• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Wrong. Unless you are carrying an old 1800's Colt SAA or something similar. Modern revolvers are completely safe to carry with one under the hammer.

Not to mention with revolvers being DA, unless you cock the hammer. You are "very" unlikely to have ND.

Colonel D

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indy
    Every pistol we own is ready to go with one in the chamber. Absolutely takes the guesswork out of it. One should always treat any gun as if it were loaded anyway and, in our case, they are. :yesway:

rhino1303

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    I never keep one in the chamber, I can't seem to trust a safety that well. The way I look at it, I think it's too easy to hurry up and rack the slide. I can't take a chance on an accident with one in the chamber all the time.

JCR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Definetely one in the chamber. Would she be able to chamber a round in a high stress situation? What if she was also injured by the time the weapon was drawn?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I never keep one in the chamber, I can't seem to trust a safety that well. The way I look at it, I think it's too easy to hurry up and rack the slide. I can't take a chance on an accident with one in the chamber all the time.

Did you see the video posted earlier of the guy that died because he fumbled racking the slide? I carried with an empty chamber too, until I saw a similar vid last year. That's one of the reasons I dont carry a gun with an active safety now. XD9sc, one in the chamber, no active safety, pull, point, n shoot.

Ultimately, your brain is the only safety you need.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    All are nice theories...however, with three small children in the house (6, 3, & 2) we do NOT keep a round chambered in our Glocks! Why, I will take the risk that I have a second to chamber around vs. take the risk that one of our children will find a way to get ahold of the gun and 'accidently' pull the trigger and shoot either themselves or their siblings. The Glocks are 'out and up' where we can grab them in a hurry, where as my daily carry revolver, is kept in the safe when it's not on my person.

So, while there is a difference for us (carry a revolver but keep it in the safe) where as our semi-autos are out, but without a round chambered. If it's in or around the house, I'll be grabbing a shotgun or AR anyhow...not messing with a little 'ole pistol!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Wrong. Unless you are carrying an old 1800's Colt SAA or something similar. Modern revolvers are completely safe to carry with one under the hammer.

Double-ditto that! With the slide bar safety, a revolver is perfectly safe to carry 'fully loaded.' With an older, 'pointed/hammer' (where the hammer is actually the firing pin) it WAS dangerous to carry a revolver with a bullet under the hammer, as was the pre-80's series 1911's. With today's revolvers, you're perfectly safe. I carry one every day...no problems in 15+ years.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Automatics Yes, Revolver No. Never in a revolver. A hammer strike could discharge the weapon.

I'm assuming some serious thought has been put into this statement, but I respectfully disagree. On modern revolvers this will not happen unless something is seriously wrong with the inner mechanisms. And my wife and I have tried to have a hammer strike set off a chambered primer in some of our Smiths with hammer mounted firing pins. We couldn't get it to happen no matter what we tried. In fact, in our little experiment, we couldn't get the primer to pop even with the hammer pulled 3/4 back. Of course, it's hard to make a blanket statement for all revolvers on this matter, but for our revolvers it isn't an issue.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Did you see the video posted earlier of the guy that died because he fumbled racking the slide? I carried with an empty chamber too, until I saw a similar vid last year. That's one of the reasons I dont carry a gun with an active safety now. XD9sc, one in the chamber, no active safety, pull, point, n shoot.

Ultimately, your brain is the only safety you need.

I agree 100% with this statement! That's what makes Glocks so great! If you understand this principle, you don't need a 'thumb' or 'grip' safety!

I grew up with revolvers and they operate on the same principle...no safety except the one between your ears...which is probably one reason I like Glock pistols so much. DA(O) revolvers and Glocks operate on, basically, the same principle.

bigjross2002

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    I agree with carrying a revolver because of the lengthened trigger pull. I dont believe in carrying a weapon without a round in the chamber. If proper firearm safety and carry procedures are followed is shouldnt matter if the gun is hot or not. I also feel the in a defense scenario that the critical seconds under stress would make the weapon hard to bring into the fight. For instance what about having to defend yourself one handed and get to your firearm? Most gunfights are very close in proximity and action is faster than reaction. I would hate to need to use a gun pull it out only to have it grabbed by a assailant as I worked a slide.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I hope she re-consider's purse carry. Not a good place to carry. Adds too much time and risk when time is of the essence.

If she would conceal carry on her person, then there's little chance with issue's with the kids. Because she should leave it on her person at all times.

A Manual safety isn't a big deal as long as you train properly with it. As you draw your weapon, your thumb should come down and disengage the saftey as your finishing your grip.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    This is one that you really have to feel comfortable about before you decide to carry a one in the chamber or not. One thing I believe for sure is before you even carry the gun you should become very comfortable and familar. I am switching from a small DA revolver to a small DA only semi-auto. I probably won't switch over completely till I have put a lot of range time on the semi-auto. But like I have seen on this and the video that was posted earlier is it is probably better to have one ready to go at the pull of a trigger.

Top Bottom