• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What kind/brand jig is that? Can you work both the hammer and sear on the tool?

Yes. It is for both. It allows you to square up and polish the hammer hooks and address the sear. If set up right you can do both angles on the sear and polish it during the process. Brand escapes me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had not really thought that out. So the issue is worse then it appears :-(

This is the first time I used it (the jig). It makes it easy. It's a keeper. When this 1911 is done I will run the other hammer and sear threw it and see what it looks like.

Once you skin off the hard surface of MIM parts they have a shortened life span. Keep a good watch on the hammer sear area after a lot of shooting.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The hammer hooks engage on the outside edges of the sear. Only about 20% or so of the sear is actually in contact with the hammer hooks. If you look at a well used sear (especially an MIM part) you can see wear marks and sometimes feel them.

I have the same block.....love it. Almost idiot proof.

I had over 20K rounds through Old Faithful, my Kimber Eclipse Target II, when the hammer started following. That was actually pretty good lifespan for MIM parts!!! I did not bother to check to see what the problem was since by that point I was on borrowed time anyway. Got a Cylinder & Slide kit with sear, hammer, disconnector, and sear spring and whiz-bang-boom, back in business.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had over 20K rounds through Old Faithful, my Kimber Eclipse Target II, when the hammer started following. That was actually pretty good lifespan for MIM parts!!! I did not bother to check to see what the problem was since by that point I was on borrowed time anyway. Got a Cylinder & Slide kit with sear, hammer, disconnector, and sear spring and whiz-bang-boom, back in business.

20K is nothing to sneeze at. How many recoil springs in that run??
    Those kits are really nice. I have them in a few guns that have crossed the bench.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Looking through the box of 1911 parts I think it may be time for another 1911 build...

cf581150-2886-497c-9f9d-22744c2e1775_zps47d6b3ad.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    20K is nothing to sneeze at. How many recoil springs in that run??
    Those kits are really nice. I have them in a few guns that have crossed the bench.

Actually, I changed to a Wolff 18.5# spring when it was new and after that . . . same spring. If it's any shorter than when it was new, it's tough to tell even compared to a brand new spring.

Almost all of the rounds shot were factory 230gr FMJ, with maybe 15% 200gr LSWC loads that comfortably made major power factor for USPSA.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Actually, I changed to a Wolff 18.5# spring when it was new and after that . . . same spring. If it's any shorter than when it was new, it's tough to tell even compared to a brand new spring.

Almost all of the rounds shot were factory 230gr FMJ, with maybe 15% 200gr LSWC loads that comfortably made major power factor for USPSA.

Sweet.
    I seriously doubt the OEM spring would run that long.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I have several 1911's, but man, I wish I knew how to work on them like you guys do. I'd love to build one, or even buy a cheap one just to do upgrades on for the experience, but I have no clue where to start.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have several 1911's, but man, I wish I knew how to work on them like you guys do. I'd love to build one, or even buy a cheap one just to do upgrades on for the experience, but I have no clue where to start.

Tools........a lot of spec tooling for the 1911 platform. Brownells is your friend.

When you get that done check back and step 2 will be discussed.

We will be waiting patiently......:)

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Here is a pretty cool animation.
    [video=youtube;E6SmlOEzNBs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6SmlOEzNBs&feature=player_embedded[/video]

It's a start to understanding the 1911's workings.

Top Bottom