and bred, but chose to live in a free state, most of my family still live up there, sucks to be them.
    Plus it snows up there more than it does here, so enjoy Indiana.

Shifty_85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2023
    Versailles, IN
    Yes welcome, I am a “Wolverine” born and bred, but chose to live in a free state, most of my family still live up there, sucks to be them.
    Plus it snows up there more than it does here, so enjoy Indiana.
    I definitely will. I used to like winter and snow but last year walking to my truck I slipped and fell and hit my head pretty hard so I was pretty done with winter and snow then lol.

Hoping being this far down it won't be to bad of winter down here.

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I definitely will. I used to like winter and snow but last year walking to my truck I slipped and fell and hit my head pretty hard so I was pretty done with winter and snow then lol.

Must have knocked some sense into you as you moved to IN after that!!!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

I hear you. This past feb, I fell down 5 times in the parking lot. Always at night, always while carrying groceries. Breakfall and tuck the chin ftw.

Top Bottom