• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I think they have stepped up there QC a bit. With the exception of this one. The safety rubbing the frame should have been caught, Hell there were test fired casings in the box! It was not a big deal to fix. I have not spent more the $500 for any of my 1911's. I will pick up a higher end 1911 at some point.

The 1911 is a fun gun and easy to work on. There are so many things you can upgrade on one. Just like you can a 10-22 lol. I am a big 1911 fan. I love the mechanics. They fit my hand well. I carry it IWB. It took a while to get use to but it feels natural now. I can't imagine a life without a 1911 :-)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think they have stepped up there QC a bit. With the exception of this one. The safety rubbing the frame should have been caught, Hell there were test fired casings in the box! It was not a big deal to fix. I have not spent more the $500 for any of my 1911's. I will pick up a higher end 1911 at some point.

The 1911 is a fun gun and easy to work on. There are so many things you can upgrade on one. Just like you can a 10-22 lol. I am a big 1911 fan. I love the mechanics. They fit my hand well. I carry it IWB. It took a while to get use to but it feels natural now. I can't imagine a life without a 1911 :-)

Right there with you.
    Every one I own has received some level of love and hot-rod parts not that they needed it but that I could. My RO was very accurate for an out of the box 1911. After some of this and a little bit of that it is far more accurate than I am.
    Did the same thing with an older blued finis G-I. Ed Brown and a match barrel.......:woot:
    Same treatment to another G-I in the safe. They respond so well to the attention.

All of the bits and pieces I pull out of these guns usually end up in an RIA. The improvement is noticeable just from the bushing/barrel fit up.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    CM.. I've put over 300 rounds through the double stack TCM without issue and probably a hundred or so through it with the 9MM setup in it.
    I thought I might be disappointed with the quality on the RIA guns but so far I haven't had any issues with any of them I've owned. One of the other guys at Parabellum picked up a 9MM RIA a few weeks ago and to this point he had nothing but praise for it. I'm going to try to wring the single stack a little more in the next week or so and update INGO on it.

NRA Life Member-- GSSF member
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor Certified Glock armorer

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM.. I've put over 300 rounds through the double stack TCM without issue and probably a hundred or so through it with the 9MM setup in it.
    I thought I might be disappointed with the quality on the RIA guns but so far I haven't had any issues with any of them I've owned. One of the other guys at Parabellum picked up a 9MM RIA a few weeks ago and to this point he had nothing but praise for it. I'm going to try to wring the single stack a little more in the next week or so and update INGO on it.

NRA Life Member-- GSSF member
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor Certified Glock armorer

I must be cursed when it comes to Island 1911's....nothing but crap luck. Add to that I turn a few around for friends and others that want upgrades and I see how out of spec some of them are it has jaded me a bit admittedly.
    I would love for folks to be able to get on board with the 1911 south of a $500 bill. More the merrier.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've had two RIA 9mms that needed significant work to make them functional and reasonably good shooters. So far their Citadel-branded cousin functions okay, but it's only had a few hundred rounds through it. Too soon to tell, but it's promising.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I must be cursed when it comes to Island 1911's....nothing but crap luck. Add to that I turn a few around for friends and others that want upgrades and I see how out of spec some of them are it has jaded me a bit admittedly.
    I would love for folks to be able to get on board with the 1911 south of a $500 bill. More the merrier.
    I'm not sure where RIA gets their dimensions for their 1911s but as you said they are not "in spec" with the rest of the 1911 community. I tried to put a Cyl&Slide Hammer/Sear setup in one and it was a nogo for sure.. Those parts have dropped in every 1911 I've tried them in but the frame and possibly the location for the pivot pins for the sear and hammer are enough out of spec that the parts simply don't work. Just FYI..

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm not sure where RIA gets their dimensions for their 1911s but as you said they are not "in spec" with the rest of the 1911 community. I tried to put a Cyl&Slide Hammer/Sear setup in one and it was a nogo for sure.. Those parts have dropped in every 1911 I've tried them in but the frame and possibly the location for the pivot pins for the sear and hammer are enough out of spec that the parts simply don't work. Just FYI..

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

That is exactly what I was refering to. I have to open up the width of the frame to get the hammer/sear combo into nearly every one I have worked on. Did not have the pin location issue but the barrel pin slide lock hole location varies a lot.

Last edited:

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    ---" I have not spent more the $500 for any of my 1911's. I will pick up a higher end 1911 at some point. "

The Remington 1911 r1 enhanced, was just 739.00 and with the rebate,
    [h=1]200 rounds of Remington HTP .45 Automatic 230-Grain Centerfire Handgun Ammunitio.

(Not a bad deal imo)

[/h]

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That is exactly what I was refering to. I have to open up the with of the frame to get the hammer/sear combo into nearly every one I have worked on. Did not have the pin location issue but the barrel pin slide lock hole location varies a lot.

I need to replace the sear in my Citadel. I wonder how much fitting there will be with that? I will find out in the near future. Who's sears to you recommend CM?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have had good results with Wilson's sears, also with Nowlin's.

And yet another .45...my first at 18, a 1948 production C serial number gun...and doesn't everyone need a 27 round drum for their 1911?

drum1.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I need to replace the sear in my Citadel. I wonder how much fitting there will be with that? I will find out in the near future. Who's sears to you recommend CM?

I'm not CM, but if you're going to replace the sear, you should probably replace the hammer too (unless the sear actually broke).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I can afford a more expensive. I just feel less guilty when one of these gets scratched!! :D

There's nothing wrong with a gun that has the patina of use. That said, I still cannot bring myself to crawl on concrete with a 1911 on my hip. Glock: No problem, but a 1911 deserves a bit more respect. Even the 'beater' 1911s I have don't get abused.

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?

I've had good luck with Wilson sears and hammers. When I upgraded the internal parts of a Colt DE, the leftovers dropped right into my RIA Compact and see to work well there.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'm not CM, but if you're going to replace the sear, you should probably replace the hammer too (unless the sear actually broke).

The sear is defective. About 20% of the engagement surface does engage. It should have not made it threw QC. I found it with my stoning jig. The I would have to stone off of it is more then I feel comfortable with. So, Replacement time. The hammer is fine. FYI on this gun. I have had it for over 4 years. It has many many thousands of rounds threw it. It has not malfunctioned. Probably won't, but I want to replace it anyway.

There's nothing wrong with a gun that has the patina of use. That said, I still cannot bring myself to crawl on concrete with a 1911 on my hip. Glock: No problem, but a 1911 deserves a bit more respect. Even the 'beater' 1911s I have don't get abused.

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?

I've had good luck with Wilson sears and hammers. When I upgraded the internal parts of a Colt DE, the leftovers dropped right into my RIA Compact and see to work well there.

My guns are tools. They get used. Pretty guns don't usually get added to my stable. I do have a Glock and a Sig. I have had a XD. I don't beat on my guns but they get worn from being used/carried. My 1911's are my go to guns along with my S&W 640-3. I haven't carried the Glock or Sig much. I like the 1911 feel.

I haven't shot the RIA Tactical yet. I have been laid up with a back issue. I just got SI joint injections and am hopeful that I will be moving around well enough to get some trigger time this weekend. I will post results!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have used Ed Brown, Wilson, Cylinder and slide, Knowling. The cylinder and slide pieces are nice as are all the others.

Rhino is correct.
    I would not replace the sear without also doing the hammer. They need to be a matched set. An aftermarket sear will not be MIM. The hammer in your gun is. They need to be a matched set or at least like materials. Find a set . Match them with your sear/hammer jug. You will not be sorry.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have used Ed Brown, Wilson, Cylinder and slide, Knowling. The cylinder and slide pieces are nice as are all the others.

I would noy replace the sear without also doing the hammer. They need to be a matched set. An aftermarket sear will not be MIM. The hammer in your gun is. They need to be a matched set or at least like materials. Find a set . Match them with your sear/hammer jug. You will not be sorry.

Sounds like a plan. I'll do both. Thanks for the tip CM!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Here is a pic of the offending sear. I ran the stone over a few times and this is what I see. It's enough of a imperfection that I can feel it with my fingernail. It's not gonna buff out. :(

There is a lot of engagement but it's not right!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The hammer hooks engage on the outside edges of the sear. Only about 20% or so of the sear is actually in contact with the hammer hooks. If you look at a well used sear (especially an MIM part) you can see wear marks and sometimes feel them.

I have the same block.....love it. Almost idiot proof.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The hammer hooks engage on the outside edges of the sear. Only about 20% or so of the sear is actually in contact with the hammer hooks. If you look at a well used sear (especially an MIM part) you can see wear marks and sometimes feel them.

I had not really thought that out. So the issue is worse then it appears :-(

This is the first time I used it (the jig). It makes it easy. It's a keeper. When this 1911 is done I will run the other hammer and sear threw it and see what it looks like.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

What kind/brand jig is that? Can you work both the hammer and sear on the tool?

Top Bottom